What's new

GT-AXE16000 dual WAN and reserving IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

obsanity

New Around Here
I'm running this with dual WAN 1:1 load balance. All seems fine until I try to manually assign an IP to a mac address on a device. Steps are LAN->DHCP Server ->Enable Manual Assignment -> Yes-> Choose client name -> click + -> Apply
After it gets to 100% I loose all internet access to all wired and wireless devices. The only way to fix the issue is to remove the manually reserved device. I've also tried not checking the Yes/No in the "Enable Manual Assignment" option and just simply adding a device. Same result. Is this a bug with dual WAN or am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to the forums, @obsanity.
If you haven't already, try to change the sequence to:
  1. Turn off Dual WAN
  2. Manually assign IP to MAC addresses
  3. Turn on Dual WAN
Hopefully that helps, please report back!

Tried that just now. As soon as I turned off Dual WAN half of my wireless devices didn't connect and my wired desktop could not establish connection to the router settings page. It had internet but when I try going to any page loading was very slow. I then unplugged the 2nd WAN ethernet cable and after few seconds I was able to get connected to the router interface. Changed back to dual wan, rebooted and plugged back the 2nd wan. It is working again but I was not able to test this using single wan. My assumption is that I will have to do a factory reset to clear cache of some IP tables that are not working well when dual wan is enabled. Maybe I'll try saving my settings and doing that next. I wonder if anyone else is using dual wan with issues. My guess is this is not a very common situation and this feature hasn't been tested enough.

If you don’t object to running the Merlin firmware:

You can give the @Ranger802004 script a try and see of it does what you need.

Dual WAN functionality in factory Asus firmware is and always has been a mess.

If you don’t object to running the Merlin firmware:

You can give the @Ranger802004 script a try and see of it does what you need.

Dual WAN functionality in factory Asus firmware is and always has been a mess.
Actually, the description on this script is how Asus firmware works right now. I can disconnect one of them and it immediately falls back on the other. Once connected again, it starts doing load balance between them again. I don't think that is what's broken. I think changing settings doesn't properly clear something. It's an ongoing test so I'll report back with my findings. Thanks for suggestions.

Actually, the description on this script is how Asus firmware works right now. I can disconnect one of them and it immediately falls back on the other. Once connected again, it starts doing load balance between them again. I don't think that is what's broken. I think changing settings doesn't properly clear something. It's an ongoing test so I'll report back with my findings. Thanks for suggestions.
That’s the the exact limitation of the factory firmware, Works fine for physically disconnects but watch what happens when there is a physical link on primary but the connection is not good. The router will failover and constantly failback because it considers primary good for having a physical link and then it switches back and fails again when the ping monitor fails again.

That’s the the exact limitation of the factory firmware, Works fine for physically disconnects but watch what happens when there is a physical link on primary but the connection is not good. The router will failover and constantly failback because it considers primary good for having a physical link and then it switches back and fails again when the ping monitor fails again.
Interesting. I tried what you suggested but removing the coax cable from my cable modem. You are correct that the internet connection was hit and miss. So the auto network detection settings don't actually have any effect in the stock firmware? The link to FAQ in that setting just talks about setting this up for failover but nothing is mentioned for load balancing. I guess this means I'll be trying Merlin with that script you mentioned as it notes it also works the same in failover. Here are my current settings which suggest ping every 3 sec twice before assuming disconnection.
1692568239514.png

Interesting. I tried what you suggested but removing the coax cable from my cable modem. You are correct that the internet connection was hit and miss. So the auto network detection settings don't actually have any effect in the stock firmware? The link to FAQ in that setting just talks about setting this up for failover but nothing is mentioned for load balancing. I guess this means I'll be trying Merlin with that script you mentioned as it notes it also works the same in failover. Here are my current settings which suggest ping every 3 sec twice before assuming disconnection.
View attachment 52487
I’d appreciate any feedback you have as I’m the developer of that script.

So the auto network detection settings don't actually have any effect in the stock firmware?

The reason so many Dual WAN threads exist with people running custom scripts or separate routers with proper Dual/Multi WAN management.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!