What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
Been running your Beta for a couple of days now... I just want to throw out a huge THANK YOU for your work! Not only does it make features accessible that otherwise would be hidden, but it makes it simple for novice users to be able to manage it as well. So far it's running great for me!

Thank you again for all you effort in this matter! :)
  1. I humbly repeat:
    I would appreciate if you give me needed information.
    As per my request above:
    I would appreciate if you post the Settings: USB1 + USB2 info output.
    Go to Kamoj Menu: Settings and press: Router Internals: USB1 info: Show
    Go to Kamoj Menu: Settings and press: Router Internals: USB2 info: Show

2. Also make screen-dump of Netgear page: "BASIC: ReadySHARE".
    You upload your screen dumps to e.g.
    Code:
    https://imgur.com/upload?beta
    and give link to it, to get full quality.
  3. When you say you unmount the USB device, do you mean you are using Linux commands or
    that you are using the Netgear interface: "BASIC: ReadySHARE: Safely remove USB device" ?
  4. What version of the add-on are you using?
  5. The new capture.jpg is cut/stripped down, so the right end of the output is not visible.
    You upload your screen dumps to e.g.
    Code:
    https://imgur.com/upload?beta
    and give link to it, to get full quality.
  6. Have you ever removed the USB device without first
    using the Netgear interface: "BASIC: ReadySHARE: Safely remove USB device" ?
  7. How did you create/format this sdb USB device?
  8. Please run the following commands and see if the output changes:
    Code:
    /sbin/hotplug2.umount /dev/sdb
    /sbin/hotplug2.mount /dev/sdb
    /sbin/hotplug2.mount /dev/sdb1
  9. Remove all your USB devices and reboot your router.
    After that attach only the A-DATA USB Flash Drive.
    Make screen dumps of information at Router Information, and
    a text output from "Settings: USBx info: Show" again.
  10. Still attach only the A-DATA USB Flash Drive.
    Run the following commands:
    Code:
    nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
    nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
    nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
    nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
    nvram commit
    reboot
  11. How does it look now?
Without this information I'll not be able to understand the issue.

@kamoj absolutely right
yes its a r7800

Im sorry kamoj i just read up and saw the post your talking about

output of your code is
sda sdb

settings were assigned by the r7800
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)
/dev/sdb on /tmp/mnt/sdb type ext3 (rw,nodev,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=writeback)

tried another screenshot to see if its better for you

im a work in progress with linux but whatever i can do let me know.

TIA

@kamoj sorry once again for my ignorance

usb 1

CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb'
USB_BUS='2'
USB_CAT='3.0'
USB_DEV='sda'
USB_DEVID='/dev/sda1'
USB_FILESYS='ntfs'
USB_FREEMEM='497.173 GB'
USB_IVL='0ms'
USB_LABEL='storage'
USB_MANUF='Seagate'
USB_MODEL='Expansion+'
USB_MOUNTID='sda1'
USB_MOUNTING='/tmp/mnt/sda1'
USB_PARTITIONS='sda1'
USB_PORT='USB1'
USB_PROD='Expansion+'
USB_PWR='36mA'
USB_SERIAL='NA4WBFQZ'
USB_SPEED='5000 Mbps'
USB_TOTMEM='931.511'
USB_TOTMEM_B='976759804.000'
USB_USEDMEM='434.338'
USB_USEDMEM_B='455436392.000'
USB_USEDPCT='47%'
USB_VENDOR='Seagate'
USB_VOLUME='storage'

usb 2

CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb'
USB_BUS='3'
USB_CAT='2.0'
USB_DEV='sdb'
USB_DEVID=''
USB_FILESYS='ext3
USB_FREEMEM=' GB'
USB_IVL='31875us'
USB_LABEL='optware
USB_MANUF='A-DATA'
USB_MODEL='USB Flash Drive'
USB_MOUNTID='sdb'
USB_MOUNTING='/tmp/mnt/sda1 /tmp/mnt/sdb'
USB_PARTITIONS='sda1 sdb'
USB_PORT='USB2'
USB_PROD='A-DATA USB Flash Drive'
USB_PWR='100mA'
USB_SERIAL='AA04012700007945'
USB_SPEED='480 Mbps'
USB_TOTMEM=''
USB_TOTMEM_B=''
USB_USEDMEM=''
USB_USEDMEM_B=''
USB_USEDPCT=''
USB_VENDOR='A-DATA'
USB_VOLUME=''

readyshare usb screendump

Have you ever removed the USB device without first
using the Netgear interface: "BASIC: ReadySHARE: Safely remove USB device" ?

