What's new

Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 45EC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Use the Asus Firmware Restoration/Recovery tool available on their website for every product...it's the only way to upload the Fork firmware after using the official version. Just look around for the howto as it's pretty easy. https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN16/HelpDesk_Download/

When I try using Asus Firmware Restoration/Recovery tool (doesn't work at all in my Windows 10 desktop -- Works on my old Windows XP laptop) I can only get to 58% at Max. firmware install progress before the utility says device isn't in rescue mode.

at cmd prompt entering ping 192.168.1.1 -t I can see that my N16 is in rescue mode for a few seconds [TTL=100] then it goes to [request timed out] then to [TTL=64]

something has changed, because at command prompt (before the successful installation of the stock firmware) the router would/could stay in Rescue mode literally for hours.

Glad to hear you have it recovered!

Check the installation notes in LTS_OVERVIEW.pdf
The comments would also apply to trying to revert to an OEM level prior to those listed.
I'm not sure where that LTS_OVERVIEW.pdf file is.

I'm not sure where that LTS_OVERVIEW.pdf file is.
Also, the sticky post in this forum (I should have pointed you there)

But you have already got to the restoration tool.
Might try the Mini Web server. When you get into rescue mode, try going to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser (make sure to include the http since the latest browsers will automatically default to https).

EDIT: One other thing....updating the MIPS based routers this way can be REALLY slow. Even after it appears to hang at 58% (or whatever %), let it sit. It can take 30min to almost an hour for an update this way to complete.

Last edited:
Thanks! Just an update for anyone reading this. This is my current setup and I tested it for 2 days now , taking PiHole offline and so on, and it seems to be working great
LAN DHCP:
DNS 1: PiHole IP
DNS 2: Router IP

WAN:
DNS 1: PiHole IP
DNS 2: 9.9.9.9

DNS Filtering Custom #1
DNS 1 Custom: Router IP
Exception: PiHole (No Filter)

Hey I copied this from the other thread, and I made earlier today on the same topic and when I disconnect PiHole my entire internet drops out. Am I missing any other settings you might have toggled? Also by router IP I assume you mean e.g. 192.168.1.1?

This is completely trivial, but on the log-out screen, is it possible to get a log-in link (as the current Merlin software provides)? I end up hitting the back button which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. (I can't screenshot the current Merlin Logout.asp because it's now working properly to auto-redirect. Sigh.)

Newbie question: does this LTS fork have fq_codel or cake? Thank you!

thank you @john9527 for another release for our aging hardware.
My rt-n66u (mips) was retired to a WAP role - an increasingly important one now with the remote work.
yesterday I've tried to upgrade to 45EA release but it got software bricked.
I'm trying to recover it via webCFE flash - but it's painfully slow

My rt-n66u (mips) was retired to a WAP role - an increasingly important one now with the remote work.
What firmware version were you upgrading from?

Also does this fork have AI mesh/node and is it compatible with stock and merlin versions?

Also does this fork have AI mesh/node and is it compatible with stock and merlin versions?
No it doesn't support AiMesh.

LTS_OVERVIEW.pdf:
The fork does include
• Maintenance for documented security issues​
• Maintenance for supporting open source components (such as OpenSSL, Openvpn, dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)​
• Backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch​
• An improved implementation of Traditional QoS​
• A different IPv6 stack which may work better in some environments​
• A separate build with older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)​
• Less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels​
• Support for Merlin jffs custom scripts and configs​
• Support for AMTM and user addons with gui integration​

The fork does not include
• The new TrendMicro DPI engine functions for ARM routers​
• The enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.​
• Some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log​
• Support for the ASUS router control app​
• Support for 5 VPN Clients as in Merlin (this fork supports 2 client instances). Note that the N16 does not support VPN Client/Server due to memory limitations.​

Last edited:
I did run the upgrade and did some testing on my N66 before putting up the new version without any problems (in router mode). Anything else unique about your setup besides it running in AP mode?

I did run the upgrade and did some testing on my N66 before putting up the new version without any problems (in router mode). Anything else unique about your setup besides it running in AP mode?
just a uSD card (on internal slot) mounted with entware
hmm...and I haven't allowed it enough time to let it reboot by itself I've manually power cycled it after the 4 minutes window (counted by web-ui)

just a uSD card (on internal slot) mounted with entware
hmm...and I haven't allowed it enough time to let it reboot by itself I've manually power cycled it after the 4 minutes window (counted by web-ui)
I ran an additional 3 downlevel/upgrade sequences between 44EA and 45EA. Each time, it did post the Manual reboot msg (something must have 'shifted' between the images), but it did come up OK every time after the power cycle..
My N66 doesn't have the SD slot, but I did run with a USB drive plugged in.

DId you get the Manual reboot required msg?

no ,I did not get the message - only it reached the 4 minutes countdown.
one interesting fact was that the internet was still up - both radios were up and running. ssh/http admin was off though

no ,I did not get the message - only it reached the 4 minutes countdown.
one interesting fact was that the internet was still up - both radios were up and running. ssh/http admin was off though
Afraid I'm going to have to throw in the towel on this one. Reconfigured as as AP and did another series of downlevels/upgrades. Tried over ethernet attached to the AP, wireless connected to the main router and even wireless connected to the AP. All went OK.....even had one or two times where it rebooted successfully without the Manual reboot msg, although most times it did require a manual reboot.

One last thought though.....were you using Safari as your browser? I can speculate that may cause a problem if you started the upgrade, then switched so the upgrade tab no longer had focus (quirk in Safari).

Hey I copied this from the other thread, and I made earlier today on the same topic and when I disconnect PiHole my entire internet drops out. Am I missing any other settings you might have toggled? Also by router IP I assume you mean e.g. 192.168.1.1?
That is it, did you add the Strict-order? also are you sure the client is getting the router IP as 2nd DNS?
yes router ip = 192.168.1.1 (in most cases)

That is it, did you add the Strict-order? also are you sure the client is getting the router IP as 2nd DNS?
yes router ip = 192.168.1.1 (in most cases)
He sorted out his problem in his original thread. His post here is redundant now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!