What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.2 - the Router Ad-Blocker, April 21, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello.
First of all thanks @thelonelycoder for such a great update. I believe this change in diversion helps both router capacity and browsing experience.

I’m having some issues with the whitelist. Especifically with this website tvx.adgrx.com. I’m unsure if other sites are being affected by this.

No matter if it’s included in the whitelist, diversion will block it in all devices. I have proceeded lists multiple times as well as rebooting router with no luck. I will appreciate your feedback on what could I be doing wrong.
Do you have the latest Diversion installed?

Do you have the latest Diversion installed?
Of course. I even forced an update just in case.

Log keeps showing that domain as blocked

Attachments

• IMG_4561.png
    IMG_4561.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 34
Hello.
First of all thanks @thelonelycoder for such a great update. I believe this change in diversion helps both router capacity and browsing experience.

I’m having some issues with the whitelist. Especifically with this website tvx.adgrx.com. I’m unsure if other sites are being affected by this.

No matter if it’s included in the whitelist, diversion will block it in all devices. I have proceeded lists multiple times as well as rebooting router with no luck. I will appreciate your feedback on what could I be doing wrong.
You would need to whitelist adgrx.com instead of tvx.adgrx.com, since only adgrx.com appears in the big OISD list.

Another idea for @thelonelycoder would be to whitelist in a different manner. Instead of trying to match and delete from the blocklist, just force the whitelisted domain to resolve using the standard resolvers (saw this approach in Dirk Brenken's adblock on OpenWrt):
Code:
server=/tv.adgrx.com/#

@andresmorago You could try adding the above line to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add as a test and see if the domain resolves properly.

Last edited:
You would need to whitelist adgrx.com instead of tvx.adgrx.com, since only adgrx.com appears in the big OISD list.

Another idea for @thelonelycoder would be to whitelist in a different manner. Instead of trying to match and delete from the blocklist, just force the whitelisted domain to resolve using the standard resolvers (saw this approach in Dirk Brenken's adblock on OpenWrt):
Code:
server=/tv.adgrx.com/#

@andresmorago You could try adding the above line to /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add as a test and see if the domain resolves properly.
That should be /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.

Hi,

My swap file (2GB) disappeared in the migration.
Do I need to recreate it after the Diversion update?

Hi,

My swap file (2GB) disappeared in the migration.
Do I need to recreate it after the Diversion update?
It should not have been affected (possible glitch with USB drive?), but, yes, recreate it.

Code:
server=/tv.adgrx.com/#

@andresmorago You could try adding the above line to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add as a test and see if the domain resolves properly.
Thanks.
Adding it to the dnsmasq.conf.add helped. Domain now resolves correctly!
I will also check whitelist record and make sure it has its entire form.

Another fine-tuning observation: the essential_whitelist() function is missing the new default oisd domains small.oisd.nl and big.oisd.nl.
Where does the essential_whitelist() function reside?

Code:
server=/tv.adgrx.com/#

Thank you for posting, this is the same issue I was trying to figure out a few pages ago. All I could see was that whitelisting subdomains wasn't working, but I didn't know enough about how Diversion worked to properly diagnose my issue.

This makes complete sense now understanding how the whitelist works.

In /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div
So, poking around and playing a bit, I discovered that small.oisd.nl or big.oisd.nl are added to /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Diversion-whitelist automatically when you enable Standard or Large blocklist in Diversion. I think that, as usual, @thelonelycoder has our backs covered.

What extra dns service are you running on the router?

NextDNS is known to play badly with dnsmasq and other addons’ customizations.
Was away for a few days but you are 100% correct - i had nextdns installed (but not running) and once i uninstalled it, everything worked perfectly. Thank you!

That is a massive simplification for whitelisting. Dnsmasq simply is awesome. Thanks so much @dave14305 for the observation.
That also means a re-rewrite of several parts of Diversion. Might take a while.

Another fine-tuning observation: the essential_whitelist() function is missing the new default oisd domains small.oisd.nl and big.oisd.nl.
Done, thanks.

So, poking around and playing a bit, I discovered that small.oisd.nl or big.oisd.nl are added to /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Diversion-whitelist automatically when you enable Standard or Large blocklist in Diversion. I think that, as usual, @thelonelycoder has our backs covered.
Every list domain gets auto-added to the whitelist. Always been that way.

That is a massive simplification for whitelisting. Dnsmasq simply is awesome. Thanks so much @dave14305 for the observation.
That also means a re-rewrite of several parts of Diversion. Might take a while.
I agree that dnsmasq is awsome !!! :)

In dnsmasq --local is a synonym for --server, which means that the format for a 'Whitelist' entry & a 'Blacklist' entry are almost the same:

local=/www.example.com/
local=/www.example.com/#

The 1st entry is the format to return NXDOMAIN as per your Blacklist/Blockinglist
The 2nd entry is the format to 'Whitelist' by using the 'standard resolvers'

Possibly the block/black/white lists could all be combined !!!??? (Don't know if this makes sense to do ..... just an idea.)

[I tried local=/<domain>/#, created from my whitelist, and it worked well, also have previously been using local=/zip/ to filter out the .zip TLD amongst recent 'stupid' TLD creations :) ]

Many thanks for your continuing hard work for us all, much appreciated !!!

Hi folks,

Noob question alert, but does Diversion have a GUI? I've just started trying it after my AdGuard Home stopped working. I can't even get it to re-install properly as it will disappear from my router when rebooting. Diversion seems to work fine however, it would be great to be able to easily manage whitelists etc without needing to log in to the router. Thank you :)

Hi folks,

Noob question alert, but does Diversion have a GUI? I've just started trying it after my AdGuard Home stopped working. I can't even get it to re-install properly as it will disappear from my router when rebooting. Diversion seems to work fine however, it would be great to be able to easily manage whitelists etc without needing to log in to the router. Thank you :)
Click the LAN tab.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!