What's new

Bandwidth limiter ie parental controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xnknown

Occasional Visitor
So I've been wanting to use the bandwidth limiter and aiprotection to limit my daughter's internet use however based on my own testing and others here both seem to have the effect of slowing down the speeds of all the other devices on the network. I was thinking maybe the easiest way to avoid this would be to add a second router behind my ax11000 and have that router with aiprotection and bandwidth limiter turned on. Anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

seem to have the effect of slowing down the speeds of all the other devices on the network.

Yes, it's incompatible with hardware acceleration. Bandwidth limiter turns your router into up to 350Mbps WAN-LAN router.

Anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

How slow your daughter's Internet has to be and what's the goal? Slow connection will potentially increase the screen time.

Yes, it's incompatible with hardware acceleration. Bandwidth limiter turns your router into up to 350Mbps WAN-LAN router.

How slow your daughter's Internet has to be and what's the goal? Slow connection will potentially increase the screen time.
Slow enough she can't watch YouTube or any other video watching app lol

Slow enough she can't watch YouTube or any other
you should have good parental protection router like https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/MR2200ac set is as bridge (you will still have full parental control) and connect to it ax11000.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/srm/feature/device_content_control
Won't bridge mode just extend the range of the main router and not allow it to control anything?

Slow enough she can't watch YouTube or any other video watching app lol

Even 500Kbps is enough to watch online videos on a phone. If she can’t watch videos, she’ll start texting with friends. You can’t reduce screen time by reducing the connection speed.

here you have a info https://www.synology.com/en-global/srm/feature/device_content_control

"Works in Bridge Mode. Already have a router in place with a multitude of complex routing or port forwarding rules configured? Simply put Synology Router in bridge mode and Safe Access can still manage all connected devices for you."

info about safe access: https://kb.synology.com/en-global/SRM/help/SafeAccess/safeaccess_desc?version=
Does the main router features like dns filter etc still work when you have the synology managing certain aspects of the network?

I did not tested this. I set all that is possible on Synology router and rest RMerlin but do not have access to those device now to check.
To be honest in my century you can order online, test and return within 2 week router therefore I always doing this way - I am checking it my self not base on info gather online. If something do not meet my needs I will return it.

I did not tested this. I set all that is possible on Synology router and rest RMerlin but do not have access to those device now to check.
To be honest in my century you can order online, test and return within 2 week router therefore I always doing this way - I am checking it my self not base on info gather online. If something do not meet my needs I will return it.
Unfortunately I just tested the setup you recommended today and it does not work for my purposes. Once you set the synology to bridge mode it removes the bandwidth limiter feature

hm OK looks like I did not understand you question. For me bandwidth limiter (BW) is not parental control. BW you can setup normally in QoS section and setup your daughter MAC but BW will not limit any access to any web just limit connection speed.
parental control for me is when you limit your child access to internet like in bad Asus parental control you can setup 18-22 to have access using synology router you can setup 4h per day for example total time doesn't matter when start, finish etc.

how fast is your internet connection?
why you want to limit BW for your daughter? It is because if she downloads something you have bad connection? If yes you should use Traditional QoS (Adaptive QoS I tested for RMerlin and AsusWRT and it is not working correctly) but Traditional QoS will limit your internet speed severally too :(
depends of your internet speed you should look at same miniPC as router potentially with PSsense/ OPNsense or OpenWRT to achieve with QoS or BW 1Gbit for example. It will be not cheap solution.

if you still have Synology router for testing you can connect Synology to Asus and setup your daughter LAN or wi-fi only to synology and setup BW limit there. Add synology router to DMZ. And check how it is working. Rest devices you will have connected to Asus. If this will work you can exchange Synology router with any Asus one.

Last edited:
Even 500Kbps is enough to watch online videos on a phone. If she can’t watch videos, she’ll start texting with friends. You can’t reduce screen time by reducing the connection speed.

Yep - YouTube is rather good at using as much bandwidth as it can...

@xnknown - This is a rather common question we see here on SNB forums. There is no one silver bullet that can solve a behavior issue, but there are tools that can help.

Policy Controls at the router are one that can be used - the other is the end-point - consider that as well, Chromebooks have fairly decent capability there, and it's easy to set up and manage them.