What's new

AsusWRT Merlin settings manual

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diabolyk

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I'm searching to optimize my AC86U in terms of wifi range and speed.

Is there somewhere a manual with description of each function please ?

I can spend time but in order to have something very well working.

Thanks.

Very valid idea that many others have considered. Putting together an alternative owner's guide specific to Merlin firmware/router interface and functions would be a worthy effort if one has or can dedicate their time to it, as the official Asus owner's manual only covers the router and functions as produced and flashed prior to sale. Asus also has user forums but are not helpful regarding changes from flashing Merlin. After Merlin firmware is flashed on your Asus router, those changes make the official compnay guide largely irrelevant. Anyone who has used the Merlin interface for very long refers back to the forum on SNB and spends long hours getting to know the interface and learning from other members, so an alternative guide or guides would be a good thing to share. However, in this litigious world, publishing an alternative users manual could run into official resistance, though member photos of the Merlin interface abound; to my knowledge, Asus has never been heavey handed, but they also won't answer any questions about Merlin. If anyone assembles an 'unofficial pictorial guide or manual in pdf or other forum, the person might wish to disavow any intent at infringement upon Asus materials. So far, I've found no warnings in the meager guides Asus includes with the router in the box, Several VPN companies have tried to generalize Merlin guides for installing and using their services but usually older devices and upgrades are depicted. If you click and hold on most of the item listings within the interface, a brief description is shown, then you can search deeper within the change log and wiki for help.

The various forums on SNB as well as the Merlin wiki has detailed information covering most asects that are helpful. Many 'Part of the Furniture' (emeritus members) as well as newer Merlin adopters have have answered member questions in great detail over time. A general search of the SNB forums while logged in, or using short specific terms from your favorite secured browser in a general search will usually result in many links which will send you to various posts in the VPN, Networking, Security, as well as Asuswrt-Merlin Routers, etc. Lurk about in your spare time and enjoy the read! Hope this is helpful.
Good luck!
St3v3n

Last edited:
Ok thanks
I have found this official user guide in frenvh (cause i'm french), but I don't know if it exists a merlin one...

I don't think there are many differences in wifi settings between stock and Merlin. And to be honest, messing with those settings often just makes things worse, not better (especially the stuff on the advanced tabs). You should focus on channel selection and width, disabling legacy clients, stuff that you can do from the basic settings pages. Believe it or not, minor adjustments to position of your router and the antennas can have a big impact. I prefer to mount mine up high (on the ceiling if possible) and shape the 3 antennas in "W" formation (well upside down W if on the ceiling). As central to the coverage area as possible.

Back in the days of B and G, one antenna at a right angle to the other was the preference but that was very different technology. Now you want to give your signal some variation, but still ensure all 3 antennas are used as a system, so generally no more than 45 degree angle since no matter how the antenna and client are polarized, they will be able to see each other.

I don't think there are many differences in wifi settings between stock and Merlin. And to be honest, messing with those settings often just makes things worse, not better (especially the stuff on the advanced tabs). You should focus on channel selection and width, disabling legacy clients, stuff that you can do from the basic settings pages. Believe it or not, minor adjustments to position of your router and the antennas can have a big impact. I prefer to mount mine up high (on the ceiling if possible) and shape the 3 antennas in "W" formation (well upside down W if on the ceiling). As central to the coverage area as possible.

Back in the days of B and G, one antenna at a right angle to the other was the preference but that was very different technology. Now you want to give your signal some variation, but still ensure all 3 antennas are used as a system, so generally no more than 45 degree angle since no matter how the antenna and client are polarized, they will be able to see each other.
For wireless mode i'm on auto but can't change for anything elle, perhaps cause i'm on smartconnect

Those settings are good or not ?

IMG_20230111_173301.jpg

IMG_20230111_173323.jpg

IMG_20230111_173346.jpg

Your password seems too weak.
Airtime fairness is recommended to "off".
Same for "Universal Beamforming" (5GHz/2.4GHz), and "Explicit Beamforming" for 2.4GHz.
Smart Connect and Roaming Assist are not often used here but if it works well for you why not...

Your password seems too weak.
Same for "Universal Beamforming" (5GHz/2.4GHz), and "Explicit Beamforming" for 2.4GHz.
Smart Connect and Roaming Assist are not often used here but if it works well for you why not...
If i disable explicit beamforming, it disable also MU-MIMO...

@Mikiya thank you for posting this! My AX Mini setup has seemed much more reliable since I made those changes. I wonder why those aren't the defaults -- I was starting to regret replacing my non-Asus system with the AX Mini due to frequent (re)connection trouble.

@Mikiya thank you for posting this! My AX Mini setup has seemed much more reliable since I made those changes. I wonder why those aren't the defaults -- I was starting to regret replacing my non-Asus system with the AX Mini due to frequent (re)connection trouble.
Yes this tip work as a charm...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!