What's new

Dropping Internet Connection on WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FastLaneTech

Occasional Visitor
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm a full time self employed computer tech with over 20 years experience. I am not super fluent in network troubleshooting. I am pretty good at basic and some minor advanced features in networking. I do home automation programming/installation and computer support with Mac and Windows PC's for residential and small businesses. I'm having an issue that I cannot resolve. I have two locations that are having the same issue. Here's the spec list:

-ASUS RT-N66R at residential location using 2.4G and 5G wifi band on channel 9 using current Merlin firmware over Comcast internet 100MB/10MB (Speedtest results are 13ms ping/126MB down/12MB up). Hardwire devices over Netgear gigabit network switch (unmanaged) 16 port. 22 devices connected in total.
-ASUS RT-AC66R at business location using 2.4G (5G disabled) wifi band on channel 6 using current Merlin firmware over Comcast internet 100MB/50MB (Speedtest results are 8ms ping/110MB down/51MB up). Hardwire devices over Netgear gigabit network switch (unmanaged) 24 port. 28 devices connected in total.
-I have added script to schedule reboot at 4am every day to help with stability on both devices.
-Each location has had wifi signal tested for interference of other wifi routers. That is why each has been moved to a different channel that was not being used in the area.

We are getting connectivity dropping over wifi. The wifi connection is staying connected to router, but no internet signal. It usually lasts 30 seconds or less. It seems the hard wired devices work fine. When I go to test speeds/connectivity (speedtest.net) it works fine and so does the wifi. Comcast says its a hardware problem on our end and ASUS support says settings are correct. I had a tech remote in and look at settings on the router. ASUS thinks its a Comcast issue.
Is there a way to monitor network traffic (unattended/logged/report generated etc) to figure out where specifically we are losing connectivity? Is there a way to add this to the ASUS routers? Maybe a small feature that can ping random sites or a site list to see if it is external or internal issue? I'm stumped on this and can't figure out where to focus the repair. I hope I have given enough information to help resolve this.

You could monitor your internet connectivity by going here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

But TBH it seems unlikely that that is the problem. IMHO it's more likely to be the unreliable wireless on the router. I (and others on this forum) have experienced recurring wireless dropouts. Personally, I can go weeks without seeing a problem then for no reason all the wireless clients (on a particular band) will be dropped 3 days in a row. The clients still think they are connected but if you look at the association list on the router they have all disappeared.

Like you, I ended up scheduling an overnight reboot (of just the wireless) to minimise the frequency of being woken up early in the morning by an irate family member. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has ever got to the bottom of what causes these drops. It could be environmental or maybe a badly behaved client. Either way, it knocks all the clients off of the band.:(

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we can figure this out. I was looking into purchasing some hardware testing devices and wanted to avoid spending $2k on something that may or may not give me the results I am needing.

Agree. Test the router first. try a different one to see if the same problems exist. if no, then it's a broken wireless router. if yes, then its a connected device or an external factor, such as a microwave oven, a cable getting interference, or the like. Or a neighbor with a egregious wireless setup.

The router involved is a consumer item. It's not necessarily perfect, even if you swapped out the firmware.

I wouldn't ask the client to spend $2000 without first trying out a spare router.

I remember back in the day long ago someone replaced a serial cable with one that was straight through. I suspected hijinks, since the connection was working nicely for a longtime beforehand. I fixed the problem by replacing the cable. No guilty were discovered but I made sure mgmt knew why the paid for my visit.

My point: sometimes the simple solution is the one that works. sometimes the client has bad equipment and not a complicated extraneous issue.

Last edited:
You did not specify the bandwidth of the 2.4 connection. Using 20 MHz bandwidth could give a more stable connection. My RT-N66R has been up for 66 days on the latest Merlin build. Also use channel 1,6, or11.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

20Mhz is currently where I'm at. I read that in the forums to use 20Mhz for better stability. Customer originally had a Netgear router at the residential location and it was doing something similar. After talking to Comcast they said it was definitely the router. So I went and purchased the ASUS for the customer. Called back Comcast and they said it is till on the consumer side. Now I'm here. While I was troubleshooting the settings the business customer called with the same issues. So now I'm worried that it is an ASUS issue... trying to pinpoint issue now. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

20Mhz is currently where I'm at. I read that in the forums to use 20Mhz for better stability. Customer originally had a Netgear router at the residential location and it was doing something similar. After talking to Comcast they said it was definitely the router. So I went and purchased the ASUS for the customer. Called back Comcast and they said it is till on the consumer side. Now I'm here. While I was troubleshooting the settings the business customer called with the same issues. So now I'm worried that it is an ASUS issue... trying to pinpoint issue now. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
My tablet has an app that shows all wireless connections in the area, their channel, and the relative strength of the signal. Have you looked to see if someone is washing out the channnel(s) in use? Download one like it.

If the wired devices work fine, it couldn't be comcast.

Test again. I's free and easy from your phone.

Last edited:
You seem to have covered all the obvious things. It's interesting that it's effecting 2 different models of router and 2 different sites.

I would definitely suggest you setup that ping monitor I linked to (it's free). At least you can use it to eliminate a WAN problem. Other than that, have you looked at the syslog on the routers for any clues?

