What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the nvram problem only for RT-AC68U? I dirty upgraded my RT-AC86U. the nvram was around 50% used for the first few days. now i see it's at 92%. i rebooted and it's back to 50%. should i do a hard reset?
Are you confusing nvram and RAM? nvram should not change after a reboot (since it's non-volatile), but RAM would because buffers and caches would be cleared.

Are you confusing nvram and RAM? nvram should not change after a reboot (since it's non-volatile), but RAM would because buffers and caches would be cleared.

OK, yes. That's what I did, lol. I was looking at the RAM on the homepage. I see under the Tools section that NVRAM is at 52%. So should I be concerned about the RAM being at 92%? Just do a weekly reboot?

OK, yes. That's what I did, lol. I was looking at the RAM on the homepage. I see under the Tools section that NVRAM is at 52%. So should I be concerned about the RAM being at 92%? Just do a weekly reboot?
RAM is meant to be used...but if it fills up, things can bog down.
If you're concerned about that, you should look into using amtm to make a swap file/drive on a USB-connected device
(asus routers can be like the windows computers of a few years back - more RAM makes them smoother/"faster")

This swap on USB device is mostly useless. It's there for compatibility and prevent crashing when scripts update blocklists. If your router is running out or RAM and starts swapping for common router tasks - it's dead. You even won't be able to browse the GUI. It doesn't make your router "faster".

If you have a HDD connected and shared then it is normal for the RAM to fill up. That's how it used to work anyway. Dismount the HDD and the ram usage goes down again. Some other services can also leads to ram jumping up, like using the Asus app on your phone.

So should I be concerned about the RAM being at 92%?
You need to look at what is causing high RAM usage. Are you running extra scripts? Have a USB device attached? Running VPN? Have AiProtection and or Parental Controls active? Have you accessed the router via SSH and run top to see what is using memory?

They're just notification messages. Asus is just hiding them by filtering them from the display when accessing the System Log page, so if you are sending logs to a remote syslog server, these will be visible again.
Using Scribe/UIScribe - guess that counts as a remote Syslog server. If these are notification messages, I am not sure if there it a log_level value I can use to filter them out that won't impact other stuff. Would building a filter for scribe for these to clean up the logs (and logrotate because it's flooding the log) help mitigate the noise these generate in the log?

So I have my AiMesh setup like this: main router (RT-AX68U - 388.1) + 2 nodes (RTAC68P upgraded to 386.10 from 9) - 1 node is 1gig connected to the main, the other is connected on the 5GHz to the main.

Ever since I upgraded the nodes, I have been having Wifi disconnects from devices that are a couple feet away from node 1 (with one or two walls in between) - these devices are on the 2.4Ghz network and are TVs, Fire Sticks, Wyze Camera, etc
The TV and the Wyze camera were what made me realize something was off because of the random disconnects happening consistently...I tried moving control channel to a less occupied on (6) and the drops still continued to happen. I made sure to bind the TV and the camera to the node 1 but the drops still continued.

So I reverted back the 386.9 and the connection has been solid.

What can I look at to try to figure out what could be causing the disconnects, are there any logs that I could take a look at that would be present on the nodes?

Thanks.

You need to look at what is causing high RAM usage. Are you running extra scripts? Have a USB device attached? Running VPN? Have AiProtection and or Parental Controls active? Have you accessed the router via SSH and run top to see what is using memory?
strange, my setup is very basic. no hdd's or scripts. i will check that out, thanks.

So I have my AiMesh setup like this: main router (RT-AX68U - 388.1) + 2 nodes (RTAC68P upgraded to 386.10 from 9) - 1 node is 1gig connected to the main, the other is connected on the 5GHz to the main.

Ever since I upgraded the nodes, I have been having Wifi disconnects from devices that are a couple feet away from node 1 (with one or two walls in between) - these devices are on the 2.4Ghz network and are TVs, Fire Sticks, Wyze Camera, etc
The TV and the Wyze camera were what made me realize something was off because of the random disconnects happening consistently...I tried moving control channel to a less occupied on (6) and the drops still continued to happen. I made sure to bind the TV and the camera to the node 1 but the drops still continued.

So I reverted back the 386.9 and the connection has been solid.

What can I look at to try to figure out what could be causing the disconnects, are there any logs that I could take a look at that would be present on the nodes?

Thanks.
Actually , when I upgraded my sisters ac68u, she’s been having disconnects and sometimes can’t connect again until multiple tries. I may try rolling back too!

