What's new

Is 'per-app' OpenVPN routing policy possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ted Danson

Regular Contributor
Just wondering if per-app policies are possible on OpenVPN client(s)? I know in the Android version of OpenVPN that it is possible to do, is the same possible on Merlin FW?

The reason I ask is that I am looking to have an OpenVPN client switched on all the time. Policy would then dictate that, for example, an Amazon FireTV was the host and the apk being launched is the source (or source IP if you will) and the destination would be wherever that apk makes first contact. Or at least that is my understanding of it!

I've tried going about it the long way, by sniffing packets on an Android phone and have managed to add a bunch of CIDR IP's to the VPN policies on my router. However it was starting to get silly and I ended up with about 40 or 50 entries in there and the application would launch, pass geo-detection and open the app, but streams would not play.

I don't want to get too trigger happy with CIDR IP's either as, now knowing what the Pay TV service I'm looking to put through the VPN uses, I don't want to have it break other services I subscribe to too. All legit and above board by the way, not dodgy stuff.

I even disassembled the apk to find stream URL's, which I managed to do successfully. I added those and got more things working. Channel icons, tv guide and so on. But still no stream. No geo-detection issues, just no stream initiation.

So rather than mess around further, I wonder if we can take the features of the Android OpenVPN app and use them on our routers? Any ideas?

Many thanks again to everyone, this is a great community and resource I'm glad I happened to stumble upon.

Not really. The only information the router has access to is the source IP and port, and destination IP and port. Beyond that, it has no way of knowing what application is running on the client device.

Not really. The only information the router has access to is the source IP and port, and destination IP and port. Beyond that, it has no way of knowing what application is running on the client device.

Straight from the boss! That's good enough for me. CIDR block hunting it is then.

Thanks for the reply. :)