If the issue only affects wifi clients, look for a potential source of interference. Your usage of channel 9 for instance indicate you are overlapping clients on both channel 6 and 11, two widely used channels (as they are non-overlapping). Your issue might occur whenever something else (like a neighbour) starts transferring a lot of data on an overlapped channel.

It can also be occasionally caused by one single clients transmitting a lot of noise, impacting other clients.

Yes, I use "Wifi Analyzer" free app on Google Play store. I am using the logging feature. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I'm using an old 512MB USB drive I had laying around so I can keep long logs without a problem. I'm signing up for the ping monitor. I'll see if I can use it on multiple locations.
Hi Merlin! Thanks for the the awesome firmware! I used the "Wifi Analyzer" app to see what channels are in use locally. The only one available at the residential location was 9. The others are overlapping other neighbors... hold on. I'm driving by that location in just a bit. I'll pull up the app and see what channels are not overlapped.

Channel 3 and 5 are not in use. Currently the router is the only one on channel 9. Should I choose one of those?

Channel 3 and 5 are not in use. Currently the router is the only one on channel 9. Should I choose one of those?

Each channel has a total width of roughly five channels. That means if you are on channel 3, then you are overlapping channels 1 through 5. Anyone on channels 1 through 6 would then overlap with you on channel 3.

That's why you typically want to only use channels 1, 6 or 11, as these are the three only non-overlapping channels.

Last edited:
Ok. 9 is the only one no one is on. I'll stay on that one.
I was setting up the ping monitor and it's asking for my "Post Code" and I assumed it was my postal code? Said it was invalid. I probably am missing something here. (noob)
-Nevermind... the ping monitor is a UK site and I'm in the US. Can't use it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was setting up the ping monitor and it's asking for my "Post Code" and I assumed it was my postal code? Said it was invalid. I probably am missing something here. (noob)
-Nevermind... the ping monitor is a UK site and I'm in the US. Can't use it. Thanks!

Sorry, typo in my post - I meant 1, 6 or 11.

As RMerlin stated, using channels other than 1, 6 or 11 is seen as interference by other routers. And the router that is on a non-control channel sees activity on 1, 6 or 11 as interference to it's operation. This is a no win situation for all.

Wifi works best for all immediate parties when the routers are allowed to synchronize with each other and share the bandwidth properly.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/very-slow-on-2-4ghz.26942/#post-205456

ive actually been having the same issue... a router reboot usually fixes it my wired clients work fine... but wireless becomes intermittent android devices switch the wifi off... tvs can't stream netflix or if it works it works super slow until a reboot happens.

I also have a comcast modem.. but if the wired work then it can't be the comcast modem...

Thank you for your feedback L&LD. Thanks Brian540 for sharing too. I've been using the reboot feature at 4am to see if this helps. I setup an RT-N66R at my personal home. I have Comcast too. It was time for a router upgrade anyways. Only problem is my automation system uses WEP only. I left the old router in the loop as a subnet just for the home automation system. I configured the router just like I did at the other locations. Last night we had the same issue trying to stream Hulu to our bedroom over the Amazon Fire Stick. We usually don't watch TV in our room. Only device that is usually used is the Chromecast in the living room. We have not used it in a while but the kids like the Chromecast for streaming their YouTube videos when they get home from school. I updated the FireStick and tried to watch some shows. The dreaded loading icon kept popping up and also would disconnect. I did almost exactly the same settings at the residential location. I can't say it's a router issue yet as we did not use the FireStick in about 6 months. We tested it and never really used it. The kids will use Chromecast today when they get home. If it's flaky they will call/text me. Minecraft videos are very important now days! I will observe it for a while and see what is going on. I did get up when it was doing the "loading" and disconnecting and reboot the Comcast modem, network switch, and router just to be on the safe side.

Hey FastLaneTech,

I had a very similar issue. Where the ap would be broadcasting but devices weren't able to connect. I found that my router's signal would drop every time I tried to connect. Almost like the router is faking me out..

Like RMerlin said changing firmware isn't a permanent solution but I've found TomatoUSB to be a little more stable. I did have this issue with tomato once already but after I switched that wireless signal to 20 MHz it started work again. Tomato seems to have a partial fix for this bug. I've noticed the connection drop out like on Merlin but come back almost instantly allowing me to connect.

Here's a link to the firmware and install instructions read the comments.
https://gist.github.com/joshenders/3941269

There's also a very good but long video on YouTube that explains everything well.

Last edited:
Comcast says its a hardware problem on our end and ASUS support says settings are correct. I had a tech remote in and look at settings on the router. ASUS thinks its a Comcast issue.

Feeling comcastic, eh?

One thing to look at is the modem's local stats/logs - many cable modems will have a diagnostic page at the following URL:

http://192.168.100.1

Look at the various stats, but the logs can tell a lot...

Howdy,
Your missing what is being said.

You should be using channel 1 or 6 or 11 for the 2.4Ghz band
Yes, use the 20Mhz wide only for better stability

Anytime you are splitting channels, you can get interference from both sides. What you want to do is use something like insider on a laptop, or Wifi Analyzer on your smart phone to only see what main channel (1,6,11) has the least amount of wifi usage and signal strength .

Remember, splitting channels is not good.