What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is x3mrouting overwriting the default VPN Client page?
Test with:
Code:
umount /www/Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp
Refresh GUI page. Be happy. Put x3mrouting page back:
Code:
mount -o bind /jffs/addons/x3mRouting/Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp /www/Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp
That did the trick! It was x3mRouting. That's also why I couldn't see the custom config, either. Thank you!

That did the trick! It was x3mRouting. That's also why I couldn't see the custom config, either. Thank you!
I don’t know what state x3mrouting is in at this point on your router. My command just removed the GUI override, but the rest of the script may still be active and interfere with VPN Director. I don’t use either of them.

I use x3mRouting only so my Unbound shows the same IP as my VPN. I wonder if I could just leave it disabled until the x3mRouting webpage gets an update.

I ended up going back into the x3mRouting menu and switching from option 2 to option 3. It seems the only difference between the two is whether that web GUI page installs.
1626364390990.png

Last edited:
I am having issues with VPN (note, I'm in contact with RMerlin with logs, etc). He mentioned that it could be a script interfering (although he reviewed my running scripts and didn't think any would interfere).

I was wondering if there is a way to start the router without scripts (similar to how some browsers can start without extensions) without actually removing every script (and then having to reinstall all of them) and then testing to see if there is still an issue?

I am having issues with VPN (note, I'm in contact with RMerlin with logs, etc). He mentioned that it could be a script interfering (although he reviewed my running scripts and didn't think any would interfere).

I was wondering if there is a way to start the router without scripts (similar to how some browsers can start without extensions) without actually removing every script (and then having to reinstall all of them) and then testing to see if there is still an issue?
Disable JFFS Scripts on the Admin System page.

I had a couple of questions before updating to the new beta.

Im currently running PIA VPN with x3mRouting script with option 3 (for streaming apps to bypass VPN) and have DNSFilter= Router.

Under WAN DNS settings I have setup the Quad9 DNS servers.

In the VPN client i have setup 2 rules (policy rules (strict):

192.168.1.1--> WAN (Router)
192.168.1.0/24-->VPN (All traffic)

And Accept DNS Configuration as Disabled.

Is it recommended I changee the DNS configuration to Exclusive once i update to beta since im using PIA?

Also...will my current policy rules be automatically created when i update to the beta?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

I had a couple of questions before updating to the new beta.

Im currently running PIA VPN with x3mRouting script with option 3 (for streaming apps to bypass VPN) and have DNSFilter= Router.

Under WAN DNS settings I have setup the Quad9 DNS servers.

In the VPN client i have setup 2 rules (policy rules (strict):

192.168.1.1--> WAN (Router)
192.168.1.0/24-->VPN (All traffic)

And Accept DNS Configuration as Disabled.

Is it recommended I changee the DNS configuration to Exclusive once i update to beta since im using PIA?

Also...will my current policy rules be automatically created when i update to the beta?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
I'm using multiple VPN clients, but I do not force all the LAN traffic through any of those. Routing is based on IP and/or CIDR. All the other options are similar to yours (DNS config disabled, x3mRouting option 3 etc.)

The update to the first 386.3 beta was clean and so was the 2nd one. All the policy rules where created accordingly in VPN Director.
An added benefit of that feature is that you can now change the routing from one VPN interface to another one on the same page - which wouldn't seem to matter in your case :)

Good luck!

Running B2 for a couple of hours, all working, even RP-AX56 playing nice!
Dirty upgrade from B1.

Also note: AMTM and Entware updated after B2 load.

I see the RP-AX56 latest firmware from June is 386 code base. So can you tell then if your RP-AX56 is running AiMesh 2.0? or are the repeaters still AiMesh 1.0? I'm curious as I am interested in how AsusWRT stock nodes work with Asus Merlin as the primary router and of course with this new beta and soon to be 386.3

Issues with providers blindly pushing Windows-only parameters (like register-dns) and Internet Redirection: Yes (All) has been fixed. Non-fatal config errors will no longer set the nvram flags in an error state.

