What's new

Cable Modem/Cable TV via Asus lan.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobg8zwf

Occasional Visitor
A little help please.

In my house here in Shanghai, I have two internet services, one is FTTH other is cable.

The FTTH service is connected to TP-Link modem and then to Asus AC66 router. This is the normal internet that we use daily.

The cable service arrives as cable TV coax. It connects to a cable modem and then to cable TV box.

The cable modem has 4 ethernet ports and one of those is also connected to the cable TV box, providing video on demand.

The cable provider give us two cable TV boxes. The second box is located in another part of the house, it only has coax connected.

This provides normal TV channels, but not video on demand.

I have wired LAN throughout the house (from the Asus router), but no spare LAN which I can connect between the cable modem and the second cable TV box.

So, now my question/request for help. How can I connect the second cable TV box back to an unused port on the cable modem so that the second cable box can get VOD?

My idea was to connect a lan port on the cable modem into the Asus lan and then connect the remote cable TV box also into the Asus lan, setting
up either a static route or vlan, such that the remote cable TV box can reach the cable modem - via the Asus network.

I've tried but cannot get it to work.

1) Asus DHCP gives the remote cable TV box ip 192.168.1.115 (there is nowhere in the box settings to make any changes to this).
2) Cable modem does not get seen by Asus router (does not show in device list).

3) Plugging a pc into the cable modem and checking ipconfig shows...

pc ip 192.225.1xx.xx
subnet 255.255.1xx.x
gateway 192.225.1xx.x
server 10.225.1xx.x
But the cable modem config cannot be accessed.

I've tried in Asus router to set static route with subnet 255.255.1xx.x, gateway 192.225.1xx.x and host as 192.168.1.115

But after rebooting everything the cable tv box would not provide VOD.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do? Is my method/setting wrong?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

A little help please.

In my house here in Shanghai, I have two internet services, one is FTTH other is cable.

The FTTH service is connected to TP-Link modem and then to Asus AC66 router. This is the normal internet that we use daily.

The cable service arrives as cable TV coax. It connects to a cable modem and then to cable TV box.

The cable modem has 4 ethernet ports and one of those is also connected to the cable TV box, providing video on demand.

The cable provider give us two cable TV boxes. The second box is located in another part of the house, it only has coax connected.

This provides normal TV channels, but not video on demand.

I have wired LAN throughout the house (from the Asus router), but no spare LAN which I can connect between the cable modem and the second cable TV box.

So, now my question/request for help. How can I connect the second cable TV box back to an unused port on the cable modem so that the second cable box can get VOD?

My idea was to connect a lan port on the cable modem into the Asus lan and then connect the remote cable TV box also into the Asus lan, setting
up either a static route or vlan, such that the remote cable TV box can reach the cable modem - via the Asus network.

I've tried but cannot get it to work.

1) Asus DHCP gives the remote cable TV box ip 192.168.1.115 (there is nowhere in the box settings to make any changes to this).
2) Cable modem does not get seen by Asus router (does not show in device list).

3) Plugging a pc into the cable modem and checking ipconfig shows...

pc ip 192.225.1xx.xx
subnet 255.255.1xx.x
gateway 192.225.1xx.x
server 10.225.1xx.x
But the cable modem config cannot be accessed.

I've tried in Asus router to set static route with subnet 255.255.1xx.x, gateway 192.225.1xx.x and host as 192.168.1.115

But after rebooting everything the cable tv box would not provide VOD.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do? Is my method/setting wrong?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Bit of an update

I found that one of the cable TV boxes (the one remotely installed) was not in fact registered for VOD with the cable provider.
Therefore it was not logging in to their service.

I moved the registered box to the remote location and connected it back to the cable modem via Asus lan and it works fine without needing to make any setting changes in AC66.

But, I noticed that both cable modem and Asus router try to give out ip addresses via their dhcp's to any newly connecting device. Sometimes one wins, sometimes the other.

Not good practice to have two dhcp servers on the same lan!

I cannot disable either of them as one is needed for normal internet, the other for cable TV.

Currently scratching my head about this. Suppose it is a question of segregation, but I cannot make any changes to cable TV box or cable modem.
So the isolation can only be achieved in Asus router.