I used the readyshare safe removal unless it errored and said drive busy
then i forced it umount -f -l /mnt/sdb

What version of the add-on are you using?
@Voxel 79sf
@kamoj b22

How did you create/format this sdb USB device?

using @Voxel guide to create the flash drive for ssh and swap

Make screen dumps of information at Router Information, and
a text output from "Settings: USBx info: Show" again.

screendump

and usb output

CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda'
USB_BUS='3'
USB_CAT='2.0'
USB_DEV='sda'
USB_DEVID=''
USB_FILESYS='ext3'
USB_FREEMEM='3.017 GB'
USB_IVL='31875us'
USB_LABEL='optware
USB_MANUF='A-DATA'
USB_MODEL='USB Flash Drive'
USB_MOUNTID='sda'
USB_MOUNTING='/tmp/mnt/sda'
USB_PARTITIONS='sda'
USB_PORT='USB2'
USB_PROD='A-DATA USB Flash Drive'
USB_PWR='100mA'
USB_SERIAL='AA04012700007945'
USB_SPEED='480 Mbps'
USB_TOTMEM='3.720'
USB_TOTMEM_B='3900568.000'
USB_USEDMEM='0.514'
USB_USEDMEM_B='538752.000'
USB_USEDPCT='15%'
USB_VENDOR='A-DATA'
USB_VOLUME=''

Commands were run and the drive by itself is recognized correctly.

As soon as i plug in my seagate it reverts back to improperly displaying the A-DATA drive.
Just unplugged the seagate drive and the A-DATA drive is displaying correctly again.

STOP THE PRESSES !!!!!!!!!!!!
@kamoj dont proceed unless you want to try and remedy it. It appears to be the A-DATA drive causing the problem. Ive substituted a number of choices ntfs, ext3, and ext4 in all different combinations. The A-DATA drive causes the glitch on the router information page. All the other drives are displayed correctly doesnt matter if I swap them around usb 1 + 2 as soon as i insert the A-DATA back in the problem resurfaces.
I'm truly sorry about all the time you spent on this :(

OF course of course I updated to b23 and now even the A-DATA drive is being read correctly.
@kamoj your work is outstanding thank you.

Last edited:
Don'y excuse yourself, you are doing a fantastic job in reporting the things not working or could be better!
So thank you sir!

The creation of/formatting USB devices in the R7800 is not 100%.
In the script entware_install.sh I used a special approach to get the device correctly formatted.
You can try that next time for a fully automatic device format, swap file creation and entware installation.

I'm very happy my latest release solved your issue. Thank you for all help! :)
Hope you will continue to support the add-on and looking forward to more of your +/- reports!

@kamoj...
Commands were run and the drive by itself is recognized correctly.

As soon as i plug in my seagate it reverts back to improperly displaying the A-DATA drive.
Just unplugged the seagate drive and the A-DATA drive is displaying correctly again.

STOP THE PRESSES !!!!!!!!!!!!
@kamoj dont proceed unless you want to try and remedy it. It appears to be the A-DATA drive causing the problem. Ive substituted a number of choices ntfs, ext3, and ext4 in all different combinations. The A-DATA drive causes the glitch on the router information page. All the other drives are displayed correctly doesnt matter if I swap them around usb 1 + 2 as soon as i insert the A-DATA back in the problem resurfaces.
I'm truly sorry about all the time you spent on this :(

OF course of course I updated to b23 and now even the A-DATA drive is being read correctly.
@kamoj your work is outstanding thank you.

