What's new

help to optimize my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ynohtna

Regular Contributor
A bit annoyed that I discovered my pro pioneer doesn't support vlan tag or whatever. I thought that's what the 2nd NIC was for! :)

Anyways, I don't have any segregated networks or anything. I thought jumbo frames and vlan tags were the answer for me, but unrealized limitations thwarted that.

I have a 2008 R2 server machine hooked up to a GS108t. I'm using it for Hyper-V.

My virtual disks are on my pro pioneer with x-raid2. The two are right next to each other on the GS108t. Without hyperV turned on, I get about 50MB/s transfer (measured by windows 2008r2) from my pro pioneer to my 2008 Server R2 machine.

Simple question is, shouldn't I be doing better? Would jumbo frames actually work (or screw up the rest of my network? I have a cable hooking up the switch to a WNDR3700)

I see on the charts that a readynas pro 6350 hits 104.7.... how can I get these numbers?

I have a two drive raid0 on my 2008 server..... 2xseagate 7200.10 500g gig drives I believe.

That's still the limiting factor?

You never mentioned what protocol you are using but I think you should be able to see higher speeds than that for SMB. Those two drives in RAID 0 should have read/write speeds above 100 MB/sec for at least the first half of the array. Do you have much data on the drives in your NAS or in the Server 2008 client?

Jumbo frames might help a little but in my experience I have not seen much difference.

To see the kind of performance listed in the NAS charts you might have to narrow down the variables. Start with a blank RAID 0 array in both the NAS and the client. Then setup a simple SMB share on the NAS and use it for testing. Basically start with the simplest network and client/NAS setup possible with nothing extra running on the client or NAS and see what the performance is. From there you can add on more services and more complex setups to see when performance drops.

Even before that you might be able to use iperf to make sure your network setup has no bottlenecks. According to the Netgear forums it looks like it might be possible to use iperf on your NAS.

00Roush

thanks for the input,

I really figured it would be just plug the right hardware and boom away you go. My Readynas has 6x 2TB drives, and maybe only 2TB are filled. I just dragged and dropped a large file to see the speed.

Mind you, I'm quite pleased with the VM performance but if it can be a lot better why not? :)

Anyways, I have some direction to go on, thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!