What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.2 - the Router Ad-Blocker, April 21, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey all, I will be on a troubleshooting job in Copenhagen for the rest of the week. Do not expect a Diversion update to come out soon.

@thelonelycoder, your REAL job always comes first!
The one that pays the bills and finances my vacations. I will be on a job in Massachusetts in March, followed by three weeks vacation in my favorite spots in the US Southwest. Flights are paid for by the company, obviously. Enjoying the - well deserved I might say - perks of my job. You give a lot and you shall receive.

Anyone else setup the "Exclude devices from Ad-blocking" option yet?

b, 6
Code:
!  DO THIS NOW: Log into this routers WebUI

- Go to LAN > DHCP Server
 - Adjust "IP Pool Starting Address" from the
   standard xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (typically 192.168.1.2)
   to xxx.xxx.xxx. (e.g 192.168.1.),
   xxx.xxx.xxx.-1 would be the reserved address
 - Make sure the reserved address is not used
   by your other devices
 - Then click "Apply"

You will need to enter the IP address next

My existing DHCP lease range is 192.168.50.101 - 192.168.50.254
I tried modifying the the starting address to 192.168.50. as specified in the instructions, but the router balks at the IP address format stating it's invalid. Seems it really wants that last octet of the address.

Alternatively, can I just skip the steps above and designate an IP address which is outside the DHCP scope, such as 192.168.50.99?

Anyone else setup the "Exclude devices from Ad-blocking" option yet?

b, 6
Code:
!  DO THIS NOW: Log into this routers WebUI

- Go to LAN > DHCP Server
 - Adjust "IP Pool Starting Address" from the
   standard xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (typically 192.168.1.2)
   to xxx.xxx.xxx. (e.g 192.168.1.),
   xxx.xxx.xxx.-1 would be the reserved address
 - Make sure the reserved address is not used
   by your other devices
 - Then click "Apply"

You will need to enter the IP address next

My existing DHCP lease range is 192.168.50.101 - 192.168.50.254
I tried modifying the the starting address to 192.168.50. as specified in the instructions, but the router balks at the IP address format stating it's invalid. Seems it really wants that last octet of the address.

Alternatively, can I just skip the steps above and designate an IP address which is outside the DHCP scope, such as 192.168.50.99?
I think there’s an orphaned variable $sIP in 5.0 that will need @thelonelycoder to review next week.

You can use any address from .2 to .100 since your current DHCP range is quite narrow.

Hi,

Do you know why I see some of my local IPs in the blocked domains?
I use the following blocking list and, obviously, local IPs aren't on it (nor in a blacklist): big.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2

i This follows the Dnsmasq log file (tail -F)

1. Unfiltered log
2. Unfiltered log extra highlighted
3. Blocked domains only
4. Blocked domains, by device IP
5. Term or IP

Enter selection [1-5 e=Exit] 3

i Press Ctrl+C to exit

17:23:45 192.168.1.101
17:23:46 192.168.1.117
17:23:50 192.168.1.112
17:23:50 192.168.1.130
17:23:50 192.168.1.245
17:23:50 192.168.1.135
17:23:51 192.168.1.137
17:23:54 192.168.1.229
17:24:28 securepubads.g.doubleclick.net
17:24:28 cdn.confiant-integrations.net

Hi,

Do you know why I see some of my local IPs in the blocked domains?
I use the following blocking list and, obviously, local IPs aren't on it (nor in a blacklist): big.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2
It’s currently unable to differentiate between domains blocked by a block list, and IPs blocked due to the “Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS” on the WAN page. Perhaps a future update will filter out private IPs which would not be found in a block list.

Just updated diversity to 5.0 version, added https://big.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2 and https://nsfw.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2 to blocking list, launched Dnsmasq log and see these lines almost constantly scrolling:
192.168.1.116 is Panasonic OLED TV currently turned off, that has never even had the Netflix app running. I think I will ask Panasonic support what the hell they are doing :)
PanasonicTV-logs-Netflix.png

Just updated diversity to 5.0 version, added https://big.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2 and https://nsfw.oisd.nl/dnsmasq2 to blocking list, launched Dnsmasq log and see these lines almost constantly scrolling:
192.168.1.116 is Panasonic OLED TV currently turned off, that has never even had the Netflix app running. I think I will ask Panasonic support what the hell they are doing :)
View attachment 55454
A lot of times, apps like these are pre-installed on your TV and probably running some service in the background... even if you've never used it. And even though it seems like it's off... it's probably still has some components running the Android system in the background as well. Like some kind of stand-by mode... my Sony TV does the same.

A lot of times, apps like these are pre-installed on your TV and probably running some service in the background... even if you've never used it.
I know that and I'm aware of such "things" and I'm so thankful for diversity addon developer that we are able to see personally in easy way how many information is "leaking" our systems / devices and being delivered somewhere :) and we can block some of them.
So my point was just a kind of interesting fact :) and more interesting would be what answer Panasonic will give me for my question.

Interesting name variant. I wonder if I should reserve the domain.

Got too many Windows devices running on your network? Not a problem! Diversity 5.0 will firewall off the vast majority of your Windows devices to encourage proper device diversity on your LAN! Want to see more Linux and Mac clients on your network? Give Diversity 5.0 a try!

Got too many Windows devices running on your network? Not a problem! Diversity 5.0 will firewall off the vast majority of your Windows devices to encourage proper device diversity on your LAN! Want to see more Linux and Mac clients on your network? Give Diversity 5.0 a try!
Diversity is a diversion of University. So basically an educational experience. For users and coders alike. I like the Windoof/Mac variant too but for some this would divert and steer more to Adversity.
Though the 6.0 is far off and I like the 5.0 version more. I did watch the full Better Call Saul series. There's an episode called Five-O https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3866650/. I had that in mind all the time. One of the highest rated Episodes. A must watch!

I think there’s an orphaned variable $sIP in 5.0 that will need @thelonelycoder to review next week.

You can use any address from .2 to .100 since your current DHCP range is quite narrow.
Indeed, it lost its parent - poor soul.

If you ever need someone to carry your bags and make sure your shoes are polished each day, PM me.
I am a very independent individual.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!