What's new

Building a VPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirage22

Regular Contributor
I have been contemplating on building my own VPN Server on the cloud for some time.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I would like to watch Netflix, I use public Wi-Fi quite a bit and travel to countries like China. I need a multi-protocol solution to connect via OpenVPN, L2tp because some of the phones (blackberry to be specific) do not have openvpn support.
  • This solution is only for my me and my family. So it would be good to have a server configured with a strong firewall and anti-malware that scans all packets going in and out, and configure OpenDNS' Family DNS on the server.
  • I have seen two solutions - Softether and Streisand for my purpose.
  • I know a bit of configuring Windows Server and not much of linux. But am willing to learn.

In a gist,
  • which hosting provider would you suggest to achieve this?
  • What would be the minimum system requirement for such a server in the cloud.
  • Which of the two software options would you suggest can resist DPI really well.
  • Can a standard Kaspersky or Bitdefender antivirus monitor all traffic passing through the server and clean out what is bad
  • Will Configuring OpenDNS Family on the server protect the family from the lil one's accessing other websites?
  • I have an Asus Merlin Router which I would like to connect as a client to this server. I do not want to make my router the server as the connection speed at home isn't anything great.
Has anyone had a similar experience and could perhaps guide me on the steps I should take care of, getting this server up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Over on Hacker News there have been some good conversations (in the comments) about China's Firewall and methods that work, of which there seem to be few.

Encryption is important, but I think obfuscation is also very important when attempting to fool the China's firewall.

Honestly, embedded consumer routers may be able to do what you want, but they are very slow with encryption, compared to any moderately-recent (5 years?) desktop CPU with AES-NI (HW-accelerated encryption). Running an OpenVPN server from any PC operating from within your house may be a better choice, depending on the bandwidth you need.