What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then probably your Android device is using hardcoded Google DNS (I know most Android devices prefer Google DNS by default) and I don't think it's something due to the router and the only thing you can do to bypass that hardcoded DNS is to use DNSFILTER.
You'd be right if google's dns would still show up with both dhcp dns fields filled (router's ip). In that case android does only set the router ip for dns. Dnsfilter works, but why not hard set router's ip in the dhcp dns? If there's a technical limitation I understand, but if not, it would solve the android dns issue for everyone?

but why not hard set router's ip in the dhcp DNS? If there's a technical limitation I understand, but if not, it would solve the android dns issue for everyone?

As I said in my last reply the router already does that if you leave the DHCP DNS fields empty. Why your Android device is not respecting the settings is something I can't tell you without further troubleshooting.

You will need to reboot at least the device and maybe the router, to make sure the settings take effect too.

As I said in my last reply the router already does that if you leave the DHCP DNS fields empty. Why your Android device is not respecting the settings is something I can't tell you without further troubleshooting.
I get what you're saying, something seems wrong on Android and hopefully on my Android device alone. But if not, all other Android users will also have the 2nd dns server pointing to google, which will lead to adblocking not working (because of round-robin) and alot of confusion why ads are still appearing on android devices. Hopefully some other Android users can do a quick test?

1 check your current wifi dns settings on your android device, is the secondary dns google's dns?
2 fill out both dns fields (your router ip) in the router dhcp server tab, hit apply, wait until done
3 on your android device, disable wifi and enable wifi again, check your dns settings on your android device, you should now only see the router dns ip.
- now revert the changes you made in step 2, or restart Diversion.

edit: I'll perform some restarts on my devices, just to be sure.

update: same issue after restarting router/phone

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, something seems wrong on Android and hopefully on my Android device alone. But if not, all other Android users will also have the 2nd dns server pointing to google, which will lead to adblocking not working (because of round-robin) and alot of confusion why ads are still appearing on android devices. Hopefully some other Android users can do a quick test?

1 check your current wifi dns settings on your android device, is the secondary dns google's dns?
2 fill out both dns fields (your router ip) in the router dhcp server tab, hit apply, wait until done
3 on your android device, disable wifi and enable wifi again, check your dns settings on your android device, you should now only see the router dns ip.
- now revert the changes you made in step 2, or restart Diversion.

edit: I'll perform some restarts on my devices, just to be sure.
"Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" only is activated if either of the DNS server fields are populated ("...in addition to user-specified DNS"). So DNSFilter is probably the best option.

DNSFilter is a proper solution for this problem yes.
I'm just thinking that if this is an Android wide issue, every person with an Android device would need to configure the DNSFilter to make sure the secondary dns isn't pointing to google.

I hope some other people will do the test and report back, so you can act on it if needed.

Last edited:
Using recommended settings above I can only see the router addresses (ipv4 and ipv6) for DNS1 and DNS2 addresses are blank (0.0.0.0 and :: ) Nokia 7.1 running Android 10

Using recommended settings above I can only see the router addresses (ipv4 and ipv6) for DNS1 and DNS2 addresses are blank (0.0.0.0 and :: ) Nokia 7.1 running Android 10
thank you for testing, I'm on OnePlus 6 Android 9
I really hope it's just me

thank you for testing, I'm on OnePlus 6 Android 9
I really hope it's just me
I have a OnePlus 5T and with both Android 9 and 10 I get 8.8.8.8 as my secondary DNS.

If you use Chrome you can try disabling Async DNS resolver from chrome://flags. Unfortunately for me I still get Google DNS as my secondary.

I wanted to add "*.connectedpdf.com" to the wc blacklist. (without the quotes of course)
Diversion says, I can't add it because it has a "*" in the domain name. What am I doing wrong?

I wanted to add "*.connectedpdf.com" to the wc blacklist. (without the quotes of course)
Diversion says, I can't add it because it has a "*" in the domain name. What am I doing wrong?

Remove the * and add it like "connectedpdf.com" and Diversion will do the rest.

When I tried to enable ad blocking for Youtube I got this error message: "Error No recent YouTube domain found, view some YouTube videos in a browser!" so I watched some videos with ads on my PC and tried again and then I got the following error message: "Error YouTube IP is not valid". What am i doing wrong?

When I tried to enable ad blocking for Youtube I got this error message: "Error No recent YouTube domain found, view some YouTube videos in a browser!" so I watched some videos with ads on my PC and tried again and then I got the following error message: "Error YouTube IP is not valid". What am i doing wrong?
Is Diversion up to date? Run u to check.

Yes, it's up to date, also ran uu.
Do you have a reset option in b, 8? If so, reset it and try enabling it again.
If that is not available or still not works, then there's option d, 7 to reset the Dnsmasq log files. Be aware that this will skew stats if you have it enabled, but it should work.

Do you have a reset option in b, 8? If so, reset it and try enabling it again.
If that is not available or still not works, then there's option d, 7 to reset the Dnsmasq log files. Be aware that this will skew stats if you have it enabled, but it should work.

No reset option visible, I did reset the Dnsmasq log files with d-7, but it still says "Error YouTube IP is not valid".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!