What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
VPN bypassing gets the device list for the device's own identification name.

When you click on 'Connected Devices' you can manually change any names you like - however this is NOT the named list that VPN bypassing recognises as the device names.

To see the device's actual names (that you can still amend), go to Advanced settings, then Setup, then LAN setup.
You can assign a static IP for a specific device and assign it a name.
VPN bypassing will use this name.

I'm not sure on the technical details behind it all, but simply put - each device has its own name listed by the device itself.
On the 'Connected Devices' page, you're just creating a GUI amended name for your own record, whereas on the LAN setup, static IP option, you're changing the name of the device itself - which will be assigned to it across the whole router software in the background.

There is probably another way of doing it without assigning it a static IP, but that's what I found when assigning my devices static IPs.

Hello,

One other thing I forgot to mention...

I did do a factory reset and reinstall of the Voxel firmware and erasure of the add-on settings as I had said I would do to check 5.3b25. It didn't make a difference and it looks like the changes to 5.3b28 corrected the connection/restart issues I was having. The only real issue I have had with 5.3b28 is the one I mentioned with the AdGuard Home install (config) and logs getting put to both USB partitions.

However, I have a question about where the VPN Bypassing gets its device list. You see, when I first installed the beta add-on I had a (device name) typo in my DHCP static address list on the Netgear LAN Setup page. That typo showed up in the Add-on's VPN Bypass list. The incorrect device name remained in the VPN Bypass list even after I corrected it on the LAN Setup page. I assumed that the factory reset and purging the add-on settings (as noted in the FAQ) would correct the typo showing up in the Bypass list...but it didn't. Not a big deal but now I am curious...Is there something else I should do to fix this?

Thanks,
BL

VPN bypassing gets the device list for the device's own identification name.

When you click on 'Connected Devices' you can manually change any names you like - however this is NOT the named list that VPN bypassing recognises as the device names.

To see the device's actual names (that you can still amend), go to Advanced settings, then Setup, then LAN setup.
You can assign a static IP for a specific device and assign it a name.
VPN bypassing will use this name.

I'm not sure on the technical details behind it all, but simply put - each device has its own name listed by the device itself.
On the 'Connected Devices' page, you're just creating a GUI amended name for your own record, whereas on the LAN setup, static IP option, you're changing the name of the device itself - which will be assigned to it across the whole router software in the background.

There is probably another way of doing it without assigning it a static IP, but that's what I found when assigning my devices static IPs.
Hello,

Thank you for replying to my question about changing device names. I am new to Netgear firmware so I appreciate all the information I can get!

My mistake. Looks like I owe you and everyone an apology. I had corrected the typo earlier but apparently reloaded it from a firmware backup and didn't notice it when I looked at the Attached Devices List and the LAN Setup static leases. After reading your reply I looked again and found the typo was in the Attached Devices List (the name was correct in the LAN Setup static leases).

Once I fixed the error in the Attached Devices List, the correct name showed up in the Kamoj VPN Bypass. So I am thinking that perhaps the add-on is geting its info from the Attached Devices List? Anyway I apologize for starting a "wild goose chase" on this one.

Thanks,
BL

I'm away and have phone to write reply only.
Addon use partition labelled optware. Else random due to hot plug code.

Thanks for letting me know about the partition- guess I should have figured that one out. Anyway, I made another partition labeled "optware" and moved my addon data there. The addon picked it up and is using the optware partition for everything now. I expect that will correct the issues I've had with loading the AdGuard backup config. I will let you know after the next time I attempt a reload.

By the way, the Router Information page is now correctly showing three partitions (with correct sizes).

BL

@kamoj
I also want to make a contribution to this fantastic project even if I am not an expert in programming I can say that the latest version works great for me. Thank you very much for your hard work and availability.
My contribution at the moment is the following: it's a few weeks now that PIA is working badly. Not because of the add-on. I'm sure about it.. But they are making updates to the servers and moving to the next generation so there are some "classic" server failures. Today I even noticed that the PIA dns weren't working either. At least, for me.
I checked to see if there are official announcements on their site and there are:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/news/posts/august-19th-2020-important-updated-server-changes-and-related-issues

I'll copy it in case it disappears later:

"In an effort to ensure that users are aware of current issues, we would like to make you aware of a number of important issues that may impact performance as we work to transition to our Next Generation network of servers. Throughout this process, it is possible that there will be changes that temporarily impact the performance of the VPN. However, these issues are expected to be temporary and we are confident that the results of these changes, will have an overwhelmingly positive impact on performance and your VPN experience.

