What's new

Can I use different types of WAN connection in Dual WAN mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zzz

Occasional Visitor
I have RT-AX86U and 2 WAN lines from different ISPs.
First line uses L2TP connection type and the second one uses Automatic IP.
Can I configure them in Fail Over mode?
The problem I face is that on WAN tab I can configure either L2TP or Automatic IP. It looks like I cannot have both at the same time.
Any advice?

I have RT-AX86U and 2 WAN lines from different ISPs.
First line uses L2TP connection type and the second one uses Automatic IP.
Can I configure them in Fail Over mode?
The problem I face is that on WAN tab I can configure either L2TP or Automatic IP. It looks like I cannot have both at the same time.
Any advice?
Oh, found it. After enabling Dual WAN first, I can configure each connection independently. Sorry for the stupid question.

Then you may find Dual WAN fail over/back non-working on your Asus router unless you physically disconnect the cables. Do a quick search around SNB Forums for solutions.

Then you may find Dual WAN fail over/back non-working on your Asus router unless you physically disconnect the cables. Do a quick search around SNB Forums for solutions.
Thanks for the note. Actually, last night my primary ISP was down, and the router switched to the secondary ISP properly. Today the connection to the primary ISP was restored, and the router switched back to it properly as well. I am using Merlin 388.1.

Dual WAN is the same in Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Monitor how it works because it's very unreliable.

Dual WAN is the same in Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Monitor how it works because it's very unreliable.
Thank you, I will. Actually, I do not need high availability infrastructure. ISPs in the area where I live now are not very reliable but if one is down and I will be able to switch to the other by simply unplugging the cable - that should do the job. Of course, automatic switching is preferrable but not mandatory in my case.

Monitor how it works because it's very unreliable.
Oh, how right you were! Worked with it for a week. Everything was fine except for Teams videocalls. In some of them no issues but in some the connection was lost for 5-10 seconds and then returned back. And that could happen several times during a call. Very annoying. Especially when you talk to your boss :) I was first thinking that the problem was in my new (second) Internet connection, but many tests lead me to think that the reason is Dual WAN. Just switched it off today like it was before.

Check it again around 2027. Asus is working on it.

Check it again around 2027. Asus is working on it.
:)

By the way, is it possible somehow to save the configuration for each ISP? My plan for now is to use the router in Single WAN mode and in case the primary ISP fails manually switch to the secondary one. They have different connection types (Automatic IP and L2TP) and it is not convenient to change all the settings manually each time I switch the connection. I tried to leave the lines where they were in Dual WAN mode (1G WAN and 2.5G WAN) and just change Primary WAN setting but the configuration for each connection does not seem to be preserved.

By the way, is it possible somehow to save the configuration for each ISP?

I don't know. I gave up testing Asuswrt. Every firmware is some kind of public Beta. Find the bugs game.

At the end I came up with a non-fancy solution but quite a reliable one. :)

Just printed out a short paper note indicating which parameters to change in case of ISP switching. Moving from the primary ISP to the secondary one requires 3 parameters to be changed while moving back does not need anything as default settings are working fine.

So, all-in-all, switching from the failed ISP to the working one is under 1 minute since the failure is noticed. Yes, this is purely manual but in my case it is OK.

Last edited: