CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.

askan7

Occasional Visitor
Fair enough, I guess.

My asus router has no issues with the frequency of ping signals sent, and I would still consider it a matter that should be investigated. I'm also wary of those who use terms such as "bad networking mamba jamba", but concede the author might simply not want to get into great detail about the subject.

And I'm still not convinced that the "issue" is an actual issue outside of "omg, the graphs look different", but I will concede that fq_codel does appear to perform slightly better on your network.
Mine also does respond to all pings if they are directly to it.
If I leave ping running directly to router with 0.1s interval while I run another to 1.1.1.1 concurrently I don't get any packet loss on direct ping to router, yet it shows in the ping to 1.1.1.1 but doesn't carry to the final destination.

Last edited:

Audionut

Occasional Visitor
Well.... if ping plotter reported something different to another ping program, that was also be a cause for concern imo. But yes.

ping.PNG

edit: uploaded correct screenshot.

And this screenshot you posted earlier shows packet loss all the way to the last hop.

Last edited:

askan7

Occasional Visitor
Well.... if ping plotter reported something different to another ping program, that was also be a cause for concern imo. But yes.

View attachment 26976

edit: uploaded correct screenshot.

And this screenshot you posted earlier shows packet loss all the way to the last hop.

You right, but that screenshoot I posted was while I was running speedtest and testing qos settings. I don't have packet loss now, even while loaded. (missed the overhead).
Have no idea why i get packet loss on first hops, don't think it matters since if i run ping directly to ethier of them concurrently it doesn't get packet loss. If you have any ideas don't hesitate to share :D

Just tried the same on another computer, connect to my isp's router instead of the asus and it's same result. If it's faster than 1second it start to packet loss at hop 3 and slowly starts to packet loss at hop 2 and 1. Doesn't get to final hops.

Last edited:

Morris

Regular Contributor
Try using task manager to give you ping application real time. Also use a wired connection.

askan7

Occasional Visitor
Try using task manager to give you ping application real time. Also use a wired connection.
I did, tried connecting directly to the router my isp provided with different pc. It's seems my isp is blocking ICMP traffic, no big deal i guess. Everything gets to destination just fine without any packet loss.
Another funny thing i noticed is that ping connected to isp's router is like 1ms, everything around 1ms higher ping to the internet. On the Asus i get 0.3ms to router, and even tough it's connected to my isp's router/modem that's in bridge mode, ping is lower even to the outside. I guess faster cpu/nat makes a difference.

With fq-codel my network is pretty, only thing that breaks is bittorrent clients, slows everything down...
Cake is better at pretty much everything but idle latency. If that was fixed I would use Cake without a question. No matter what some people here say, +10ms extra constant jitter is a bit much considering there's no load going on.

Last edited:

Morris

Regular Contributor
I did, tried connecting directly to the router my isp provided with different pc. It's seems my isp is blocking ICMP traffic, no big deal i guess. Everything gets to destination just fine without any packet loss.
Another funny thing i noticed is that ping connected to isp's router is like 1ms, everything around 1ms higher ping to the internet. On the Asus i get 0.3ms to router, and even tough it's connected to my isp's router/modem that's in bridge mode, ping is lower even to the outside. I guess faster cpu/nat makes a difference.

With fq-codel my network is pretty, only thing that breaks is bittorrent clients, slows everything down...
Cake is better at pretty much everything but idle latency. If that was fixed I would use Cake without a question.
ICMP type 0 is ping. Nothing you have show would happen if ICMP were blocked.

Kingp1n

Very Senior Member
ICMP type 0 is ping. Nothing you have show would happen if ICMP were blocked.

Whats the best way to use connmon and setting up the "rtt xxxxx" as an example to the additional settings.

When using connmon, my ping ranges from 25-32 ms.

I also use a full time VPN.

Would setting up "rtt 50000" be a good starting point?

Morris

Regular Contributor
Whats the best way to use connmon and setting up the "rtt xxxxx" as an example to the additional settings.

When using connmon, my ping ranges from 25-32 ms.

I also use a full time VPN.

Would setting up "rtt 50000" be a good starting point?
VPN is for security and will interfere with QOS. Chose one or the other