What's new

Help - Asus RT-AC86U or RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roller5435

New Around Here
I'm a longtime forum viewer and love Tim's product reviews. I'm asking for help deciding between the Asus AC86U ($200) & AC5300 ($240 - on sale).

The router will be used in a 2,000 square foot two story cottage (range is helpful). Typically there are at 6-10 devices (Ipads, Androids phones, computers, etc....) on the network streaming or on the internet surfing the web.

Upgrading from a T-Mobile AC68U and was working pretty could until the latest Asus firmware and then it crashed. I'm leaning toward the AC86U based on it is a more recent product and appears to get a little better range & a better processor based on Tim's reviews. I was considering the AC5300 based on it being tri-band and its sale price.

Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Only reason to get a tri-band router is if you have a very high density of clients (e.g. 30) or a mix of multiple dual band legacy and modern devices.

Otherwise, you may as well get the more modern router which is the cheaper RT-AC86U in your case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!