What's new

Can I bridge wifi and LAN to update my NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanielCoffey

Regular Contributor
I need some advice on whether I can bridge my wireless and lan connections to allow me to use my wifi from my main PC to update a wired device.

I have an unRAID NAS running headless wired to my network switch. I have a desktop PC with a choice of Linux or Windows with both a wired connection to the switch and a wifi antenna. My switch is wired to my broadband router which is without broadband service.

My only internet access at the moment is through a mobile wifi dongle which the main PC can see.

There is no wifi enabled on the NAS. My desktop PC has a choice of wired (which can see the NAS connected to the switch) or the wifi dongle (which cannot see the NAS).

I would like to update the plugins and docker on the NAS. Given a choice of Linux Mint 18 or Windows 10 on the main PC, is there a way to have both the wired connection to the switch and the wifi dongle active at the same time on the main PC so that I can see the NAS but still access the internet to update the plugins?

Does that make sense?

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 435

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!