What's new

Beside wireless, what benefits do AC56U or AC68U have over N17U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tumpe

New Around Here
I need to replace my old router, and am split between N17U, AC56U or AC68U. These are the routers that are available locally, and I don't have the time to order any other routers, so it has to be one of these.

The wireless part of it, isn't important nor relevant, as I have other access point, that will take care of everything wireless.

I have been looking thru pages showing features and specs, but can't see much difference (except from the wireless part). I want a router, that will give me as much speed as possible, but am not willing on spending big cash, if it all just goes to give me another awesome wireless connection, that I will disable.

What would you do? Would you go for one of the AC's, if it wasn't for the wireless, and why ?

I need to replace my old router, and am split between N17U, AC56U or AC68U. These are the routers that are available locally, and I don't have the time to order any other routers, so it has to be one of these.

The wireless part of it, isn't important nor relevant, as I have other access point, that will take care of everything wireless.

I have been looking thru pages showing features and specs, but can't see much difference (except from the wireless part). I want a router, that will give me as much speed as possible, but am not willing on spending big cash, if it all just goes to give me another awesome wireless connection, that I will disable.

What would you do? Would you go for one of the AC's, if it wasn't for the wireless, and why ?

What is your present router, modem, ISP speed given to you, what do you do with the network? Router is only one part .

I was using a single band Netgear router provided by Comcast and found a brand new AC56R on Ebay for $55. Having a router that's AC enabled, along the 5 gHz band which is far faster than 2.4 and MUCH less crowded, the router has been rock solid. Also it's the same hardware at the AC68U minus the external antennas. After posting here when I was researching it became clear the AC56 is one of the better routers especially for the money. Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd chime in anyway

I was using a single band Netgear router provided by Comcast and found a brand new AC56R on Ebay for $55. Having a router that's AC enabled, along the 5 gHz band which is far faster than 2.4 and MUCH less crowded, the router has been rock solid. Also it's the same hardware at the AC68U minus the external antennas. After posting here when I was researching it became clear the AC56 is one of the better routers especially for the money. Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd chime in anyway

Have devices which can take the benefit of 5GHz band and -ac mode?

What is your present router, modem, ISP speed given to you, what do you do with the network? Router is only one part .

Well, I used to have a older zyxel router, for my ADSL connection, but since I now have moved on to a VDSL, and it dosn't support VDSL I see a good excuse for replacing it with a VDSL router.
The ISP has not and will not give me any router.

The network is used as a typically family network would. Having one teenager, there is some gaming, with games such as counter strike, I also have younger kids, that use netflix and youtube.. and the grown ups, just browse, email and netflix (all those boring things).

I must say that the AC56 looks pretty appealing, especially as I already have established my 5 GHz network using other access points.

Have devices which can take the benefit of 5GHz band and -ac mode?

As mentioned in my first post, I am not planning to use the routers wifi, as I already have established my ubiquiti accesspoints, and they will take care of wireless. Actually all of my wifi devices (except a old squeezebox) do support 5 GHz, but I do not think it's relevant, as the router isn't going to do anything wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!