What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the system log indicate right around the time of the freeze?
Are any addon scripts being run? Is a USB hard drive attached?
How is the router configured? Are you using AiMesh nodes?
Has a hard factory reset and manual configuration (no import of saved router CFG file) been done?
What is the NVRAM values, what does the router indicate for RAM and processor usage?
In other words more information is needed.
1. Attached file
2. I don't have scripts, there are two drives connected to the router
3. I don't have AiMesh
4. This is how I did a hard reset to factory settings and manual configuration.
5. NVRAM usage 60346/65536 bytes, RAM in use about 100MB.
Now I did so that my router turns off at 2:00 for 10 seconds and turns on again and does not hang then.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    465.1 KB · Views: 39
2. I don't have scripts, there are two drives connected to the router
5. NVRAM usage 60346/65536 bytes, RAM in use about 100MB.*
As a troubleshooting step disable Download Master (your log file appear to indicate it's running), eject the USB hard drives attached to the router, then rebooted the router to see if the issue persists.
Do you have a lot of manually reserved DHCP IP addresses? If so you can free up a little bit of NVRAM by using YazDHCP or moving the manual DHCP IP addresses to a separate file (dnsmasq.conf.add).

Just upgraded and it has bricked my device. Connecting via mobile. Can anyone post here how to recover. Cannot connect to GUI from to router anymore

Thanks Bennor,

Using ac68u,
tried it all,
I am using a mobile to access this website, not the router. I cannot access the router via anything, it is bricked
will try restoration now

Well I cannot recommend upgrading this at all. Full morning wasted so far. Best I can hope for will be a factory reset version if I can get the piece of shirt to reflash, and then it will take me the rest of the day to reconfigure it. Just so not worth the risk of updating these old routers. Knew I should have moved on to an up to date system years ago so more fool me.

Thanks Bennor,

Using ac68u,
tried it all,
I am using a mobile to access this website, not the router. I cannot access the router via anything, it is bricked
will try restoration now

Well I cannot recommend upgrading this at all. Full morning wasted so far. Best I can hope for will be a factory reset version if I can get the piece of shirt to reflash, and then it will take me the rest of the day to reconfigure it. Just so not worth the risk of updating these old routers. Knew I should have moved on to an up to date system years ago so more fool me.
So, neither the asus find utily, restore utilty work to find the router. An absolutely horrendous waste of my time today. Full day of work gone now. The router won;t even factory reset, going round in circles now.

So, neither the asus find utily, restore utilty work to find the router. An absolutely horrendous waste of my time today. Full day of work gone now. The router won;t even factory reset, going round in circles now.
Finally was able to access after a hrad reset using wps and power button, then you have to wait about 5 minutes until the router decides to do something. After that it will restart in factory reset mode.

So, next problem. went into the setup and tried to rollback my firmware so that I could restore my settings and low and behold, the router will not rollback the firmware. It appears to be going through the firmware flashing process then wehn it reboots after firmware update (rollback) complete message, the router reboots back with the latest firmware still installed. Can someone please tell me how I can force rollback to the old firmware, today is just a nightmare that I would really like to end soon... So please how do I rollback the firmware from 386.10 to 384.15??

Thank you

Finally was able to access after a hrad reset using wps and power button, then you have to wait about 5 minutes until the router decides to do something. After that it will restart in factory reset mode.

So, next problem. went into the setup and tried to rollback my firmware so that I could restore my settings and low and behold, the router will not rollback the firmware. It appears to be going through the firmware flashing process then wehn it reboots after firmware update (rollback) complete message, the router reboots back with the latest firmware still installed. Can someone please tell me how I can force rollback to the old firmware, today is just a nightmare that I would really like to end soon... So please how do I rollback the firmware from 386.10 to 384.15??

Thank you

Try unplugging the barrel power end while the unit is on. Wait 1 full minute and plug back in.
You should stay on the 386.10 for security purposes. It works well.
You have not declared what scripts or hard drives or Secondary devices you are using.
And stop using the APP and do everything hard wired.
You should wipe the JFFS partition anyway, to clear away any previous held settings that I assume you are not using, in the Vanilla setup without scripts.

So please how do I rollback the firmware from 386.10 to 384.15??
It's possible that rolling back to such an older firmware might not be possible. From time to time Asus sets a minimum supported version to prevent people from flashing an older incompatible firmware on a newer hardware revision.

Using ac68u,
Using an Asus branded RT-AC68U or a T-Mobile branded TM-AC1900?