Last edited:
Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.3b24
---------------------------------------------------
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Stubby: Added: Extended logging
Sets logging level to 7 (most verbose), and keeps the log between Stubby restarts.
- Settings: Services Status: Added "Autostart" as comment.
- Settings: Updated: R7800: Fix Ap-mode WAN port data corruption (Experimental)

Hi everyone,

is there someone who have issues with kamoj5.1b24/Voxel1.79 and igmp proxying ?

I have some freezes randomly.

I use the ISP's iptv box (bouyguestelecom 1Gb/s Fiber from France).

The iptvbox is connected to 1 lan port of R7800 in router mode.
R7800 wan port connected to ISP box with DHCP protocol.

Can someone help me to find logs and resolve this issue ?

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.3b25
---------------------------------------------------
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Stubby: Added: Edit Stubby Configuration
Note: Stubby is crazy picky on syntax, so code takes care of
bad configurations:
1). Try to to correct indentation
2). If still bad, restoring previous configuration.
3). If still bad, restoring default configuration.
Tip: Keep extended logging on while editing stubby configuration!
- Improved logging at reboot by Supervision
(Log to USB device if available, else to router internal at /)

You are not kidding about it being picky! I figured I'd give it a test to see if I could change the upstream resolver... I kept getting the error: Configuration file is not accepted by stubby. Restoring previous configuration .

EDIT - I finally got it figured out. Learning!

Last edited:
One issue that does appear to be happening... I can add and remove # to other servers besides default Cloudflare. However everytime I try to # out Cloudflare, it gives me the error I provided above.

For example... I can activate Quad9 by removing # and have it operate alongside Cloudflare. I can also re-add # and deactivate Quad9. But if I try to add # to deactivate Cloudflare while Quad9 is operating - the error comes up. Indentation looks good, so I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

Suggestion:
Google and learn about the yml format, then edit the configuration with nano.
If still problem, turn to a stubby forum and get help. Then post your findings here.
One issue that does appear to be happening... I can add and remove # to other servers besides default Cloudflare. However everytime I try to # out Cloudflare, it gives me the error I provided above.

For example... I can activate Quad9 by removing # and have it operate alongside Cloudflare. I can also re-add # and deactivate Quad9. But if I try to add # to deactivate Cloudflare while Quad9 is operating - the error comes up. Indentation looks good, so I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

Hello,

Some observations with 5.3b24 and 5.3b25 on my R9000...

1)
I was running AdGuard Home on 5.3b24 and earlier versions. For some reason I had trouble getting it to start after installing 5.3b24/25. It would appear to be OK and I would get the AdGuard menu option added under "Kamoj" but the service was not running and the web page would not load. It worked after a couple of attempts/reboot on 5.3b24. However on 5.3b25 it took several more tries before it finally started with the initial config instead of my saved one. I could not get the backup config to load and found that it is missing on my USB (not sure how I accomplished that one!). I expect I did something incorrectly on 5.3b25 as I've really been pressed for time lately, but since I had similar problems on 5.3b24 (except the backup config loaded), I thought I would mention it.

I re-read the AdGuard FAQ but I didn't notice anything I should do differently, so I am back on DNSCrypt until I have more time to try again.

2)
I had the DNS service stop/restart often (after long intervals without restarts) on both AdGuard and DNSCrypt. There is one time that happened that coincides with a soft restart of OpenVPN. Not sure if this behavior is expected and if the OpenVPN restart is related - but I have attached some log files.

Finally, regarding the reported USB size/free space. 5.3b20 showed the same size and free space as the Netgear ReadyShare page and a check on a Linux machine. 5.3b24 showed the same USB as 85% used versus the "actual" 7.7%. 5.3b25 is back to 7.7%.

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• 5.3b25_supervisor.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 5.3b25_services.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 5.3b25_OVPN.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: KW.
Good report thank you!

The VPN went down because the vpn-connection was report broken by the OpenVPN client itself,
not because the supervision.
You can Off the OpenVPN supervision if not you think so.
Suggest you use UDP instead of TCP for OpenVPN.

DNSCrypt has had problems lately, it reporting FATAL error at my place and supervision restart it every minute.
DNSCrypt has been unstable in general last month or so. Maybe depeding on new Voxel build?
Maybe the add-on. I really don't understand or know why.
Have to keep an eye on this.

