What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find an answer after searching these posts or the install instructions, but do I need to enable QOS inside the router before I install CAKE?

No you don’t.

So I am to understand that this script is pointless for people with 1g/1g connections because it shuts off hardware acceleration?

I already know shutting this off keeps me from maxing out my internet provisioning.

Hi,
I just changed my connection from a bad rsp with 50/20 to a good rsp 100/20
someone here suggested to use cake without d/l u/l numbers - how do i remove the d/l u/l numbers from the settings? do i set it to 0?
thanks,
Ben

Hi,
I just changed my connection from a bad rsp with 50/20 to a good rsp 100/20
someone here suggested to use cake without d/l u/l numbers - how do i remove the d/l u/l numbers from the settings? do i set it to 0?
thanks,
Ben
Guilty as charged:
in the script, simply type in unlimited in your upload AND download configs along with whatever else

I may play some with mine, to see if the order in which they're listed is of any import or has any impact on performance

You don't need to install amtm if you're running RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later (it is built into the firmware).

The following guide may be helpful.

thanks so much for the info!!!

Everything's going pretty snappy except i experienced problem in zoom cloud meetings, they stuck often
Any solution?

Guilty as charged:
in the script, simply type in unlimited in your upload AND download configs along with whatever else

I may play some with mine, to see if the order in which they're listed is of any import or has any impact on performance
Thanks for your reply
i'm using cake-qos in merline which runs the .sh script for settings
the .sh script doesnt seem to support unlimited?

cake-qos settings dlspeed unlimited wouldnt work either
it expects a number and then adds Mbit after it
do i put it in optionsdl - ?

Thanks for your reply
i'm using cake-qos in merline which runs the .sh script for settings
the .sh script doesnt seem to support unlimited?

cake-qos settings dlspeed unlimited wouldnt work either
it expects a number and then adds Mbit after it
do i put it in optionsdl - ?
ssh into your router
at command prompt type cake-qos and press enter
choose option 4 --> Change cake settings
choose option 1 --> Download Speed (enter a 0 or naught)
choose option 2 --> Upload speed (enter a 0 or naught)

That should do the trick for you...it's the default.
(thanks for making me go check - I needed to add nonat to mine)

After reading the recent observations on raw and unlimited download speeds I have revisited and adjusted my cake settings. My notional connection is 80/20, VDSL/PPPOE, I am in a metropolitan area and all my tests are subject to the usual variances to be expected from external noise, so YMMV.

My previous settings were

[1] --> Download Speed | [78 Mbit]
[2] --> Upload Speed | [19 Mbit]
[3] --> Queue Priority | [besteffort]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [ack-filter pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [ack-filter pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms]

They are now

[1] --> Download Speed | [77 Mbit]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [raw diffserv4 rtt 80ms]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [raw diffserv4 rtt 80ms]

Observations

Adding raw removes the need to have either ack-filter or pppoe-ptm and provides slightly better throughput, latency and jitter. Adding either or both of them back (e.g. ack-filter raw pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms) gives a worse result.

Setting Speed to unlimited results in a very marginal increase in throughput at the expense of a substantial increase in both latency and jitter.

While reducing rtt marginally improves latency and jitter on for devices routed directly, after I go below 80ms, the throughput drops perceptibly on devices routed through a VPN on the router.

I tested using spdMerlin and betterspeedtest run on the router and DSL reports run on devices going direct and via VPN.

I have a similar setup, cable/docsis 100/10. After using @Linux_Chemist settings and doing some ping (rtt) measurements, I am getting all A's (and some A+!)

I also have installed spdMerlin. I have gotten 117Mbit down, 11Mbit up for months very consistent.
Measure a variety of ping times and there is a utility called betterspeedtst.sh that was in the /jffs/addons/util directory. I don't recall how it got there!!!!
If you don't have it installed on your router, here is the script:

In any case, note that the default rtt is 100 mSec. I would bet your average is much lower.
My testing showed an average of 30 mSec. I believe that setting the more correct rtt made the biggest improvement in my case.

Here are my settings:

download speed: 110
upload speed: 11
Queue Priority: diffserv4
Download options: docsis nowash rtt 30000
Upload options: docsis ack-filter rtt 30000

Try those as a starting point.
Good luck

I finally got around to trying this again. I reinstalled Cake, and tested with the default settings, and strangely enough, I was getting all A's on my dslreports test. Right before the install I confirmed a couple of B tests. I don't know why it worked better this time than before. Maybe my ISP was having issues the first day I tried it. Anyway, I did change the rtt to 50000 per the suggestion from @Linux_Chemist , but I was hesitant to touch the other settings since it was performing very well. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile to see if it continues to perform well or not.

