What's new

how to save and restore settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rojula

New Around Here
Hello there, this is going to be my first post here and I do not have any knowledge about networking, please be nice. I have rt-ac3200 running Merlin 384.10.13 but want to upgrade to my new rt-ax86u , do I have to convert ac3200 to asus firmware to be able to apply the settings to the ax86u. Also the save tab on the ac3200 there are 2 check boxes one for ddns name to be transfer and the other one for the config debugging.
do I need to check these 2 boxes? Thanks in advance.

Hello there, this is going to be my first post here and I do not have any knowledge about networking, please be nice. I have rt-ac3200 running Merlin 384.10.13 but want to upgrade to my new rt-ax86u , do I have to convert ac3200 to asus firmware to be able to apply the settings to the ax86u. Also the save tab on the ac3200 there are 2 check boxes one for ddns name to be transfer and the other one for the config debugging.
do I need to check these 2 boxes? Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you want to save your AC settings and then transfer them to your AX . If that's what your saying then firstly no you can't swap settings from an AC device to an Ax device. If that's not what you mean I apologize.

@Rojula, when I want to reuse the DDNS name (not often, just as easy to create a new one), I simply put a dummy name in the field of the router I don't want to use anymore. This frees up the original name.

It is not recommended to use a saved backup config file from one model of a router to the same model, let alone to one that is vastly different in hardware, kernel, and code used.

I suggest taking screenshots of each of your customized pages in your current router (no need to flash to stock).

When you are minimally and manually configuring the new router, refer to these screenshots but do not 'blindly' put in old settings that may have worked on the old router. Instead, use the defaults until experience shows to do otherwise.

The M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides (see the last two paragraphs in the link below) may have some helpful suggestions for good 'defaults' for you. I would suggest new/never used SSID's as a minimum on the way to creating a fast, stable, and reliable network with the upgraded hardware.

Thanks guys for the responses, I much appreciate . Royarcher, you are right, that is what I want do just to try to save time and headaches re-installing 50+ clients(this is the main thing) other settings I have them on default, don't have the time to play for now with other settings , we are a family of 3 working from home, relying on stable internet. L&LD , thanks I'm going to try that and thanks for the link.

The beauty of having two routers is that you can immediately switch back to a working one while troubleshooting the other. :)

This should be an easy 'upgrade'. Don't make it seem more than it is.

Yes L&LD you'r right on this, I can switch back to ac3200 if something goes wrong with ax86u, what concern me is the setting of all the clients that I have, it's going to be a time consuming task.

It doesn't have to be. Take it slow, here is your chance to test it fully, and don't change settings that don't need to be changed/set and make sure you are fully testing all previously working features before you add another one.

Make it only as complicated as it needs to be.

It sounds like you want to save your AC settings and then transfer them to your AX . If that's what your saying then firstly no you can't swap settings from an AC device to an Ax device. If that's not what you mean I apologize.

That's not totally correct. I purchased my AX88, Jan this year, before that, I used an AC87. When I got the AX88:
- I first saved the settings from the AC87
- loaded the latest firmware at that time on the AX88, then did a factory reset
- restored the AC87 settings into the AX88

Of course, only the common settings are restored. I had to set the AX88 specific/other settings. Since then, I've been lucky enough to be able to upgrade the firmware as it came out without having to do any factory resets (crossing my fingers on that one :) )

@arrow201 the keywords are 'lucky'. :)

Nothing prevents you from doing so. Probability of problems arising increases with how many features/customizations are used in each network though and the interaction with the client devices too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!