What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't see this being a memory leak problem with the server. If that were that case then this forum would be full of posts about it. It doesn't appear to be related to file size either as I can quite happily copy 5GB+ files with no problem.

So it must be something to do with the app. The only thing that comes to mind is if the app is trying to do lots (10+) of concurrent file transfers. I would speculate that in that circumstance the router might run out of memory or become unresponsive.

Thanks for your reply. I think you got a good point here. Perhaps Merlin could confirm this. Is there a way to capture Samba logs during sync?

Thanks for your reply. I think you got a good point here. Perhaps Merlin could confirm this. Is there a way to capture Samba logs during sync?
Well, I seem to have disproved my own theory.

I started 5 simultaneous file transfers of large files (600MB+ each) and used "top" on the router to watch the processes and memory. All files transferred at equal speed with no problems. On the router the number of processes and memory usage did not increase at all.

All in all I'm very impressed by how efficient SAMBA is!

Well, I seem to have disproved my own theory.

I started 5 simultaneous file transfers of large files (600MB+ each) and used "top" on the router to watch the processes and memory. All files transferred at equal speed with no problems. On the router the number of processes and memory usage did not increase at all.

All in all I'm very impressed by how efficient SAMBA is!

Wow. Thanks for testing this. Do you know if there is a log for Samba? I would like to capture log during sync..

Wow. Thanks for testing this. Do you know if there is a log for Samba? I would like to capture log during sync..
There is a samba log file but it only records critical errors, like the server crashing. Normally you can change the log level to show more information but on the ASUS this feature has been disabled. I did ask RMerlin if he could re-enable it but I didn't get a reply.

There is a samba log file but it only records critical errors, like the server crashing. Normally you can change the log level to show more information but on the ASUS this feature has been disabled. I did ask RMerlin if he could re-enable it but I didn't get a reply.

Where is this log file located? Merlin could you please shine some light on Samba logging and how/if it can be enabled? I think that this is the only thing that can help me resolve this problem....

Host Name of Router

My ISP needs a custom Hostname of the Router:
Settings -> WAN -> Internet Connection -> Host Name

I was always able to enter "gateway.home" to enable internet connection via FTTH modem. Used to work with all firmwares <=374.42

Had 374.42 installed and no problem.
Installed 374.43 and did no reset of settings. Therefore the previous setting still works.
Now after reset no Host Name entry with special chars is possible!
Code:
Router login name only accept alphanumeric characters, under line and dash symbol. The first character cannot be dash "-" or under line "_".

Installed newest Asus Firmware, but the same problem with 376.1071 Firmware.
:(

What can i do to still enable alternative hostnames with special chars (dot)?
See screenshot attached. This makes the router unusable with my ISP.

Please help,
Pappl

Attachments

• RT-N66U WAN Hostname.pdf
    105.8 KB · Views: 373
My ISP needs a custom Hostname of the Router:
Settings -> WAN -> Internet Connection -> Host Name

I was always able to enter "gateway.home" to enable internet connection via FTTH modem. Used to work with all firmwares <=374.42

Had 374.42 installed and no problem.
Installed 374.43 and did no reset of settings. Therefore the previous setting still works.
Now after reset no Host Name entry with special chars is possible!
Code:
Router login name only accept alphanumeric characters, under line and dash symbol. The first character cannot be dash "-" or under line "_".

Installed newest Asus Firmware, but the same problem with 376.1071 Firmware.
:(

What can i do to still enable alternative hostnames with special chars (dot)?
See screenshot attached. This makes the router unusable with my ISP.

Please help,
Pappl

Done with commit fa2f5a9312a201a656b19ba25e96a39542986e00.

when will there be a merilin version of the 376.xxx firmware

The next Merlin release will be in the 376 version of the firmware and it will be released when it's ready. When? It's safe to say maybe within two months. :eek:

The next Merlin release will be in the 376 version of the firmware and it will be released when it's ready. When? It's safe to say maybe within two months. :eek:

Agree but i doubt it will be 2 months i am hoping in the next 2 weeks.. :D

hi guys ...have some issues with entware

i made a hard reset of the router using the button and using the recovery menu, then i set it up and tried to install entware

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Fri Jun  6 20:30:43 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# entware-setup.sh
 Info:  This script will guide you through the Entware installation.
 Info:  Script modifies only "entware" folder on the chosen drive,
 Info:  no other data will be touched. Existing installation will be
 Info:  replaced with this one. Also some start scripts will be installed,
 Info:  the old ones will be saved to .entwarejffs_scripts_backup.tgz

Info:  Looking for available partitions...
[1] --> /tmp/mnt/Internal
 =>  Please enter partition number or 0 to exit
[0-1]: 1
 Info:  /tmp/mnt/Internal selected.