In the past week we have made the following changes to our server(s):
  • Hong Kong has been removed as a result of changes to legislation that may impact user security and privacy. You can read more about this decision here.
We are currently experiencing issues with our configuration files that utilize port 443. We recommend moving to the Next Generation Network and using one of the configuration files from the links below:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-nextgen.zip
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-windows-block-outside-dns-nextgen.zip
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-strong-nextgen.zip
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-ip-nextgen.zip
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-tcp-nextgen.zip
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-strong-tcp-nextgen.zip

Current Outages and Issues

No significant issues reported.

Captcha

• CAPTCHA related issues on our New Zealand server.
  • CAPTCHA related issues on our Australian server locations.
If you are experiencing issues using the above servers, enabling the Next Generation Network will resolve the issue that you are running into..

The following servers are currently experiencing GEO IP Location issues that may impact some IPs, showing your location as being in another country:

• CA Montreal
  • CA Toronto
  • CA Vancouver
  • US Atlanta
  • US Chicago
  • US Dallas
  • US East
  • US Florida
  • US New Jersey
  • US Seattle
  • US Silicon Valley
  • US Washington DC
  • UK London
  • Austria
  • France
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Spain
If you experience issues on the above servers, please toggle on our next gen servers within the application and connect to the server of your choice.

As always, your security and privacy is our number one concern and we are working diligently to ensure that these issues are resolved as quickly as possible. Thank you so much for your patience as we work to create a newer, better Private Internet Access experience."

So, in practice, they recommend switching to the new generation of servers, even as far as OpenVpn is concerned (nothing like this has come out so far).
From my small experience with the Raspberry I think that https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-nextgen.zip corresponds to the current 128 bit
and
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-strong-nextgen.zip to the current 256 bit encryption.

How is it possible to change the source of OpenVpn to update it to new PIA servers (next generation servers)? Or maybe it is better to wait for a next version for people not so skilled in programming like me?
Thanks to you and all the active community that is helping to create something wonderful.
Take care.

Thank your for all encouragement and good information,
Please PM me next week when I'm back home,
I'm in a terrible stress and forget even important things in current situation.
@kamoj
I also want to make a contribution to this fantastic project even if I am not an expert in programming I can say that the latest version works great for me. Thank you very much for your hard work and availability.
My contribution at the moment is the following: it's a few weeks now that PIA is working badly. Not because of the add-on. I'm sure about it.. But they are making updates to the servers and moving to the next generation so there are some "classic" server failures. Today I even noticed that the PIA dns weren't working either. At least, for me.
I checked to see if there are official announcements on their site and there are:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/news/posts/august-19th-2020-important-updated-server-changes-and-related-issues

I'll copy it in case it disappears later:

So, in practice, they recommend switching to the new generation of servers, even as far as OpenVpn is concerned (nothing like this has come out so far).
From my small experience with the Raspberry I think that https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-nextgen.zip corresponds to the current 128 bit
and
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn-strong-nextgen.zip to the current 256 bit encryption.

How is it possible to change the source of OpenVpn to update it to new PIA servers (next generation servers)? Or maybe it is better to wait for a next version for people not so skilled in programming like me?
Thanks to you and all the active community that is helping to create something wonderful.
Take care.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.3b29
--------------------------------------------------
- OpenVPN Client: PIA: Changed to use new "nextgen" servers (@R9000)
- OpenVPN Client: AzireVPN: Added: Italy-Milan.
- Router Information: Added: Flash memory manufacturer (for the most common ones)
- Settings: Router Internals: flash info: Added: Flash memory manufacturer and chip type
- Minor fixes
- FAQ.txt updated

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.3b30
--------------------------------------------------
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Fixed that Stubby with extended logging not want to terminate,
e.g. when switching to DNSCrypt/Adguard Home, causing DNSCrypt start to fail.
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Connection Supervision: Minor changes to logging and restarting.