The attached list of services is not interesting since it only show what services are
automatically started at boot time.

Nothing regarding DNSCrypt / OpenVPN / AdGuard has changed with the add-on since 5.3b22, so I'm in the dark.

All together with your AdGuard problems as well (Where is that log?), there might
be an internet problem with your connection.

Thank you for the report, very interesting!

Hello,

Some observations with 5.3b24 and 5.3b25 on my R9000...

1)
I was running AdGuard Home on 5.3b24 and earlier versions. For some reason I had trouble getting it to start after installing 5.3b24/25. It would appear to be OK and I would get the AdGuard menu option added under "Kamoj" but the service was not running and the web page would not load. It worked after a couple of attempts/reboot on 5.3b24. However on 5.3b25 it took several more tries before it finally started with the initial config instead of my saved one. I could not get the backup config to load and found that it is missing on my USB (not sure how I accomplished that one!). I expect I did something incorrectly on 5.3b25 as I've really been pressed for time lately, but since I had similar problems on 5.3b24 (except the backup config loaded), I thought I would mention it.

I re-read the AdGuard FAQ but I didn't notice anything I should do differently, so I am back on DNSCrypt until I have more time to try again.

2)
I had the DNS service stop/restart often (after long intervals without restarts) on both AdGuard and DNSCrypt. There is one time that happened that coincides with a soft restart of OpenVPN. Not sure if this behavior is expected and if the OpenVPN restart is related - but I have attached some log files.

Finally, regarding the reported USB size/free space. 5.3b20 showed the same size and free space as the Netgear ReadyShare page and a check on a Linux machine. 5.3b24 showed the same USB as 85% used versus the "actual" 7.7%. 5.3b25 is back to 7.7%.

Best wishes,
BL

Found out what is the DNSCrypt problem @blueliner, and maybe also Stubby @J5150 .
There is a problem to reach cloudflare, so remove cloudflare from the list of servers and it works fine again for me.
But I have several other servers in my DNSCrypt list so I think the program is badly designed to crash because one single server fails...

Maybe also AdGuard depends on cloudflare?

@kamoj just because you said it been problems with dnscrypt and cloudflare I had to check. And it is apparently problems in my logs. But... I have not even noticed cause the move you made, the move that I thougt was cool, but at the same time everything just works so good why all this efforts for automatic restarts and so on. Well here the evidence and I have not even noticed:) Must say Im impressed.

Long gone are the days when you had to feel the panic of a lost connection in the wrong time for me.

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation and the details...I suspected the OpenVPN issue was not related to DNSCrypt because there were several other DNSCrypt restarts that did not result in an OpenVPN restart...but I thought I should mention it. It makes sense to me that the DNSCrypt restarts may be related to the firmware or the add-on, as I have DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 running on three other machines and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I did look at the AdGuard log and all it stated was operator starts/stops for the most part. But it did also have some entries stating the backup config could not be opened because the file was read only. Seems odd since the usb itself is read/write and used for other Kamoj related files (and I had loaded the backup from that usb before). I didn't send the log because of course I deleted that with the backup somehow - and now I am forced to admit it! I would be embarrassed if I wasn't doing something like that all the time... When I get the chance I will try AdGuard again and send the log if I have issues. To be clear, I didn't have any issues with AdGuard up through 5.3b20 ...then I went to 5.3b24 and had the problems on that and 5.3b25 (I think I upgraded to Voxel 1.0.4.43HF at the same time as 5.3b24).

One other interesting thing... I had used ReadyShare to eject my usb and then connected it to an Arch Linux machine to see what it reported for size/free-space. After ejecting it from the Linux machine I plugged it back into the R9000...and got the same high value for used space as I had on 5.3b24. I reboot of the R9000 did not corrected that - perhaps I've just never noticed this behavior before??? I will try to check that out so more too.

Thanks again,
BL

Good report thank you!

The VPN went down because the vpn-connection was report broken by the OpenVPN client itself,
not because the supervision.
You can Off the OpenVPN supervision if not you think so.
Suggest you use UDP instead of TCP for OpenVPN.

