What's new

Is there a way to connect via WAN to use WOL on an unresponsive server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

W.Archer

New Around Here
Hello all!

I tried looking online, in the wiki, and other documentation but I could not find an answer. Sorry for this:

I am travelling away from my home office in another city. I've got an RT-AC5300 running 386.7_2 behind a cable modem. I am sure that the WAN/LAN connection is running as I have access via various apps to Arlo, Nest, Lutron, etc.

A server I have in that office is currently unresponsive, and I need some course files from it. I am not sure why it is offline. Normally, while in the office, I would connect to the router and wake up the server that way.

However, I can't seem to connect to the AC5300 from the city that I'm now in. I can't recall if I opened up HTTPS remote access. Are there any other tools that I can use instead? (e.g. telnet, ssh). Are there special ports & protocols that I can try?

Thank you very much,

Hello all!

I tried looking online, in the wiki, and other documentation but I could not find an answer. Sorry for this:

I am travelling away from my home office in another city. I've got an RT-AC5300 running 386.7_2 behind a cable modem. I am sure that the WAN/LAN connection is running as I have access via various apps to Arlo, Nest, Lutron, etc.

A server I have in that office is currently unresponsive, and I need some course files from it. I am not sure why it is offline. Normally, while in the office, I would connect to the router and wake up the server that way.

However, I can't seem to connect to the AC5300 from the city that I'm now in. I can't recall if I opened up HTTPS remote access. Are there any other tools that I can use instead? (e.g. telnet, ssh). Are there special ports & protocols that I can try?

Thank you very much,
The focus is usually on preventing any outside user from accessing the router on the WAN side. So usually SSH access is off, and WAN access to the GUI is off. Both solutions I can think of require preparation while you still have access to the LAN side.

The first is to set the server's bios to power up on restoration of power, and then plug it in to a wifi power plug. In the same way you have access to Nest, Lutron, etc., you can then turn the power plug off and on. (That introduces another point of failure though).

The second is to set up an OpenVPN server on the router to provide secure, locked down access to the LAN from the WAN side, and then use the routers WOL feature.

The only solution I can think of that might be even remotely helpful to you is to persuade someone with physical access to go to the server, turn it off, and then turn it back on.

The focus is usually on preventing any outside user from accessing the router on the WAN side. So usually SSH access is off, and WAN access to the GUI is off. Both solutions I can think of require preparation while you still have access to the LAN side.

The first is to set the server's bios to power up on restoration of power, and then plug it in to a wifi power plug. In the same way you have access to Nest, Lutron, etc., you can then turn the power plug off and on. (That introduces another point of failure though).

The second is to set up an OpenVPN server on the router to provide secure, locked down access to the LAN from the WAN side, and then use the routers WOL feature.

The only solution I can think of that might be even remotely helpful to you is to persuade someone with physical access to go to the server, turn it off, and then turn it back on.
@elorimer - you have a very pleasant way of telling me that I am doomed :) Thank you for the wi-fi plug idea for the future, though! The remote site is now snowed in which makes talking a relative into heading there a little more challenging.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!