What's new

ET8 Backhaul Fail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jplw

Regular Contributor
I have a brand new ET8 system. When it was set up, it used 6GHz as the wireless backhaul. It started out with a "Great" connection, then dropped to "Ok" after about and hour. While "Ok" on 6GHz is worked great. Now I just discovered it has changed to a 5Ghz "Great" backhaul...but does not work AT ALL. Devices can connect to it, but have no internet. The 6Ghz ssid is hidden, and the wireless page says "This band is used as dedicated backhaul. You can disable Hide SSID to allow devices to connect." I have set ""Backhaul Connection Priority" to 6GHz and "Preferred WiFi Uplink AP" to the other ET8, but this has no effect. Any ideas???

I have a brand new ET8 system. When it was set up, it used 6GHz as the wireless backhaul. It started out with a "Great" connection, then dropped to "Ok" after about and hour. While "Ok" on 6GHz is worked great. Now I just discovered it has changed to a 5Ghz "Great" backhaul...but does not work AT ALL. Devices can connect to it, but have no internet. The 6Ghz ssid is hidden, and the wireless page says "This band is used as dedicated backhaul. You can disable Hide SSID to allow devices to connect." I have set ""Backhaul Connection Priority" to 6GHz and "Preferred WiFi Uplink AP" to the other ET8, but this has no effect. Any ideas???
Let your devices choose the best backhaul. Forcing one method can lead to poor operation and your frustration. Also use the WIFI defaults on the main router.

I di use the defaults, but there is NO INTERNET connectivity at all for anything that connects to the node...so that is not working. It is a brand new paperweight.

I moved from the defaults to try to get connectivity back, but it did not work. I thoughht 6Ghz was suposed to have nothing to interfere with it.

I moved from the defaults to try to get connectivity back, but it did not work. I thoughht 6Ghz was suposed to have nothing to interfere with it.
Maybe it is time to reset the router and nodes and start over. Hard Factory Reset is the best and a manual configure is well worth your time. It is hard to get back to default settings when you change them.

Maybe it is time to reset the router and nodes and start over.

Yeah, reset-and-reconfigure-manually is time-tested advice around here. Another suggestion is to try a different firmware version if you can. What version are these machines running?

I am well aware of reset and update, however, this was a brand new out-of-the box system. I updated the firmware to the latest version on the router manually before otherwise configuring it, After I added the node, the dashboard complained that the node's firmware was out of date, so, I just updated it through the gui. Was that my error? Should I have removed it as a node, hard reset, connect dorectly to the node unit, updated the firmware, then added it back as a node?

Was that my error?

No, but since you are setting up a new system a reset to factory defaults after firmware update won't hurt anything.

I am well aware of reset and update, however, this was a brand new out-of-the box system. I updated the firmware to the latest version on the router manually before otherwise configuring it, After I added the node, the dashboard complained that the node's firmware was out of date, so, I just updated it through the gui. Was that my error? Should I have removed it as a node, hard reset, connect dorectly to the node unit, updated the firmware, then added it back as a node?

Install the current firmware, hard reset to the firmware default settings, and then configure minimally from scratch. Don't build up the network configuration until the basics are working as required.

OE

try the firmware from GNUton. its a fork from Merlin.

i had issues with my ET8 (slow wifi uploads). flashed this firmware and it fixed it. for the ET8 you need the RT-AXE95Q firmware. for the XT8 you need the RT-AX95Q firmware. flash it from the web interface the same way you would an asus firmware.

now that this firmware is available maybe asus will release one too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!