What's new

Diversion Diversion uninstalling itself randomly.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
So I’ve been finding that randomly sometime after doing entware updates diversion at some point days and reboots later decides that it wants to uninstall itself. My other amtm apps like skynet are fine it’s only ever Diversion and I only ever notice when I start getting advertisements. Has happened multiple times throughout different Merlin versions, after it’s reinstalled no issues.

Are you using a USB drive or SSD? It may be the USB drive might be going bad. How long have you had it?

Are you using a USB drive or SSD? It may be the USB drive might be going bad. How long have you had it?
USB ext4 set to usb 3.0. Couple years I’ve had it, but ran a surface test on it and it came back fine. Doubt it’s a wear issue, since it only happens after doing a opkg update / entware update. I suspect the updated entware likely has a component that diversion uses and the paths are different. Why it doesn’t uninstall immediately when updating entware I’m not sure.

Haven’t bothered looking into it much myself because it seems like a bit of a rabbit hole diagnosing an issue I’m not familiar enough with.

USB drives are known to go bad when used this way. They're multiple threads with folks having issues with the USB drive gng south. For me, I'll noticed Diversion will not start up correctly after a reboot when the USB is starting to fail. I would start there or try to reformat the USB and setup again to see if this fixes the issue.

USB drives are known to go bad when used this way. They're multiple threads with folks having issues with the USB drive gng south. For me, I'll noticed Diversion will not start up correctly after a reboot when the USB is starting to fail. I would start there or try to reformat the USB and setup again to see if this fixes the issue.

Okay well I’ll replace it. I’d use a ssd externally, but it’s overkill. I have a server NAS and a backup key turn NAS so beyond diversion and skynet the usb doesn’t do much.

Okay well I’ll replace it. I’d use a ssd externally, but it’s overkill. I have a server NAS and a backup key turn NAS so beyond diversion and skynet the usb doesn’t do much.
You can try reformatting the USB and see if this fixes the issue before upgrading as well.

You can try reformatting the USB and see if this fixes the issue before upgrading as well.
I’ll try that first. Been awhile will probably just wipe the whole router too since I usually do a dirty update from the last versions of Merlin without a factory reset.

I’ll try that first. Been awhile will probably just wipe the whole router too since I usually do a dirty update from the last versions of Merlin without a factory reset.
Are you seeing any weird messages in your syslogs around the time when you do entware updates/diversion uninstalls? If entware is going corrupt, you'll usually start seeing these weird "tainted" messages where standard executables/services are having trouble running.

Are you seeing any weird messages in your syslogs around the time when you do entware updates/diversion uninstalls? If entware is going corrupt, you'll usually start seeing these weird "tainted" messages where standard executables/services are having trouble running.

Unfortunently didn't cross my mind to look. I've reset some things so if I end up running into this again I'll take note to look. I just assumed at the time it was because I went and installed entware updates which broke diversion, since this happened once before when i got updates. But certainly as you say it could have been due to a faulty usb stick or filesystem.

Using a known/good setup is never 'overkill'. USB sticks were never meant to be used like we need them with amtm. The older ones were actually much better.

But today, the cheap prices of even 256GB SSDs with a quality (but inexpensive) external enclosure ensures that hardware/nand issues won't be the first problem guessed at.

An external enclosure with a quality SSD will probably be the last one you buy for this use type.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!