What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK. I would like to tweak my Cake settings.

I cannot find on here any parameter information so I don't know what to set. All I know is my line is 200/20 and is cable (UK) and it is Docsis 3.0.

I don't mind tweaking, but at the moment I don't see what to tweak! Is there a list of available settings I could play with?

Folk are saying 'triple this that and the other, ack this or whatever' but its over my head.

you specifically mentioned hit rates. sometimes it's very hard to follow your posts as they jump topics at random.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

triple-isolate can be applied equally to both upload and download with good effect, reading the manual you'll need to apply dual-srchost to your upload and dual-dsthost to the download which needs you to edit the script.
that's how i read it, was that what @rgnldo was suggesting, then?

it's fine, im just trying to understand the benefit of qos for unbound (since i use both)
an improved line will benefit all, including unbound i guess.
example, i run my unbound via vpn for added privacy. queries can be slower but it's a trade off. i can see a really bad connection giving long unbound query delays, get improved with cake.

an improved line will benefit all, including unbound i guess.
example, i run my unbound via vpn for added privacy. queries can be slower but it's a trade off. i can see a really bad connection giving long unbound query delays, get improved with cake.
surely the same applies to any dns resolution, be it recursive or forwarding upstream?

Can this (suricata)run along side of Skynet? Sorry for the off topic question.
yes. i run both.
ax88 setup: diversion/skynet/cake/suricata/unbound
i disabled suricata for now until i find my best settings for cake (to not influence test results).

I cannot find on here any parameter information so I don't know what to set. All I know is my line is 200/20 and is cable (UK) and it is Docsis 3.0.

I don't mind tweaking, but at the moment I don't see what to tweak! Is there a list of available settings I could play with?

Folk are saying 'triple this that and the other, ack this or whatever' but its over my head.

Enter 95% of your up/down
Use the defaults "besteffort"
Additional parameters "ack-filter docsis"

Enjoy Cake!

Another noob question.

I installed from the command line. I think my previous question will be answered if I run the GUI, but how do I invoke the GUI?

V1.0.1 launched
Changelog:
- Hotfixes
- New update checker on header
- Show header when installing for the first time

@maghuro

when i update from the menu, i'm returned to the prompt, that cannot be avoided? other amtm scripts avoid it...

also, in case an update requires cake to be restarted, is that done as part of the update, or does it need to be done manually after update?
is update enough, or do we need update/stop/start ?

thanks

Last edited:

The instructions are on GitHub https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin (referenced in post 1). Have a look at the Tips section for links to more detail.

I’m sorry, I meant the menu. I did know there was no GUI, yet.

The instructions are on GitHub https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin (referenced in post 1). Have a look at the Tips section for links to more detail.

if you have cake-qos installed go to the menu and you can tune the connection on option [4]

once there set estimates for your DL/UL speeds on options [1]/[2] (use 95% as starting point)
option [3] for queue priority, the current best choices are either besteffort or diffserv4. see what works for you. i use diffserv4 just because :)

on the extra options [4] (keywords separated by space on this field)

add "docsis" for your cable connection

add "ack-filter" (experiment with adding "dual-srchost" too) if you have asymmetrical connection

experiment with adding either "autorate-ingress" or "unlimited" (but not both) and see if it helps vs not adding them.
(if your connection bandwidth/latency is stable during the day you likely won't need these two)

this is what i gathered so far in regard to tuning, from this thread.

you can google these keyword to see their action on cake.

Last edited:
@maghuro autorate-ingress worked well for me, to tame my UL line that oscillates from 3Mbps to 20Mbps on a work day.
i did get latency spikes at the beginning of a UL transfer burst but it was controlled after a few moments. and it was better tradeoff than setting my UL limit to a very low 4Mbps.
this being said, i am now trying "unlimited" instead, but i won't know how it performs until Monday and people at home start dialing into work

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!