What's new

Exclude website from being routed to VPN (policy based routing)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, @eibgrad
Is it possible to make a alternative script to include specific website only being routed to vpn?
Thank You!

@eibgrad or whomever it may concern, I did manage to find some time to work on this and it is possible to keep rp_filter in strict mode while using ipsets and fwmarks for routing:

My previous setup (excluding route tables and routing rules):
Code:
#mark matching packages with fwmark:
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -m set --match-set MYIP dst -j MARK --set-mark 0x8000/0x8000

#set rp_filter to loose
echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
Now rp_filter needs to be set to '2' (loose) for this to work as only outgoing packages are marked.

For the sake of the test, lets set rp_filter to strict:
Code:
#set rp_filter to strict
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
now my connection to domains in MYIP are broken because of rp_filter blocking.

Now if we instead marked with connmark and restored it to fwmark all packages in this connection will get this mark (both ways):
Code:
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -m state --state new -m set --match-set MYIP dst -j CONNMARK --set-mark 0x8000/0x8000

#restore connmark to fwmark:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark

Now I can see packages and connections are marked but connection still broken. Still blocked by rp_filter as it doesnt account for fwmarks in its lookup.

So as a final touch:
Code:
#enable rp_filter to use fwmark:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/src_valid_mark

Now connection works and domains included in MYIP is connecting over WAN instead of VPN as normal routing would have put it. And rp_filter is still in strict mode.

Dont know if this adds any value to anyone but I thought I'd post it.

Last edited:
@eibgrad thank you for making this script! I was worried that my little guest network/VPN project was doomed to fail after I found out that x3mRouting didn't get updated for VPN director, but yours works perfectly. Plus, I can actually understand it; the narrower scope really helps.

I'm using it to skip the VPN for some streaming sites + sites that throw tons of captchas when they detect a VPN (looking at you, Google).