What's new

Help: Networking issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giopas

Regular Contributor
Hello everybody,

I have some issues at home that I am unable solve, and I hope in your advice.

I start with the description of the networking plan.

My place (2 floors) has Ethernet cables in each room. Cables all go in the basement where I have two gigabit switches to link them together.

In the living room I have the TV cable plug which also provides internet connection through a simple (no wireless) modem.

I have plugged to such modem my RT-AC87U router which then uses one switch port to send connection in the basement, so that all rooms have internet access served by the router.

As my place is relatively large, I have decided to use some other Asus products to extend the wireless coverage: 1 RP-N53, 1 RP-A56 and 1 RT-AC68U. All of them are set in Access Mode: i.e. they're connected via Ethernet to the wall plug and they provides the same wireless SSID (2.4 and 4GHz) than the (main) router.

For sale of clarity I have plug the wan port of the RT-AC68U to the wall via Ethernet.

In all cases I let the device find the best channel frequency.

Problem1: often, even if I have a lot of signal, the wifi hangs and I cannot connect to internet (e.g. from my phone).

Problem2: if I plug my laptop (eth only) to a wall plug where I usually use the RT-AC68U, I can access all local resources but not internet.

Please note that the two NASes I have, as well as the smartTV (all wired) connect flawlessly to the internet.

What can be wrong in my setup. Do you have suggestions on which test I have to run to better understand the situation?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Problem2: if I plug my laptop (eth only) to a wall plug where I usually use the RT-AC68U, I can access all local resources but not internet.

Do you have suggestions on which test I have to run to better understand the situation?

You might like to try plugging the ethernet-only laptop into all the other ethernet wall sockets in the house. If it has Internet connectivity from some of them but not others, look for the differences between the two groups of sockets.

For example, are the sockets with no Internet connectivity all connected to Switch 1, and those that do have connectivity to Switch 2?

Were some of the sockets originally used to connect telephones, and have later been re-purposed for computer use?

It looks as though there may be a cabling problem. If so, you need to sort this out before moving on to Problem 1, the WiFi issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!