Got a stange one, within AMTM on the 5300 router I can issue a "U" to see if there are any updates for the scripts and then go and apply them. On the node (even after reboots) I get an errors with trying to reach the urls: associated with each script/Entware at the same time that its reports that it can't reach the individual sites, a ping to the url for each failed on is successful, a traceroute shows the next hop being the router. Even disabling Skynet on the router didn't matter, remember even the router is able to upgrade even with Skynet running. Any ideas?

Got a stange one, within AMTM on the 5300 router I can issue a "U" to see if there are any updates for the scripts and then go and apply them. On the node (even after reboots) I get an errors with trying to reach the urls: associated with each script/Entware at the same time that its reports that it can't reach the individual sites, a ping to the url for each failed on is successful, a traceroute shows the next hop being the router. Even disabling Skynet on the router didn't matter, remember even the router is able to upgrade even with Skynet running. Any ideas?
you shouldn't need to run any scripts on the nodes in an AiMesh setup- the router handles everything. (the nodes just extend/enhance wifi coverage.)
In fact, it's widely recommended to leave the nodes on stock Asus firmware with Merlin on the router, possibly to prevent issues, probably even the ones you're having.

you shouldn't need to run any scripts on the nodes in an AiMesh setup- the router handles everything. (the nodes just extend/enhance wifi coverage.)
In fact, it's widely recommended to leave the nodes on stock Asus firmware with Merlin on the router, possibly to prevent issues, probably even the ones you're having.
Been doing this for awhile, and yes I know it’s suggested but for a couple of reasons I like using Merlín on the nodes (wired backhaul)

I run SCMerlin on the nodes in case I need to restart WiFi to avoid a reboot

As the node is in a bedroom I run the LED scheduler, another script

I also run scribe on the node forwarding to the scribe on the router

I know many people have had issues finding and adding a node, but knock on wood I’ve been successful. I set the router to prefer wired backhaul to discover the node (hw reset the node just before adding it makes it work nicely).

Still this issue has me baffled as a ping and traceroute to the urls are successful but via AMTM it fails to find them.

Actually , when I upgraded my sisters ac68u, she’s been having disconnects and sometimes can’t connect again until multiple tries. I may try rolling back too!
Since rolling back it has been stable all day, so I'm going to stay on this firmware till the next one

Been doing this for awhile, and yes I know it’s suggested but for a couple of reasons I like using Merlín on the nodes (wired backhaul)

I run SCMerlin on the nodes in case I need to restart WiFi to avoid a reboot

As the node is in a bedroom I run the LED scheduler, another script

I also run scribe on the node forwarding to the scribe on the router

I know many people have had issues finding and adding a node, but knock on wood I’ve been successful. I set the router to prefer wired backhaul to discover the node (hw reset the node just before adding it makes it work nicely).

Still this issue has me baffled as a ping and traceroute to the urls are successful but via AMTM it fails to find them.
I used to be an AiMesh proponent, but now I'm more inclined to just set up a bunch of APs...especially since they're wired. Perhaps this will offer you some food for thought:

I can understand the LED schedule.
Scribe and forwarding...sounds over the top to me.
scMerlin for reboots? just pull power and re-plug when it's convenient. It will come right back up
Simple and stable is the goal....always available wifi...

I used to be an AiMesh proponent, but now I'm more inclined to just set up a bunch of APs...especially since they're wired. Perhaps this will offer you some food for thought:

I can understand the LED schedule.
Scribe and forwarding...sounds over the top to me.
scMerlin for reboots? just pull power and re-plug when it's convenient. It will come right back up
Simple and stable is the goal....always available wifi...
SCMerlin to restart WiFi so as NOT to reboot

SCMerlin to restart WiFi so as NOT to reboot
AP/node uptime isn't as critical to me as router uptime...
not debating, just stating my opinion.

AP/node uptime isn't as critical to me as router uptime...
not debating, just stating my opinion.
I understand, that in most cases that might be a fact. In this case, the 5300 extends WiFi to my wife's niece, she waits for a reboot and it's like the world has ended :eek:. So to avoid a call from the cousin, to the wife, then to me to fix and dimiss the emotional breakdown with just saying to restart it only to hear this @$#%@ doesn't work. I taught them how to SSH in and restart WiFi using SCMerlin. Sanity is highly underrated ;)🤣

I understand, that in most cases that might be a fact. In this case, the 5300 extends WiFi to my wife's niece, she waits for a reboot and it's like the world has ended :eek:. So to avoid a call from the cousin, to the wife, then to me to fix and dimiss the emotional breakdown with just saying to restart it only to hear this @$#%@ doesn't work. I taught them how to SSH in and restart WiFi using SCMerlin. Sanity is highly underrated ;)🤣
the niece, she'll do well in the real world when she grows up, won't she?
Kids these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!