What's new

Diversion Diversion not working. DNS issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Method

New Around Here
Hello people,

I've installed amtm, Diversion and Skynet onto my ASUS Router RT-AC66U B1.

Diversion says it's up and running, ad block active. But yet I have not seen any results of this. My internet traffic still gets ads on sites here and there.

I've read the issue about using other DNS servers making Diversion not work. So I followed the FAQ and activated DNSFilter and set it global mode to Router.

Other than that no DNS server is applied in LAN->DHCP SERVER->DNS server 1&2 both empty.

Only in WAN->internet connection have I set DNS server 1&2 to a specific one of my choosing. Following Diversion FAQ instruction.

When i test which DNS I'm using on a website it says it's one of Googles, which I have not chosen anywhere.

Anyone know what I'm missing here? Much thanks!

Last edited:
On which device are you testing which DNS server you are using? Router itself? Phone? PC? Mac? Fridge?

Go to the router settings and see if you see the USB device. I have the same router and while using the ext4 format, I constantly had problems reading USB. When I noticed ads, I went into the settings and saw that the USB was gone. After EXT3 format - I have no problems.

I doubt, that your phone and PC are using your router as DNS.
Does your phone has a different DNS configured in privacy settings?
Do you have any VPN running on your phone or PC (Cloudflare WARP, 1.1.1.1, etc)
When you ssh in your router and run "nslookup ibm.com" what do you see?

Also, if your browser cached DNS (Firefox does this) then lookups don't even go to Diversion. Look up clearing your browser's DNS cache and see if that helps.

Go to the router settings and see if you see the USB device. I have the same router and while using the ext4 format, I constantly had problems reading USB. When I noticed ads, I went into the settings and saw that the USB was gone. After EXT3 format - I have no problems.
The USB is seen on the WebGUI normally. There is also no issue in opening diversion/amtm via putty for example.

No VPN is being run. Also no specific DNS has been chosen on my Phone or PC settings.

Although this is what I see on my chrome settings for my phone and PC. Should this be changed? (If so, do I have to do this for all devices? Isn't there a way to make diversion work without altering every device? Such as the DNSFilter function I've applied?)
038f0541a5.png

And this is the result of nslookup. 1.1.1.1 Is the selected DNS in WAN->internet connection dns 1&2. Which was done following diversion FAQ instructions. The LAN settings for DNS are empty.
14b6b32a03.png

What would the fix be if you have a VPN?

Anyone with an idea on the issue? Could it be AiProtection interfering?

I'm looking for a solution where the DNSFilter can apply to all devices so I don't have to change every chrome settings on each device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!