I see the RP-AX56 latest firmware from June is 386 code base. So can you tell then if your RP-AX56 is running AiMesh 2.0? or are the repeaters still AiMesh 1.0? I'm curious as I am interested in how AsusWRT stock nodes work with Asus Merlin as the primary router and of course with this new beta and soon to be 386.3
Yes, RP-AX56 running 386.42860 fw version, connected mesh node with 386.3_beta2 on AX88U Mesh Router. Since the AX88U is AI 2.0, I'd assume the AX56 must also to connect. I could be wrong.

What are the binary blobs used for ax88u for the pre compiled 386.3-beta2? How can i check this?

I ask this because i still have problems with some IOT devices and 42820 has in the notes: "Fixed IoT devices connection issues."

What are the binary blobs used for ax88u for the pre compiled 386.3-beta2? How can i check this?

I ask this because i still have problems with some IOT devices and 42820 has in the notes: "Fixed IoT devices connection issues."
Think it is this:
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_42095.

Asus has/had some issue with this, So it has been on hold with other GPL`s for RMerlin to work with.

Hi,
I would like to route traffic from a local network to specific IP through OVPN1, having default going through WAN. How do I do this? I thought a simple rule like 192.168.0.0/24 x.x.x.x OVPN1 would solve my problem, but it is not. Please help

Hi,
I would like to route traffic from a local network to specific IP through OVPN1, having default going through WAN. How do I do this? I thought a simple rule like 192.168.0.0/24 x.x.x.x OVPN1 would solve my problem, but it is not. Please help
Only fill the remote IP, leave the local IP field empty.

Only fill the remote IP, leave the local IP field empty.
thanks for suggestion, good to know, however I found both empty field and 192.168.0.0/24 work for me, my error was in removing Create NAT on tunnel from VPN client settings. Somehow I thought that having these VPN director rules would be enough. After setting it back both formats work as expected.

All working great now! (learning curve) But I've a small request, can you make vpn director more dynamic? Meaning i would like to click on Iface or local ip for a better clean overview. In my case all local ip's are mixed in the overview. Also i would like a overview when i click edit that shows the custom configuration right a way on top, now I've to scroll up to see the custom configuration . This is because there are so many devices connected now to the router. Just a thought but it would great if possible off-course.

Thanks!

So it still looks like there are problems. While I was able to conect it as a Mesh Node to the AX88U, I've watched it for the last 24 hours and haven't seen any clients connect to it with wireless backhaul. Trying now with wired, but not looking any better.

Not ready for prime-time, yet.

Think it is this:
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_42095.

Asus has/had some issue with this, So it has been on hold with other GPL`s for RMerlin to work with.
So it still looks like there are problems. While I was able to connect it as a Mesh Node to the AX88U, I've watched it for the last 24 hours and haven't seen any clients connect to it with wireless backhaul. Trying now with wired, but not looking any better.

Not ready for prime-time, yet.
As pointed out by @Zastoff the last Asus GPL applied to Merlinware was 386_42095 - released over 4 months ago [March 2021].
Subsequent public firmware releases by Asus for various models claim several fixes. For eg - see spoiler below for the RT-AX86U ...

386.42840 - 2021-04-29: -
1. Fix VPN GUI issues.
2. Improve connection stability.
3. Fix AiMesh related bugs.
4. Minor GUI issue fixes.
5. Upgrade dropbear to version 2020.81
6. Fix buffer overflow vulnerability
7. Fix slowloris denial of service attack.
8. Fix authentication bypass vulnerability.
9. Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability.
386.44130 - 2021-06-28: -
1. Add Hinet MOD Mesh IPTV support.
2. Fix bandwidth limiter issue under AiMesh.

Item 9 fix above [fragattacks] was applied in Merlin 386.2_6 for all supported models.

There has been no indication from @RMerlin that 386.3 will include any GPL updates. At this time it appears to be focussed on a rare [but welcome] feature "add-on" in the form of VPN Director - which is what we are supposed to focus our posts in this thread on !! -
Stay on topic folks ;).

The most likely reason is you don't have "Redirect Internet Traffic" properly configured. While having the wrong configuration might have been working in the past, now that this setting is actually working as intended, having the wrong setting will no longer work. So if you had left it to "No", then 386.3 will no longer redirect Internet traffic, as it's meant to.

This has been mentioned a couple of times within this thread by other people who experienced the same problem as you (i.e. redirection no longer working, simply because they had Redirection still set to "No").
were do I find "Redirect Internet Traffic"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!