What's new

CPU at 100%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnbroe

Occasional Visitor
The display on the web interface is showing that Core 1 is running at 100% so I SSH'd on and ran the top command, pressed 1 to show the two cores and now I'm confused as the total CPU is just over 1%.

I can see that the nice and idle values are however showing a different story. From what I can see top, ps etc within the busybox image provided don't have the ability to show ni values against tasks so is there are way to show them? If I re-boot the router (AC3200) then the core drops back to to the normal 0%-3% but some time later it flips back to 100%

On the plus side it doesn't appear to be affecting the routers ability to work as a router but other than a complete wipe and re-build from scratch is there a way to debug this or fix it?

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    259.1 KB · Views: 260
The display on the web interface is showing that Core 1 is running at 100% so I SSH'd on and ran the top command, pressed 1 to show the two cores and now I'm confused as the total CPU is just over 1%.

I can see that the nice and idle values are however showing a different story. From what I can see top, ps etc within the busybox image provided don't have the ability to show ni values against tasks so is there are way to show them? If I re-boot the router (AC3200) then the core drops back to to the normal 0%-3% but some time later it flips back to 100%

On the plus side it doesn't appear to be affecting the routers ability to work as a router but other than a complete wipe and re-build from scratch is there a way to debug this or fix it?
I would recommend downloading hitop with entware package. It will allow you to take a more defined look at what is going on.

I would recommend downloading hitop with entware package. It will allow you to take a more defined look at what is going on.
Not sure if you meant hitop or htop ? tried opkg install hitop and it could not find the package. htop worked fine though and now shows the 'ni' column. thanks for the suggestion

I made a mistake reading the top output and its not a 'nice' issue but related to 'io' I've also noted that when the router re-starts then there are no aaews tasks or mastiff tasks so I've disabled the "NAT Tunelling on the Tools -> Other Settings page" (past post) . Lets hope that's fixed it but if not at least I'm now looking in the right area.

Installing 'htop' was a definite step forward but now installed 'atop' as well.

Not had any more issues so looks like turning off NAT tunneling (post #6) has resolved it. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions :)