What's new

Buying advice ASUS RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U or RT-AXE7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bashman275

New Around Here
Hey, first post so this may have been discussed or not in the right place.

I had an RT-AX86U but it wouldn't turn on and the seller has no more in stock.
Having looked around I've found 3 routers and I now can't decide which is best as I'm new to using a custom router compared to the ISP default.

Do I:
Buy RT-AX86U again
or
Buy either RT-AX88U or RT-AXE7800.

It will be used as the main router as I have the ASUS RP-AX56 for the AI Mesh.

I had no issues with the AX86U but as all 3 are similarly priced thought I'd ask so I was getting the best for my money.

If it fails to turn on, see if you could find a laptop AC adapter with the same voltage and connector to test, there's a good chance that this is the issue. Would be far less expensive than a new router.

If it fails to turn on, see if you could find a laptop AC adapter with the same voltage and connector to test, there's a good chance that this is the issue. Would be far less expensive than a new router.
I've already returned and had the refund. Never thought of that...

Get an RT-AX86U Pro now with updated newer hardware. :)

The 'pro' isn't worth that moniker. Either spend a little more if needed or wait for a sale and get the much better balanced (hardware) GT-AX6000 instead.

The 'pro' isn't worth that moniker. Either spend a little more if needed or wait for a sale and get the much better balanced (hardware) GT-AX6000 instead.
So if money wasn't an option - you'd go for the GT-AX6000 over the 3 I mentioned?

Looking at the GT-AX6000 - I assume I can get 2.5 in 2.5 out?

Yes, the RT-AX86U (and the lipstick updated 'pro') were great when introduced almost three years ago).

A few short months after the GT-AX6000 became available (and the firmware matured), it has become the best-balanced router Asus makes today. And, with sales, sometimes at lower prices than the RT-AX86U and 'pro' version.

Why is it the best balanced? Precisely because it has a 2.5GbE WAN port and a 2.5GbE LAN port. Along with all the other internal upgrades it offers over those older-based models.

Yes, the RT-AX86U (and the lipstick updated 'pro') were great when introduced almost three years ago).

A few short months after the GT-AX6000 became available (and the firmware matured), it has become the best-balanced router Asus makes today. And, with sales, sometimes at lower prices than the RT-AX86U and 'pro' version.

Why is it the best balanced? Precisely because it has a 2.5GbE WAN port and a 2.5GbE LAN port. Along with all the other internal upgrades it offers over those older-based models.
Thanks for the advice, it's arriving today. Going to run stock firmware to start with as new to all this and not sure if I will get the benefit from Merlin

There is zero reason to run stock firmware at all. Not when you have an Asus router capable of running the superior RMerlin firmware instead.

Even if you run RMerlin firmware without any of the features/options he includes, you'll still be benefiting from the extra care he has taken to improve upon the raw stock Asus firmware he begins with (via the GPL drops).

There is zero reason to run stock firmware at all. Not when you have an Asus router capable of running the superior RMerlin firmware instead.

Even if you run RMerlin firmware without any of the features/options he includes, you'll still be benefiting from the extra care he has taken to improve upon the raw stock Asus firmware he begins with (via the GPL drops).
Ah okay, I will try and install 288.2_2 when it arrives. Hopefully I don't mess it up!

You won't. Here are some links to do it properly when it arrives (and I know you meant 388.2_2). :)

Here are the key points:
  • Flash the firmware you want to use. Note that some routers may need two or more flashes for the new firmware to 'take', fully.
  • Use the first link above to fully reset the router, after you've flashed the firmware you want to use/test.
  • Perform a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (use the second link for further details).
  • Do not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm and/or scripts, without first formatting the drive on a PC with NTFS.

Haha, yeah 388.2_2😅

I have an Asus RP-AX56 that will be set up as mesh. This will still work with the Merlin software I assume?

I would never use a repeater. I don't know if that specific model will work or not.

It should.

But from my experience (not directly with this model), that weak 2x2:2 capability and weak supporting hardware (RF and CPU/RAM) will certainly drag down the main router.

I would only use that model in Media Bridge mode for distant, wired-capable client device(s) only, for the least impact on the network.

Test, the GT-AX6000 on its own first, before powering up the RP-AX56. You may be pleasantly surprised by the reach and the throughput it offers on its own.

Going to run stock firmware to start with as new to all this and not sure if I will get the benefit from Merlin

Run stock Asuswrt and install 3rd party firmware only if you need something missing in stock firmware.

This is new and not available in Asuswrt-Merlin yet:

1686689460473.png

Run stock Asuswrt and install 3rd party firmware only if you need something missing in stock firmware.

This is new and not available in Asuswrt-Merlin yet:

View attachment 50940
Sorry for probably the dumbest question ever asked but by Stock Asuswrt you mean the one that’s on the router when I get it? And then just updating that to the latest stable version?

Yes, update it to the latest version and test if the router is working properly. Don't replace the firmware right away and with no experience because if something goes wrong you won't know where the issue is. Stock Asuswrt has almost everything available in Asuswrt-Merlin except advanced VPN configurations and ability to run Custom Scripts. Get comfortable using Asuswrt first and if you need something extra - ask for Asuswrt-Merlin.

About the repeater: if you need it and it works well for you - use it. Test without it first and see how it goes. You don't need full bars coverage to every corner of your home and single router/AP works best in home environment. Don't plug it in just because you have it and know it's AiMesh compatible.

Yes, update it to the latest version and test if the router is working properly. Don't replace the firmware right away and with no experience because if something goes wrong you won't know where the issue is. Stock Asuswrt has almost everything available in Asuswrt-Merlin except advanced VPN configurations and ability to run Custom Scripts. Get comfortable using Asuswrt first and if you need something extra - ask for Asuswrt-Merlin.

About the repeater: if you need it and it works well for you - use it. Test without it first and see how it goes. You don't need full bars coverage to every corner of your home and single router/AP works best in home environment. Don't plug it in just because you have it and know it's AiMesh compatible.
Noted. I’ll use stock. That’s what I used on the AX86U and had no issues. I did like the idea of the ad block but not really sure I’d use anything else.

The repeater was used in the old set up as various devices were getting poor signal. Sadly the router is at the opposite end of the house. I wanted something more appealing (wife had to be on board) and cost effective. It wouldn’t perfectly to solve the issues I had.

I’m not use it and try for a few weeks.

I did like the idea of the ad block

This thread was separated from another, but you may find the discussion interesting:

The original thread started here:

Read the above and then decide what's the best idea for your specific case. Don't rush adopting someone else's ideas.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!