What's new

Configuring OpenVPN Server to Permit Access to Multiple Sublans

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router running Asuswrt Merlin connected to a Cable Router at a remote location. I am trying to configure an OpenVPN Server on this router that will let me setup a client VPN connection from another RT-AC68U at a different location that will provide access to the networks on the LAN and WAN subnets on the server Asus router.

How do I do this? I can create a VPN client that permits access to the LAN subnet, but that won't let me access the Cable Router's subnet. If I configure the OpenVPN server as "BOTH", I can access both the LAN subnet, as well as the Cable Router's subnet, but then all of my internet traffic goes thru the VPN, which I do not want.

How can I configure these routers so that only the traffic for the two subnets is routed thru the VPN connection, and the other internet traffic still uses my local internet connection?