Here are my settings:
Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8007: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 125Mbit besteffort triple-isolate nat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 50.0ms raw overhead 0 no-sce

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8006: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 9Mbit besteffort triple-isolate nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 50.0ms raw overhead 0 no-sce

If things change for the worse, I'll add the docsis options, and try some of the other settings similar to yours, unless anyone has a strong recommendation to change it now even with the good test results on near-default settings.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!!!

After reading the recent observations on raw and unlimited download speeds I have revisited and adjusted my cake settings. My notional connection is 80/20, VDSL/PPPOE, I am in a metropolitan area and all my tests are subject to the usual variances to be expected from external noise, so YMMV.

My previous settings were

[1] --> Download Speed | [78 Mbit]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [ack-filter pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [ack-filter pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms]

They are now

[1] --> Download Speed | [77 Mbit]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [raw diffserv4 rtt 80ms]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [raw diffserv4 rtt 80ms]

Observations

Adding raw removes the need to have either ack-filter or pppoe-ptm and provides slightly better throughput, latency and jitter. Adding either or both of them back (e.g. ack-filter raw pppoe-ptm diffserv4 rtt 80ms) gives a worse result.

Setting Speed to unlimited results in a very marginal increase in throughput at the expense of a substantial increase in both latency and jitter.

While reducing rtt marginally improves latency and jitter on for devices routed directly, after I go below 80ms, the throughput drops perceptibly on devices routed through a VPN on the router.

I tested using spdMerlin and betterspeedtest run on the router and DSL reports run on devices going direct and via VPN.

How does your connection respond if you remove diffserv4?

How does your connection respond if you remove diffserv4?
Allowing for variations between tests, I can see no difference; same latency, jitter and throughput both direct and via VPN.

Hello ...

I'm here with a important question and NEED BIG advice from you guys ....
I'm in a bad scenario where my router ASUS RT-86U with 384.19 are rebooting at 1-4 days over and over again ...On this link I explain in more detail how stuff affected me ....

I receive the advice to uninstall AIProtection ( because he is the bad guy ) and stay without but I lose Adaptive QOS with FlexQOS who work for me very well right now ....and to install CAKE instead. I read some posts here and what I understood is CAKE works very well with slow connections top recommended is 250.

Question ARE:

1. I lose serious speed with CAKE ?
Now I have 450-470 / 25 - 23 without QOS and 370 / 20 with FlexQOS active and other stuff on.
I need badly some QOS very well organized because I have a crowded network and almost all devices are online on most of the time.

2. Is this CAKE a solution ? work with Skynet and Diversion .... and so on ...devices etc ?

Look in attach about my network structure and on top of that put 6-10 wifi devices ....

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Also Big Thx to DAVID and other guys to guide me into FlexQOS
Cheers :cool:

Attachments

• My network -  sept 2020.jpg
    My network - sept 2020.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Is there a reason you are running the “old” FreshJR QoS and not the “new” FlexQoS?

I have a few questions about this, I did read some of it, but not all, so my apologies if these are redundant or repetitive.

1. I have an AC68U on cable 100/10, is it a good match for this, or just use none or the QoS that comes with the Merlin xxx.19 F/w?
2. I heard DSLreports test is unreliable, and netflix has fast.com - so is there any sites that can test internet quality changes (done in router) reliably?
3. Does DNS matter at all? I have it set to openDNS currently.
4. anything else?

Thanks

Hello ...

I'm here with a important question and NEED BIG advice from you guys ....
I'm in a bad scenario where my router ASUS RT-86U with 384.19 are rebooting at 1-4 days over and over again ...On this link I explain in more detail how stuff affected me ....

I receive the advice to uninstall AIProtection ( because he is the bad guy ) and stay without but I lose Adaptive QOS with FreshQOS who work for me very well right now ....and to install CAKE instead. I read some posts here and what I understood is CAKE works very well with slow connections top recommended is 250.

Question ARE:

1. I lose serious speed with CAKE ?
Now I have 450-470 / 25 - 23 without QOS and 370 / 20 with FreshQOS active and other stuff on.
I need badly some QOS very well organized because I have a crowded network and almost all devices are online on most of the time.

2. Is this CAKE a solution ? work with Skynet and Diversion .... and so on ...devices etc ?

Look in attach about my network structure and on top of that put 6-10 wifi devices ....

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Also Big Thx to DAVID and other guys to guide me into FreshQOS
Cheers :cool:

1. Maybe. Experimentation is your friend.:)

2. Yes, plays happily with everything.