What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Known issues:
  • Network tools not working on RT-AC87U (the netool daemon was missing from the build profile of that model)
Cant wait to see it finally work! :)
Dirty flashed from 384.12_alpha1-g4a8cd4ead5 to 384.12_beta1-g69e0eaefe1 all good this time (except Network tools...).

I have a new idea, let sd-idle to send a STOP command immediately on soft-restart, I think this will protect the hard drive.

Bad idea. It will issue a spindown, then a few seconds later it will spin back up again as it gets its buffers flushed, Entware services are terminated, etc... It will only add unnecessary wear and tear to your HDD.

PS. Eric, I have saved the boot log in case you are interested in it...

I'll need the boot log, as well as screenshots of your configuration on the WAN and on the System page. I can't think of any logical explanation beside your NTP or DNS being misconfigured. OpenVPN server will wait a certain amount of time before starting if your NTP isn't properly synced yet, same with the WAN up process in this beta build.

I'll need the boot log, as well as screenshots of your configuration on the WAN and on the System page. I can't think of any logical explanation beside your NTP or DNS being misconfigured. OpenVPN server will wait a certain amount of time before starting if your NTP isn't properly synced yet, same with the WAN up process in this beta build.

Hi, I just sent the information via email. Thanks a lot for having a look at it.

Bad idea. It will issue a spindown, then a few seconds later it will spin back up again as it gets its buffers flushed, Entware services are terminated, etc... It will only add unnecessary wear and tear to your HDD.

Thank you for your reply!
I think Windows use this feature when restarts. It prevents the USB HDDs from being damaged by an accidental power down when restarted.
I see that the Windows or the router will stop the USB power supply for a few seconds when system restarts. So USB HDDs usually retract the magnetic heads immediately after there is power down, I think get a spindown signal that actively retract the heads is better than the passive after power down, thank you.

Change my mind, the routers is not a NAS, thank you.

Last edited:
Dirty flash on AC5300 from 384.12-alpha-2 to beta-1 ... smooth transition - no hassles and tested everything per my signature for add-ons ... working 100%.
Merlin-Magic once again - plus all the add-on fundi's - MANY thanks.

B1 has frozen twice in 24h. Not possible to access without a classic shutdown. Any ideas..?
Mine did as well.

Went back to alpha2 as I had no problems with it.
Assuming that by "frozen" you mean you can't access the webui, not that the router is no longer functioning, that's a periodic event for lots of people (and never happens for others, go figure). The httpd process hangs for some unknown reason. Since nothing shows up in the logs, it's essentially impossible to troubleshoot. It seems to come and go randomly for people.

ssh into your router and "service restart_httpd". Or install @Jack Yaz's scMerlin (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scmerlin-service-and-script-control-menu-for-asuswrt-merlin.56277/) so you don't have to remember the magic incantation, you just run scmerlin and select 3 to reset the web interface.

Assuming that by "frozen" you mean you can't access the webui, not that the router is no longer functioning, that's a periodic event for lots of people (and never happens for others, go figure). The httpd process hangs for some unknown reason. Since nothing shows up in the logs, it's essentially impossible to troubleshoot. It seems to come and go randomly for people.

ssh into your router and "service restart_httpd". Or install @Jack Yaz's scMerlin (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scmerlin-service-and-script-control-menu-for-asuswrt-merlin.56277/) so you don't have to remember the magic incantation, you just run scmerlin and select 3 to reset the web interface.
Thanks. Spot on. So that it happened with B1 was just a happening.....? Will monitor....

Thanks. Spot on. So that it happened with B1 was just a happening.....? Will monitor....
I've had it off an on with various releases. Right now I think I haven't had it happen with 384.11_2, but it's not the first time I've it go away only to reappear on a later release. Funny thing is, IIRC, it's not consistent across router models. I've not had it in releases that others have, and vice-versa.

And before you ask, I'm 95% sure RMerlin has said he's never seen it, so it's kinda impossible for him to even try to troubleshoot. :)

I've had it off an on with various releases. Right now I think I haven't had it happen with 384.11_2, but it's not the first time I've it go away only to reappear on a later release. Funny thing is, IIRC, it's not consistent across router models. I've not had it in releases that others have, and vice-versa.

And before you ask, I'm 95% sure RMerlin has said he's never seen it, so it's kinda impossible for him to even try to troubleshoot. :)
Thanks for quick reply.

Sometines eth4 goes down, and up again. Did not had this with previous releases. I have the idea that internet is slower for some reason. At least it is less responsive.
I run AMTM, Diversion, Diversion Stats and Skynet.
79d831b7c3404d52cafc0d9e01b9d354.jpg
d2de72025470e682921230cdab264a20.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T580 met Tapatalk

kamoj does something though. Maybe a script? Its his magic so other than knowing it works I'm clueless.

He works on Netgear's firmware, not on Asuswrt. Totally different beasts.

First thing I tried was ssh into the router but it took several minutes for anything to come up. When it finally came up none of the commands worked. Had to use the power button on the router to reboot. Meanwhile internet access was still working fine. Just couldn't interact with the router.

OK, I could do some more testing. When I installed diversion yesterday, it removed/swapped my post_mount script and I was not attempting to start ovpn, nor wait for time sync so I got immediate WAN connection.

This is the situation now without any bypass/script to delay loading of services:

- When the OVPN server is OFF, then a reboot works correctly (WAN connection obtained in less than 2 minutes after reboot). All services start OK
- When OVPN server is ON, an attempt to reboot gives WAN connection 'cable unplugged' message and not established UNTIL 15 minutes later, when it is suddently established and all services load correctly.

PS. Eric, I have saved the boot log in case you are interested in it...
i attempted and haven't been able to reproduce this issue. have you done a complete reset and reconfigure everything manually?

Just tested the new "Inbound Firewall" option on the OpenVPN client. Seems to be working. Nice to see it's Blocked by default too. Thanks.

"Totally different beasts."

Yes but the reason for the symptom is not I bet.

It doesn't matter what the symptoms are, or what the solution is, the fact remains that Asuswrt's networkmap code is closed source, and therefore I cannot make any change at all to it. Just because he could change that code in Netgear's firmware doesn't mean I can magically make the same change in Asuswrt.

i attempted and haven't been able to reproduce this issue. have you done a complete reset and reconfigure everything manually?
Well, in fact this problem started happening after an upgrade to 384.11_2- and subsequent reset attempts did not fix it, besides it was happening for several other users in this forum. Now, with 384.12 beta1 it still happens. However, I am working with Eric and I have a few tests to do in the next couple of hours... meanwhile I have been able to get the script bypass working again. The idea is in post_mount script wait until ntp is sunchronized and then start the OVPN services through the appropriate command (note that this script is adapted / fixed from another post's suggestion ) :

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#/jffs/scripts/post-mount
#Delay openvpn until time synced. Set openvpn status to OFF through GUI
c=0
while [ $(date +%Y) -lt 2019 -a $c -lt 30 ]
do
    c=`expr $c + 1`
    logger "OVPN Waiting for Time Adjustment...."
    sleep 3s
done
logger "Starting OVPN Services"
#To start vpnclient also uncomment next two lines
#service start_vpnclient1
#sleep 10s
service start_vpnserver1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!