What's new

AX86U - issue with Hikvision IP camera

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slurmsmckenzie

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, this is quite a vague question so apologies there isn't much detail but I just wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on why I might have seen an issue with my wireless N rated Hikvision Cube IP camera when it was connected via 2.4 to an AX86U? It is a DS-2CD2443G0-IW and is about 1.5m from the main router location through a single solid wall.

I moved from an AC68U which had no issues (other than not quite reaching all areas of the house with decent wifi coverage) to an AX86U plus XD4 in AiMesh mode. Followed the setup guides from @OzarkEdge and @L&LD during the setup (reset several times after latest FW updates etc.) and the system worked perfectly, even showing no issues with my Logitech Squeezeboxes which I had worried about.

But after 14 days the Hikvision IP camera started acting strangely. The iPad we use to monitor it said it was not connected and I found I could not ping it from a PC on the network (I usually can). I checked the AX86U GUI and it said the camera was connected, it also listed it as connected in the wireless log. When I refreshed the connection using the AiMesh tab it said it had successfully re-connected, yet I could still not reach it from any other network connected devices. I tried rebooting the camera by removing and reconnecting the power cable, but it made no difference. Nothing of note in the system log. In desperation (it was midnight and we use the IP cam as a monitor for our daughter) I rebooted the AX86U, and the IP camera was absolutely fine again - without needing a reboot itself or anything like that.

All was fine until a further 10 days later when the exact same thing happened again. This time I had a bit more time to try and diagnose the issue but could not figure it out - I setup a "ping -t" to the cameras IP address and got intermittent results, such as: Request timed out (x9), Reply (x1), Request timed out (x56), Reply (x1), Request timed out (x46), Reply (x1)...

You get the picture. Other times it would go through brief periods where I would get a reply for about 30 seconds with no drops and I could log onto the camera's web GUI perfectly, but then it would drop again and the GUI would time out. Basically the connectivity was up and down all over the place, sometimes up for periods and sometimes only up for a single ping. Once again nothing but a reboot of the AX86U would solve the problem. All fine again.

Then the problem came back but this time it was only 2 days after the previous issue. An AX86U reboot fixed it again but only for a further 2 days again. At that point everything went to pot - rebooting the AX86U would not fix the issue, it would re-occur within minutes. I gave up and put the AC68U back and it has since been 17 days with not a single issue of any kind, just like the 2+ years I had the camera connected to it before buying the AX86U.

I've searched for known issues with the Hikvision cameras and Asus AX routers but couldn't find anything. What puzzles me is why it worked without any issues for 14 days, then 10 days, then 2 days, then 2 days again and then just stopped working for more than a few minutes at a time. That doesn't make any sense to me and doesn't help with figuring out what the problem could be. The other thing that made it really frustrating was the AX86U insisting that the device was connected when it was not - the camera itself showed little in the system logs other than "network abnormal".

Things I tried on the AX86U before I gave up included: Disabling AX on both 2.4 and 5, disabling Roaming assist on both 2.4 and 5, changing key rotation period to be 1 day and generally turning off the more advanced features that the AX86U offered over the AC68U. Nothing I tried made any difference whatsoever.

I really want to go back to the AX86U AiMesh setup as it was a real step up from the AC68U and worked flawlessly in every respect - apart from this Hikvision issue. I even got better WAN speeds which I didn't expect and can't really explain (42mbps vs 37mbps) and because I should be able to upgrade to 1gb fibre soon (fingers crossed) I'd much rather have the AX86U in place. But as long as it is messing with the Hikvision camera I simply cannot use it as the primary router.

Would welcome any general thoughts - could it just be that the wifi chip in the camera has compatability issues with the AX86U but not the AC68U? Maybe it was AiMesh somehow?

Some IP cams can be a real pain. With that said I have some very old Linksys G IP cams that work well with my AX86U. Even with the WIFI set to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. However, I have some older clients that do not like WPA2/WPA3 so I set up a guest WIFI with a different SSID and just WPA2-Personal on the 2.4 GHz. For your case use Guest 2 on 2.4 GHz with intranet enabled. Use an SSID with eight alpha/numeric characters (no spaces, caps or special characters).

I use Dual Band SmartConnect with auto channels, 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz and 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on 5 GHz. If you are trying to use the AC68U as an AiMesh node use WPA2-Personal. You may want to use a fixed channel on the 2.4 GHz (1, 6 or 11).

Thanks for the info, that is interesting to hear. Pretty sure I remember setting everything to be WPA2 now you mention it (same settings as my AC68U I think). Must admit I've never gone down the guest network route, read something years ago saying that it impacts the main wireless networks and didn't want to do that - probably way out of date info but it has always stuck in the back of my mind!

The main thing is that I need 3 PCs connected to my main home network (file and printer sharing etc.) and also able to access the IP camera via a web GUI. I'd always discounted any setup where the camera was on a separate network because of this.

Just to note that now I've gone back to the AC68U it is just a single router by itself, I have not implemented AiMesh. I just put everything back exactly as it was so that I could be confident it would work! The AX86U and XD4 are switched off.

BTW - just realised that I posted this in the AC router forum, sorry if that was a mistake :oops:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!