If T-Mobile TM-AC1900, there are several causes/reasons that may prevent one from flashing later Asus stock or Asus-Merlin firmware. See discussions on other websites for more on the specific issues with that specific router (TM-AC1900).

It's possible that rolling back to such an older firmware might not be possible. From time to time Asus sets a minimum supported version to prevent people from flashing an older incompatible firmware on a newer hardware revision.
I have just ended up setting up a fresh install on new firmware, better to stay up to date i know but this has just been a nightmare. Currently just letting amtm create the swap file, then it will take me hours to input all my firewall rules again. Is there any quick way to set up ipset documents for each local ip in merlin to save me having to input each indivdual rule line by line using the asus firewall gui. I work on whitelist principle so have around 100 rules and really this will be painful to have to work through one at a time. But I've already been offline for a full day so it needs set up before tomorrow or I am in trouble. I know that you can;t set lists per local output ip on diversion and skynet but wonder if I can just set up my own ipset lists somewhere? I also have a back up of my massive iptables save file in text document from my last install, is there any way I can just copy the iptables to somewhere on the install via ssh and it will populate (or at least run) my iptable rules without having to manually enter each one?

Thanks for input and helping me avoid a nervoud breakdown :p

Since I installed 386.10 shortly after its release, I've had two instances - separated by several days/weeks of Aimesh nodes (running official fw) dropping at the same time as the WebGUI on the main router was rendered unreachable even if connected to the main router (connections to the main router still worked fine). I had to do a manual reboot in order to get it back online, after which it worked fine for a while.

This has happened two times, many days between, and I have not seen any pattern to it; it seems completely random. Otherwise no issues before it suddenly happened.

Just wanted to put it out there in case others have experienced similar issues and think it's just an idiosyncratic exception to an otherwise working FW.

Since I installed 386.10 shortly after its release, I've had two instances - separated by several days/weeks of Aimesh nodes (running official fw) dropping at the same time as the WebGUI on the main router was rendered unreachable even if connected to the main router (connections to the main router still worked fine). I had to do a manual reboot in order to get it back online, after which it worked fine for a while.

This has happened two times, many days between, and I have not seen any pattern to it; it seems completely random. Otherwise no issues before it suddenly happened.

Just wanted to put it out there in case others have experienced similar issues and think it's just an idiosyncratic exception to an otherwise working FW.
This is EXACTLY what was happening to me. Downgraded back to 386.07_2 and things have been rock solid since.

RT-AC66U-B1 dirty update from 386.9 to 386.10 (previous factory reset at 386.8 to 386.9). NVRAM usage remains similar after update at 61733 / 65536 bytes. Operating in router mode I have many DHCP reservations but no OpenVPN configured. Nightly reboot remains configured, just in case things go bad while I'm not around to fix it. I did try a hard power down restart recently, but that outage was due to the ISP going TITSUP for several hours.

Router has been stable for over 2 weeks. Thanks @RMerlin and other contributors to this firmware and forum.

This is EXACTLY what was happening to me. Downgraded back to 386.07_2 and things have been rock solid since.
Glad that I reported it, then, because initially, I wrote it off as a one/two-off since it is working great otherwise.

I did not experience this with 386.9 from that I can remember, and it worked very well with the exception of very buggy/lacking client list. So maybe try that one out instead of going all the way back to 386.7_2.

I hope Merlin is taking notice. There must be some Aimesh and WebGUI services crashing here, since the main router (not the Aimesh nodes) is still working internet-connection-wise.

The system log got wiped in the process, so I have nothing to provide from them in connection to the incidents, unfortunately.

Glad that I reported it, then, because initially, I wrote it off as a one/two-off since it is working great otherwise.

I did not experience this with 386.9 from that I can remember, and it worked very well with the exception of very buggy/lacking client list. So maybe try that one out instead of going all the way back to 386.7_2.

I hope Merlin is taking notice. There must be some Aimesh and WebGUI services crashing here, since the main router (not the Aimesh nodes) is still working internet-connection-wise.

The system log got wiped in the process, so I have nothing to provide from them in connection to the incidents, unfortunately.
Hi,
On 386.7_2 there is no lack on client list ?
I have never tested this Fw...

As usual: AiMesh is closed source, and outside of my control.
But the crashing of the WebGUI/App-connectivity on the main router (which btw. still continues to work otherwise, as I mentioned) does seem to indicate that the problem affects, if not arises- behind Aimesh in the "chain of command"?

What are the common causes of the WebGUI/App-interface being rendered unreachable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!