What's new

CPU usage 100% on one core Asus RT-AC66UB1 using Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shahzadjaved

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

I have Asus RT-AC66U_B1 router. I was using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14_2 (1-1-2020) up till now. Today I upgraded the firmware of the router to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_4 (30-Apr-2021) which is the latest one available.

Soon after reboot I noticed that one core of router processor is always 100%. Normally before the upgrade both cores used to stay well below 20 to 30% most of the times. I have restarted the router several times but still found that one core almost always remains 100%. I searched on the internet and found some suggestions so I turned Channel selection of both 2 and 5 Ghz from Auto to Manual but still the problem persists.

When I SSH into the router and used the top command I can see that "aaews --sdk_log_dir=/tmp" is using 49% of CPU and this command has several instances running at the same time.

I am worried that if the CPU usage is unnecessarily 100% all the time, router may overheat or get damaged. Can anyone please advise on this issue?

Attachments

• CpuUsage.jpg
    CpuUsage.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 174
  • SSHcpuUsage.jpg
    SSHcpuUsage.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 183
There is a warning in the 386.1 release notes that upgrading from the 384 release will involve "database maintenance on first boot" that "can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour". However, other forum members have reported it actually taking many hours to complete. Be patient.

Hello Collin. Thanks for the info.
after 24 hours, one processor core was still 100% all the time. I restarted the device several times and it resolved the problem.
thanks for your help.