What's new

ISP Modem In Bridge Mode, advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I have an RT-AC86U with WRT-Merlin 384.7_2

Skynet and Diversion are installed and running well. Also, the OpenVPN server is running, and I have a OpenVPN Client connected to a paid VPN service running.

And in AiProtection in the "Router Security Assessment" all the fields are green (i.e. UPnP is disabled, WAN Access is disabled and so on).

My ISP's Modem/Router is in Bridge mode.

So, I'm guessing the 86U is exposed to the WAN & its firewall is protecting my LAN.

I'm just wondering if there are any other things I have to do to make sure my network is secure with this configuration?

Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I’m also interested to hear all answers on this.

I can say this... and I’m not sure if it has any effect in bridged mode, but besides using custom strong passwords it can’t hurt to check that the TR-069 client remains disabled. If I remember correctly TR-069 is for isp support staff to remotely login and fix router problems, and to push updates to the router. If you’re just using it as a bridged modem then it’s useless to you and may as well be off. Can’t hurt to do an nmap port scan of your home IP address (via different connection, like mobile hotspot) to see if any strange ports are open which may suggest the modem is exposed. The goal is to scan, hit your asus firewall and get no responses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!