What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty update from 386.2_6. Open VPN client says connected, but it is not. When I check my IP address, it shows my ISP?

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 105
Dirty update from 386.2_6. Open VPN client says connected, but it is not. When I check my IP address, it shows my ISP?
When back to 386.2_6 and VPN hooks up no problem.

Attachments

• back to 386.2_6 syslog.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 90
What is on VPN director page?

The VPN director page shows a list of the clients.
I was able to start a client through that page also.
Then you use Yes (all) and all lan should through vpn.

What is your problem then?
It says it is connected, but it does not connect because my ISP address is still shown when I check for my public address.

Also, when it is working in the client tab it shows both the local and public address, but in the beta it shows the local and says public in unknown.

It says it is connected, but it does not connect because my ISP address is still shown when I check for my public address.

Also, when it is working in the client tab it shows both the local and public address, but in the beta it shows the local and says public in unknown.
Does your IP addess start with 100.

Current version 386.2_6.

Has this release done anything to restore parental time scheduling control over guest connections? The time scheduling feature is broken, again, for guest wifi connections but not normal wifi connections. Even though the network map list shows guest clients as blocked during off-time, this is not the case. Regular wifi connections are blocked as expected.

I re flashed the Beta, and it seems to work fine now. The last time I flashed it, the first time I started the client was through the VPN director tab, so I don't know if that had anything to do with my problem.

Thanks for your help.
Well a bit of a brain fart there, I flashed the wrong Beta ;(

When I go back to Beta 386.3_beta1, I get the same problem. Accept DNS exclusive or relaxed makes no difference.

Are there any priority issues with VPN and DNSFilter? I'm still not able to clear my DNS Leak.

Current setup:
- VPN Client 1 is setup with OpenVPN config to ExpressVPN in New York
- The 'Accept DNS Configuration' is set to Exclusive
- The 'Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel' is set to VPN Director
- VPN Director has a rule for OVPN1 for the IP of my laptop
- Testing from Laptop shows I'm connected to ExpressVPN with a NY IP address but indicates a DNS Leak
- OpenDNS servers are listed which is the upstream DNS from my pi-hole

I have DNSFilter enabled with it set to Router. Router WAN DNS is set to Quad9, LAN DNS (DHCP) is set to my Pi-hole IPs.

If I run the ExpressVPN client directly from my laptop, no leak. Is DNSFilter clobbering the VPN DNS?

EDIT: I do see this entry in the logs, but it does not seem to be taking.

>> openvpn: Forcing 192.168.5.23 to use DNS server 10.120.0.1

Last edited:
I am in the process of setting up a new rt-ax86u which has never been connected to the wan. It has never had anything on it except the most recent 386.2. So it looks like this will be a "clean" upgrade. I have done a factory reset and flashed 386.3 beta1, which process was flawless and effortless as I am starting to take for granted. Sincere thanks to Merlin, alpha testers, and all. I read the changelog and the wiki, which I found to be clear and helpful.

Probable next steps are connecting to the wan, connecting a ssd, and installing add-ons (thanks again to the coders of these).

If anyone would be willing to share any advice as to how to best continue and "keep it clean", I'm all ears.

As an aside, it looks to me likely to be very useful to have a spare off-line router available to abuse.

Was I talking to you? Go run your vpn through a vpn already ; I’m not talking to you

Yes, you are talking to me. Nobody else has anything more to add (it seems).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!