* Warning:  Found previous installation, deleting...
 Info:  Creating /tmp/mnt/Internal/entware folder...
 * Warning:  Deleting old /tmp/opt symlink...
 Info:  Creating /tmp/opt symlink...
 Info:  Creating /jffs scripts backup...
tar: removing leading '/' from member names
 Info:  Modifying start scripts...
 Info:  Starting Entware deployment....

Connecting to entware.wl500g.info (81.4.122.163:80)
entware_install.sh   100% |*******************************|  1141   0:00:00 ETA
Info: Checking for prerequisites and creating folders...
Info: Opkg package manager deployment...
Connecting to entware.wl500g.info (81.4.122.163:80)
opkg                 100% |*******************************|   456k  0:00:00 ETA
wget: bad address 'entware.wl500g.info'
Info: Basic packages installation...
Collected errors:
 * opkg_conf_load: Couldn't stat /opt/etc/opkg.conf: No such file or directory.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_conf_load: Couldn't stat /opt/etc/opkg.conf: No such file or directory.
Info: Cleanup...
Info: Congratulations!
Info: If there are no errors above then Entware successfully initialized.
Info: Found a Bug? Please report at https://github.com/Entware/entware/issues

took about 5 minutes to get this messages....so very very slow download.
Is there a problem with the repo ? or my setup

problem with opkg repo

i have the same problem. Today morning i'm trying to install the rsnapshot utility but i get the error :

Code:
Installing rsnapshot (1.3.1-1) to root...
Downloading [url]http://wl500g-repo.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/openwrt/rsnapshot_1.3.1-1_entware.ipk[/url].
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download [url]http://wl500g-repo.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/openwrt/rsnapshot_1.3.1-1_entware.ipk[/url], wget returned 1.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download rsnapshot. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package rsnapshot.

may be a repo problem ? seems to be empty ! if u visit the url (setted in /opt/etc/opkg.conf) http://wl500g-repo.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/openwrt/ there are only 8 packets .... :confused:

what happens ?

tnks in advice for help
crpt0

There are two different DNS settings, and they work differently.

The one under LAN DHCP is what IP gets sent to the clients over DHCP.

The two under WAN is what gets used by the router.

Normal behaviour is DHCP provides the router's IP to clients, and client queries are sent to the router, which are resolved by what's on the WAN page (either manual, or ISP's automatic DNS).

Merlin, can you please specify how the DUAL WAN works in your firmware?

I have 2 modems, one is an adsl and other is a cable modem..
somehow the "fall back" connection on LAN 1 never gets ip nor connect properly when the main one is down... any idea what could cause it?

are there any particular options or settings to follow to fully enable dual wan?

(edit)
as other mentioned in this forum, with version .43 the settings for the secondary wan are not visible.. I cannot get to select PPPoE or auto IP or anything like that.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 523
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
That was already changed over three months ago:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/93669123527b03ce238954dd6e3169f7cfa6d285

Chances are it's your local installation that's in need of updating - that's beyond the firmware control.

hi, can you explain ? is not clear to me .....what do i need to update ?

it worked when i first installed the latest build, but after that i made a reset (by pressing the button and by entering clear nvram command in recovery menu ) and the script did not work :confused:

i made it work now as crpt0 said in his post, copying opkg.conf file in /etc/opt.

So reseting to factory defaults clears that file? As i said it worked fine first time i installed it

hi, can you explain ? is not clear to me .....what do i need to update ?

it worked when i first installed the latest build, but after that i made a reset (by pressing the button and by entering clear nvram command in recovery menu ) and the script did not work :confused:

i made it work now as crpt0 said in his post, copying opkg.conf file in /etc/opt.

So reseting to factory defaults clears that file? As i said it worked fine first time i installed it

You would have to ask ryzhov_al. I don't know what steps are necessary to update an existing Entware installation to use his new package repository.