What's new

Help configuring 2 wireless routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rikd

New Around Here
As oe of you saw in previous thread am trying to setup my home LAN with a DGL-4500 doing 5GHz11N, and a DIR-655 doing 11G.

the DGL is the router providing internet (via DSL modem), DHCP and QoS.

My problem is trying to get the 2 routers connected so that the devices hooked off the DIR can access the internet.
I've looked at quite a few guides but am struggling to get it working..

I have the DGL with the output from the modem connected to the it's WAN port. IP is set to 192.168.0.201/255.255.255.0, DHCP set to range 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199

I then configured the DIR to have an IP of 192.168.0.202/255.255.255.0 with DHCP, FW, QoS all turned off. Then configure (as suggested by other sites) the internet settings to static IP where
IP is 192.168.0.202
Subnet 255.255.0.0
GW 192.168.0.201

But the DIR refuses to allow it complaining that the WAN and LAN subets are conflicting.

Anybody got any ideas?

You need to set the LAN IP of the DIR to the settings that you describe and connect one of the LAN ports of the DIR to a LAN port on the DGL. No need to set anything on the Internet side of the DIR, since you are not using it as a router.

I had tried that and wasn't working hence went the other way...
So tried again - still couldn't get DHCP to work for clients on DIR side...

Then light went on - this was my main router before, and had MAC filtering on. Disabled it and it all works!!!
Now I need to just update the MAC filtering on both boxes to include each other :)

Thanks for help - it definitely steered me in the right direction.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!