What's new

DHCP Assigning Manual IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HugoGTM

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I would like to have your help with the below issue.

We have an ASUS RT-AC68P with Merlin Firmware v 380.65 at home. As far as I know this problem was not comming up with the ASUS latest oficial firmware. The router has a private network in 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz they are protected with a password and is used for "Home" devices which have manually assigned IPs from the .2 to the .14. The other network is an Open Guest Network.

Now the problem is that there is Samsung device that is connecting to the Guest Network and gets two IPs, either .28 or .4 when this last one is manually assigned. I don't know who's the owner of the phone and was not able to identify if it consumes data but the Android device (the authorized one) looses internet access but not wireless conection. I already tried to create a Wireless MAC Filter but the device keeps getting conected to the router.

Below the screen shot of the network map, when you hover your mouse over the Samsung device it shows a message saying "2 clients are connecting to RT-AC68U through this device."

z1MRnwQ.png

Is this a bug or did I missconfigured something?

Last edited:
Try IP Mac binding your device to a different address, not manually setting it static. I have a ddwrt repeater bridge Linksys wrt54g with a nas attached to it and it shows up as two devices. Do you have another router connected to yours? Possibly plugged in the lan on both sides? Pulling dhcp?

Sent from my Nexus 6 with Pixel XL build.prop

Try IP Mac binding your device to a different address, not manually setting it static. I have a ddwrt repeater bridge Linksys wrt54g with a nas attached to it and it shows up as two devices. Do you have another router connected to yours? Possibly plugged in the lan on both sides? Pulling dhcp?

The device's IPs were assigned in the "DHCP Server" option under the "LAN" menu, are you refering to a different option when you say static ip?

The ASUS router is wired connected to the UBEE cable router that my ISP provided no other router or device is wired connected to the ASUS or UBEE

Tried assigning another IP to the Android device and it works but the Samsung device keeps showing the same thing under .4 or .28 IPs . Even when the device is already blocked via MAC filter.

Manually assigning an IP on the device itself and trying to turn the dhcp down to about only 5 connections?

Manually assigning an IP on the device itself and trying to turn the dhcp down to about only 5 connections?

Got it, I will try that! Without DHCP how will the guests get their IP? Around 30 to 50 different devices get connected to the guest network.

Got it, I will try that! Without DHCP how will the guests get their IP? Around 30 to 50 different devices get connected to the guest network.
Just seeing if it still puts that Samsung IP the same as the other android. Basically put your android as a static of 192.168.1.50 and change the dhcp pool the from 100-150. Just see if it follows.

Also try Fing on the app store or play store and it will give you info like this. Basically it is both ips that are showing up. I would ping both and see if both answer as well.
245491737fe79a1714abc669fa98dfeb.jpg

Most likely you your google (android) has hotspot on and Samsung is chaining off that hotspot.

Hi all,

Just came around to give some updates on this, as I believe there might be something wrong with something.

I pulled out the manual IPs from the DHCP pool and for all devices the router is assigning as it should be... from .15 forward. However this same Samsung device, when removed from the MAC filter, connects to the .2 address and in the clients list it shows the same name as the device this IP is assigned to (a wifi printer) and the same thing, the device looses access to internet but not to the network.

For now the device is MAC filtered and no issues at all.

Thanks again all for your help!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!