DNSCrypt has had problems lately, it reporting FATAL error at my place and supervision restart it every minute.
DNSCrypt has been unstable in general last month or so. Maybe depeding on new Voxel build?
Maybe the add-on. I really don't understand or know why.
Have to keep an eye on this.

The attached list of services is not interesting since it only show what services are
automatically started at boot time.

Nothing regarding DNSCrypt / OpenVPN / AdGuard has changed with the add-on since 5.3b22, so I'm in the dark.

All together with your AdGuard problems as well (Where is that log?), there might
be an internet problem with your connection.

Thank you for the report, very interesting!

Found out what is the DNSCrypt problem @blueliner, and maybe also Stubby @J5150 .
There is a problem to reach cloudflare, so remove cloudflare from the list of servers and it works fine again for me.
But I have several other servers in my DNSCrypt list so I think the program is badly designed to crash because one single server fails...

Maybe also AdGuard depends on cloudflare?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Cloudflare issue with DNSCrypt. I didn't catch that before. I don't use Cloudflare for primary servers but I think I do have it listed as a fallback. I will check...

Interesting with the USB device, but maybe also explaining part of your problem:
The add-on tests the usb-devices to see that if they are read-only or not, not not try to store info on
write-protected/read-only devices, or cd-rom/printer etc, and are does not have zero space available.

That's why the add-on calls the found USBs below as "usable".

You can e.g. run and ssh_keys_install.sh see what the add-on thinks about the USB:
(Just answer the question with n unless you want to install new ssh keys!)
Code:
root@R7800:~$ ssh_keys_install.sh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found the following usable USB devices:
sda mounted as /tmp/mnt/sda1 (fat32). Label:TESTUSB. Model:Generic-USB  SD Reader. Size:2058MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating and installing SSH keys in router and writing tar-backup to USB at:/tmp/mnt/sda1

Do you want to create new ssh keys in the router? [y/n] n
Bad answer. Exit.
Hello,

Thank you for the explanation and the details...I suspected the OpenVPN issue was not related to DNSCrypt because there were several other DNSCrypt restarts that did not result in an OpenVPN restart...but I thought I should mention it. It makes sense to me that the DNSCrypt restarts may be related to the firmware or the add-on, as I have DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 running on three other machines and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I did look at the AdGuard log and all it stated was operator starts/stops for the most part. But it did also have some entries stating the backup config could not be opened because the file was read only. Seems odd since the usb itself is read/write and used for other Kamoj related files (and I had loaded the backup from that usb before). I didn't send the log because of course I deleted that with the backup somehow - and now I am forced to admit it! I would be embarrassed if I wasn't doing something like that all the time... When I get the chance I will try AdGuard again and send the log if I have issues. To be clear, I didn't have any issues with AdGuard up through 5.3b20 ...then I went to 5.3b24 and had the problems on that and 5.3b25 (I think I upgraded to Voxel 1.0.4.43HF at the same time as 5.3b24).

One other interesting thing... I had used ReadyShare to eject my usb and then connected it to an Arch Linux machine to see what it reported for size/free-space. After ejecting it from the Linux machine I plugged it back into the R9000...and got the same high value for used space as I had on 5.3b24. I reboot of the R9000 did not corrected that - perhaps I've just never noticed this behavior before??? I will try to check that out so more too.

Thanks again,
BL

When checking USB with add-on, always check and see the output from the:
  • Settings: USB1 info : Show
  • Settings: USB2 info : Show

Thank you!
FYI: There is an undocumented feature in the Supervision logging that may help you with fault finding,
to get more info about the supervision process, or if you are just curious. Maybe that's something for you? o_O :
Code:
nvram set kamoj_extended_supervision
nvram commit
(reboot not needed)
@kamoj just because you said it been problems with dnscrypt and cloudflare I had to check. And it is apparently problems in my logs. But... I have not even noticed cause the move you made, the move that I thougt was cool, but at the same time everything just works so good why all this efforts for automatic restarts and so on. Well here the evidence and I have not even noticed:) Must say Im impressed.

Long gone are the days when you had to feel the panic of a lost connection in the wrong time for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!