What's new

Home setup question, range extension etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
Hello, looking for suggestions. We live in a older home - single story, with a finished basement. I have the ability to add CAT 5 in the basement and have done this. This is where the bulk of the computers are - 2PC (1G ports) and older PC (100 port) running FreeNAS, a Xbox 360 with a USB 'G' adapter. I'm on DSL - modem supplies a WRT54GL (Tomato) with a ASUS 520GU as the G WiFi and print server.
I have 2 laptops (both MAC's) that move about the house. Because of the home layout and the fact the furnace and ducting makes it difficult to get a strong signal from the 520GU upstairs (main floor). I do not have an option to add a CAT 5 cable from downstairs to upstairs.

I would like to rework the system behind the WRT54GL to move to possibly dual band - G for the xbox and N for the laptops and enough speed to stream audio and video to upstairs wirelessly (from the NAS box to the laptops)

What hardware or combination of hardware could I use to extend the range - can I wirelessly connect 2 routers on the same channel and SSID? To feed the signal from downstairs to upstairs.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Stephen

second "router" would be an access point (AP). An AP goes nearer the area of poor coverage and connects by cat5 cable to a switch or router.

You can purchase an AP, or fake any router to be an AP. There's a FAQ here for that.

What I use is a pair of MoCA devices, to move 70Mbps through the house's TV coax to other places. At that point, I have an ethernet switch to which is connected devices, PCs and an AP. I did this instead of cat5 runs.

I have a similar situation, in that some of my stuff is downstairs in the basement where the ducting makes wifi weak at best. I picked up a set of Netgear HomePlugAV adapters from the local Staples, and use them to connect upstairs to downstairs. They aren't super fast compared to gigabit or even regular 10/100 ethernet, but still considerably faster than wifi especially in a situation like this. Literally plug-n-play, which was nice ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!