What's new

AX3000 - After restoring config password doesn't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fishface

Occasional Visitor
I backed up the config using the tool in webUI, I then upgraded the firmware to Merlin 386.5 (2-March-2022), did I reset/reboot and then was present with the usual login screen, but it would not accept my password, so I tried admin/admin (which seem to activate the captcha) and that also didn't work.

I tried power off and on, and still the same.

So, I hard reset, got back to the set-up screen, go through the basic, and set the password back again, logged in and out no problem.

Next, I uploaded the config back, this seemed to work, all my settings seemed to work at first, my DHCP scopes back, all the Wifi and guest Wifi came back online, so it seems very much back to how it was - except I still can't login.

My guess is the config doesn't have the password stored in it, I think there is a comment about that in the webUI, but I cannot login to confirm.

Is there and easy fix for this?

I have an AX86U and see the screen copy below which might give you an idea of your problem.
Unless someone here comes up with a fix it sounds like you may need help from ASUS.
Screenshot 2022-03-25 211942.jpg

Thanks BobD, much appreciated.

That was definitely not checked when I saved the config, I read that as leave unchecked to save your password, wording seems vague.

I read the first line as this, if check this box you want to share your file for debugging, and you wouldn't want to share your password, so I left it not checked. So I wonder why the password is not working when I import the config?

FYI - I had to reset and manual configure everything, I restored the saved config 3 times and couldn't login every single time.

What do you want to do? Is it ASUS or Merlin?
If ASUS then just full factory reset it and manually configure. Do not use a saved config file. There is something wrong with it. It might be PEBKAC. If you want Merlin then factory reset the router, load Merlin, manually load your config. Do not use a saved file. Then troubleshoot that if you have any problems. Use a new thread for that if necessary.

I updated from Asus firmware to Merlin, I have previously updated from Asus to Asus and imported the settings configs without issue, also done the same with other Asus routers, guess I got lucky!

I have quite a few static IPs, and lots of other tweaks, so using the backup was convenient.

I did a reset and configured manually, didn't take as long as I thought in the end, and all is looking good, except for a port forward issue which I have posted here.

Thanks all for your help.

I've struck this problem too. Asus rt ax56u. Restored settings from cfg file then unable to login -wrong user/password. After another reset restored settings manually.

Clearly unless I'm doing something wrong, the option of backing up and then trying to restore from a cfg file has no value because it doesn't work.

Is there a fix for this?

The fix is to only restore a configuration to the same router it came from running the same firmware it was running when the config was saved.

What you describe as the fix is exactly what I was trying to do-backup,reset,restore to same router with same firmware from .cfg file- but was “locked out” at the login page. Normal user and passwords didn’t work and default ones didn’t either.

Well, if something wasn't working correctly (why else reset the configuration?), why would it be a valid supposition that restoring the config would turn out differently afterward?

re "Well, if something wasn't working correctly (why else reset the configuration?)"

Actually it was fine when I created and saved the config file. I then made some changes which I was not happy with, did a reset etc and reloaded the config file and that ended up locking me out.
Anyway I'll stay with my conclusion and you can stay with yours.

I've struck this problem too. Asus rt ax56u. Restored settings from cfg file then unable to login -wrong user/password. After another reset restored settings manually.

Clearly unless I'm doing something wrong, the option of backing up and then trying to restore from a cfg file has no value because it doesn't work.

Is there a fix for this?
It must be a model and/or firmware version specific bug. This thread was for a different model two years ago. The purpose of the backup file is for exactly the scenario you describe. People have been using this method successfully for years across many models and firmware versions.

Perhaps it is a firmware or router bug and I'm not sure which is the best way to make it known as an issue

The router is an rt ax56u running the very latest (2024) Merlin fw.

I don't believe that what I did -the same firmware, the same router-should have comprised the backup/restore process. Btw the router was fine when I created the backup.

I've now restored the settings manually so I don't need to use the backup. However I no longer have confidence in the backup/restore process and will keep a paper note of the main settings in case I need

Perhaps it is a firmware or router bug and I'm not sure which is the best way to make it known as an issue
It would really have to be reported to Asus, but I'm not sure whether they would pay any attention to it unless you could demonstrate the same problem on stock firmware. The reloading of the settings is in a closed source component so it's not something that RMerlin has any control over.

Thank you for the link. see below . Perhaps the problem is to do with the checkbox.

Does that mean NOT ticking the checkbox will preserve the original user name /password.

And what what happens if you DO tick the box re user name/password?

I just can't remember whether I did or didn't tick the box.

"Click on this checkbox if you want to share the config file for debugging. Since the original password in the config file will be removed, please do not import the file into your router."

It means that if you DO tick that box then all of the password and other sensitive settings are excluded from the backup file. This is typically so you can send it to Asus for diagnosis. If you don't tick that box then the file created will be a "complete" backup of the settings.

It means that if you DO tick that box then all of the password and other sensitive settings are excluded from the backup file. This is typically so you can send it to Asus for diagnosis. If you don't tick that box then the file created will be a "complete" backup of the settings.
Thank you for explaining. I don't often do a backup and have probably never read the small print in that the backup section. In this case perhaps I did tick the box which would cause the problem. If I feel brave I might try the backup restore again in the future making sure I don't tick the box and just see what happens. Again, thanks.

Thank you for explaining. I don't often do a backup and have probably never read the small print in that the backup section. In this case perhaps I did tick the box which would cause the problem. If I feel brave I might try the backup restore again in the future making sure I don't tick the box and just see what happens. Again, thanks.

Rule of thumb... you don't have a backup until you've proved you can restore it.

OE

A backup only after a successful reboot. Might've been tinkering and after some time thought "okay, this is good now" but if there hasn't been a successful reboot into that "good known" state it could very well be not-so-good after all. Not frequent, but /does/ happen that way at times.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!