What's new

Cisco Linksys X2000 and static IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fozzie bear

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I am from the UK and generally our ADSL ciruits provided by ISP's (with the exception of AOL who stil use PPPoE) are PPPoA VC/Mux. To authenticate you need a user name and password provided by the ISP and normally the ISP provides a WAN IP by DHCP.
I have just bought a Cisco Linksys X2000 wireless N router for a business situation primarly as it has a second WAN port so that if the customer needs more bandwidth later I can add a second ADSL via another modem. Because the site has a security system remotely monitored by a security company the ADSL circuit has been provided with a static IP address.

My problem is that the Linksys doesnt appear to be able to be set up for PPPoA and a static IP. I have had long chat sessions with Cisco and they say the router does not have this functionality. This is something I find hard to belive when competitors such as Netgear, D-Link, Vigor etc all provide this profile. That said maybe I can still use the router in its DHCP configuration.

Am I right that if the ISP assigns a static IP to the wan port this will never change even if the router is restarted?

I am used to configuring a device on a network with static IP address rather than the network always assigning the same IP. Unless of course this is the same principle as the LAN side where you can reserve an IP address of a DHCP scope for a particular device on the network that never changes?

However usually that is associated with the MAC address of the device? If I therefore change the existing BT Voyager 220v router with the Linksys X2000 will I have to clone the old routers mac address in order to receive the static IP?
Any help in understanding these principle would be much appreciated, otherwise I will have to return the router for a more expensive dual wan Vigor :eek:

Can you get your ISP to provide a modem and provision it with the static IP? Instead of the combo modem/Router? This is a good way to go because all modem issues belong to the ISP, not you.

In my area, the ISP provides the cable modem free (lease cost hidden in the monthly bill). Any problem at all, they roll a truck for service on the modem, and they will usually help with my router (not theirs), to a point.

Sorry, I can't find info on the X2000 from here.