What's new

Downgrade Asus RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maframan

New Around Here
Hi all,

is it possible to downgrade ASUS RT-AC87U with firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3459 so I already the possibility to install merlin custom firmware. If yes, with the tool ASUS Firmware Restoration?

Thanks for your support.

I don't recall anyone mentioning that combination.

Try and let the rest of the group here know. ;)

Hi all,

is it possible to downgrade ASUS RT-AC87U with firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3459 so I already the possibility to install merlin custom firmware. If yes, with the tool ASUS Firmware Restoration?

Thanks for your support.
According to the changelog you cannot downgrade to anything under 380_3000 due to a change in the firmware's file image. Also, any Merlin version under the alpha 380.60 version is no good either. However, you can use the firmware recovery utility to flash back to any version you like including dd-wrt or USBTomato. Those steps are:

1. Power down the RT-AC87U.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0. The LAN tab will bring you to your router's LAN IP and subnet mask if you are unsure.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your ethernet cable to any ethernet port other than #1 as that is the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. Clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Configure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here.

That is it. Obviously, the best course of action is to not flash to anything above 380_3000 if you are not having any issues. At least not for some time. Personally, I am on 380.58 and am having no issues AFAICT.

Good luck.

Last edited:
According to the changelog you cannot downgrade to anything under 380_3000 due to a change in the firmware's file image. Also, any Merlin version under the alpha 380.60 version is no good either. However, you can use the firmware recovery utility to flash back to any version you like including dd-wrt or USBTomato. Those steps are:

1. Power down the RT-AC87U.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0. The LAN tab will bring you to your router's LAN IP and subnet mask if you are unsure.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your ethernet cable to any ethernet port other than #1 as that is the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. Clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Configure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here.

That is it. Obviously, the best course of action is to not flash to anything above 380_3000 if you are not having any issues. At least not for some time. Personally, I am on 380.58 and am having no issues AFAICT.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your support.

Hi all,
I can't do the downgrade in my AC87U. The software "Firmware Restoration" can't connect with the router. I connect with #3 ethernet port.

Hi all,
I can't do the downgrade in my AC87U. The software "Firmware Restoration" can't connect with the router. I connect with #3 ethernet port.
Have you read the post above yours or above that?

Yes and no work. Is it possible downgrade telnet?
Are you sure you have done #3 right with ip number and netmask on pc-lan adapter? Very importent.

Yes, I put it 192.168.1.2 (IP), 255.255.255.0 (Netmask), 192.168.1.1 (Gateway) and ethernet port #3.
And you get the power LED blinks slowly when pressing and release reset button?
Have any switch between router and pc?

Yes, power light blinking and no switch connected between pc and router.

Attachments

• snapshot.JPG
    snapshot.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 880
Those having problems may want to try this procedure from @Engineer, except start with the IP address 192.168.1.2 for the client. The TM-1900 has been dealing with the firmware lock since early after it was released.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac...-accept-378-56-or-anything.32857/#post-264728

Just to give credit, I didn't come up with this method, simply took what a good poster wrote and verified it worked and then added it to the guide. I'm very sorry that I don't remember who wrote it though (getting old). Great that it works though!!!