What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

After years of procrastinating, I've finally managed to update my router to the latest firmware (rt-ac5300).
I've factory reset everything and started everything from scratch.
I do have one problem though, when I disable the leds, one still remains on (the third led (5Ghz)).

Is these a bug or is there anyway i can turn this light off please?

I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't a huge deal but its slightly bugging me as i haven't experienced this on previous firmware's

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Hi All

After years of procrastinating, I've finally managed to update my router to the latest firmware (rt-ac5300).
I do have one problem though, when I disable the leds, one still remains on (the third led (5Ghz)).

I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't a huge deal but its slightly bugging me as i haven't experienced this on previous firmware's

I checked with both my RT-AC5300's and lights out = all lights out

Hi All

Did you factory reset after upgrading (not just before)? Guess you can try wiping it again, format jffs, and reconfigure again. Or use a piece of electrical tape :)

@SheikhSheikha Thanks for checking weird i have one light still on?

@drinkingbird I completed reset my router, reformatted the jffs and started the configuration all from scratch.
May have to use the tape method then 😆

Not a deal breaker, ill probably wait for the next major release and if it still happening, I'll try to reset and try again

UPDATE
Just tried turning off all the lights and this time everything went off!
Strange as I was trying all day yesterday!!
I think I was tinkering around with the settings too much trying to get everything back up and running.
Looks like all my router needed was time to settle down!!!

Thank for everyone help though!!

Last edited:
@SheikhSheikha Thanks for checking weird i have one light still on?

@drinkingbird I completed reset my router, reformatted the jffs and started the configuration all from scratch.
May have to use the tape method then 😆

Not a deal breaker, ill probably wait for the next major release and if it still happening, I'll try to reset and try again

UPDATE
Just tried turning off all the lights and this time everything went off!
Strange as I was trying all day yesterday!!
I think I was tinkering around with the settings too much trying to get everything back up and running.
Looks like all my router needed was time to settle down!!!

Thank for everyone help though!!

Yeah certain firmware versions (I think especially when going to 386) can take 30 minutes or more to finish re-doing all the file structure and NVRAM variable name changes etc. That's why the "nuclear" process for upgrades specifies to wait for the CPUs to settle before moving to the next step (like the factory reset). Odd that it would impact only one light, but who knows, maybe that NVRAM variable name was updated much later in the process than the others or something.

It looks like 386.10 still has the ARP, ICMP, IPv6, and basic intra-router client connectivity issues on the AC5300 that started with version 386.4. My AC5300 has been up for just under five days running 386.10 and it just started having these issues again. I will power cycle and try again. If it occurs again, I will revert back to 386.3_2 which does not have the issue.

That's not a crash, that's the 5 GHz radio being switched to a different channel by the automatic channel selection daemon (acsd)
I found this would happen only when using a DFS channel - when launching the Site Survey tab it would cause the 5GHz radio to drop (and come back on the same channel eventually).
Doesn't seem to happen with non-DFS channels (and not sure if this is new behaviour either, as I just tried with the DFS channel on this latest firmware).

I found this would happen only when using a DFS channel - when launching the Site Survey tab it would cause the 5GHz radio to drop (and come back on the same channel eventually).
Doesn't seem to happen with non-DFS channels (and not sure if this is new behaviour either, as I just tried with the DFS channel on this latest firmware).

I would guess the site survey telling the radio to scan, when set to a DFS channel, kicks off the full 60 second mandated DFS scan. Whether a bug or just the way it works, don't know.

The simple act of observing, changes the thing observed.

Internet disconnects seldomly since I upgraded from version 386.7_2 to this one (386.10)
Anybody else encountered this issue? Never had this happen before with any of the previous versions. Happens several times daily, strongly considering to downgrade until it gets fixed.

Issue gets (temporarily) fixed after I simply reboot the AC86U device, meaning it is not the ONT or anything else connected behind it. Does this even during the night, when everything else is turned off. What could be causing it?

Hardware setup: optical fiber (WAN) - ONT (set as bridge) - AC86U (set as router) - rest of the LAN. Everything powered trough UPS, so no power fluctuations either.

Updated all my devices to 386.10 from the beta - all running well for the past two hours…

Thanks Merlin!
Update: Smooth sailing for 12+ days of uptime. No drops or issues across all devices connected - Thank you again Merlin!

Internet disconnects seldomly since I upgraded from version 386.7_2 to this one (386.10)
Anybody else encountered this issue? Never had this happen before with any of the previous versions. Happens several times daily, strongly considering to downgrade until it gets fixed.

Issue gets (temporarily) fixed after I simply reboot the AC86U device, meaning it is not the ONT or anything else connected behind it. Does this even during the night, when everything else is turned off. What could be causing it?

Hardware setup: optical fiber (WAN) - ONT (set as bridge) - AC86U (set as router) - rest of the LAN. Everything powered trough UPS, so no power fluctuations either.
Ac68u, my sisters router, she was complaining about her wifi not connecting sometimes and internet being worse. So I downgraded to 386.9 and she says it’s better now. I done hard resets for both firmware as well. There is also two other people with these issues on here as well, but on ac86u I believe

I had same symptoms with fiber : try to put NO to Enable VPN + DHCP Connection in WAN section.
I have resolved my problem with that.

I had same symptoms with fiber : try to put NO to Enable VPN + DHCP Connection in WAN section.
I have resolved my problem with that.
Can't seem to find the settings you're referring to, but maybe that's because I'm still 386.9...

Can you please upload a screenshot of your settings to help me find it, thanks!

Can't seem to find the settings you're referring to, but maybe that's because I'm still 386.9...

Can you please upload a screenshot of your settings to help me find it, thanks!
That setting they mention may only be available depending on what value one selects for WAN Connection Type. For example on a RT-AC68U running 386.10 the Enable VPN + DHCP Connection option is available if the WAN Connection Type is set to PPPoE.
WAN_PPoE.jpg

That setting they mention may only be available depending on what value one selects for WAN Connection Type. For example on a RT-AC68U running 386.10 the Enable VPN + DHCP Connection option is available if the WAN Connection Type is set to PPPoE.
View attachment 48890
That's the reason then, mine is set to automatic ip...
Thank you for the inlightment!

View attachment 48890
Isn't that depend on your provider? You can't just select PPPoE.

Isn't that depend on your provider? You can't just select PPPoE.
Sure you can select PPPoE. Give it a try if you are running Asus Merlin. You can select any of the available WAN Connection Type values. You'll see additional options become available or a disabled/hidden as the option selection change. However, if you try to apply (Apply button) the selection change that is where one may have an issue, particularly if their broadband service isn't (or doesn't support) PPPoE.

Last edited:
Sure you can select PPPoE. Give it a try if you are running Asus Merlin. You can select any of the available WAN Connection Type values. You'll see additional options become available or a disabled/hidden as the option selection change. However, if you try to apply (Apply button) the selection change that is where one may have an issue, particularly if their broadband service isn't (or doesn't support) PPPoE. In my case if I change from Automatic IP and select PPPoE and hit the apply button I get a warning message:
View attachment 48896
Yes, you can select it but it does not mean it is what your provider is. Comcast is not PPPoE and I believe my verizon 5g home service is not it either. You suppose to refer to your provider for that settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!