Hello,

I have installed 5.3b30 on my R9000. Its been running a day so far with a stable connection. No errors in the supervisor log and nothing in the DNSmasq log other than the initial start-up info. I have had zero OpenVPN related connection issues or dropouts on the last few versions. However, it looks like my problems downloading/installing AdGuard Home may be related to OpenVPN on the add-on?

With the VPN connected, the AdGuardHome package won't download and I get the following log message:

2020-08-26 06:41:57 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60400.24:INSTALL: Download Release info.
2020-08-26 06:42:05 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60408.26:INSTALL: Release info found.
2020-08-26 06:42:05 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60408.27:INSTALL: Download Release archive:/tmp/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz
2020-08-26 06:42:15 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60418.28:ERROR: Release archive not found: exit

Yet, I am able to download from Putty using wget. It doesn't matter if the Killswitch is on or off. When I turn off the VPN, then the add-on is able to download AdGuard Home. My VPN is using a blocklist/filter, so I am not sure if this is a problem or if it is caused by something in my particular setup. But if it is the VPN itself filtering AdGuard, wouldn't it do so with wget too? Anyway, I wanted to mention this because of my posts on AdGuard install problems.

Logs are attached ...thank you.
BL

Attachments

• AdGuard_dowload_log.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_2020-08-26_06-45-03.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-26_06-45-03.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 111
Hello again,

I have another observation/question regarding 5.3b30. As I posted earlier, I use an external usb hard drive (with 3 partitions) attached to my R9000. The various add-on back-ups, DNS whitelist files, etc are on this usb drive. This is an old drive and it quit working last night.

I found an even older drive laying around and reformatted it with two nfs partitions (data and optware). I connected the drive to the R9000, and it was recognized/used by the add-on OK. This old drive uses a split usb connector that plugs into two usb ports (one is to help supply power). It is the only usb device connected to the router and is listed in the USB1_info log as sda1/sda2. Nothing is listed in the USB2_info log. Running "blkid" in Putty will tell me the device is sda (1/2). However, I could not cd to sda1 or sda2. Doing "ls" of /mnt shows the partitions as sdb1/2 (not sda). I am able to cd into both partitions as sdb. Switching the two usb cables connected to the R9000 did not change the results...

My old drive always showed correctly as sda. I am also curious because AdGuard Home could not find the whitelist file there like it did before (it did find the file when moved to another network drive). I can however view and use the drive over SAMBA and it is working fine with Plex on the R9000.

I will apologize in advance if this next part may be better as a separate post but since I am not sure if it is related to the add-on or not, here goes:

If I try to connect to the usb drive like I did before (to download or view files for example) using 192.168.1.1/shares/USB_Storage/filename I get:
404 Not Found
This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

If I try 192.168.1.1/USB_Storage/filename as listed in ReadyShare, I get:
No such file or directory.
This is however what connects successfully via SAMBA
AdGuardHome will tell me the file is html and not text.

I am really tired today - I assume I am doing something wrong and don't have another device to try. Anyone have any ideas or could this all be related to the double ended usb drive?

Log files for the sda/sdb issue are attached...

Thanks,
BL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-26_06-16-48.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-26_06-16-48.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 112
  • TOP_log_dualcable_usb.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 117
You mix up or don't understand the difference between device (sda1) and mounting point (sdb1).
With the df command you can see both device and mounting point.
The add-on will use the partition labelled "optware", no matter mounting point or device name.
Hello again,

I have another observation/question regarding 5.3b30. As I posted earlier, I use an external usb hard drive (with 3 partitions) attached to my R9000. The various add-on back-ups, DNS whitelist files, etc are on this usb drive. This is an old drive and it quit working last night.

I found an even older drive laying around and reformatted it with two nfs partitions (data and optware). I connected the drive to the R9000, and it was recognized/used by the add-on OK. This old drive uses a split usb connector that plugs into two usb ports (one is to help supply power). It is the only usb device connected to the router and is listed in the USB1_info log as sda1/sda2. Nothing is listed in the USB2_info log. Running "blkid" in Putty will tell me the device is sda (1/2). However, I could not cd to sda1 or sda2. Doing "ls" of /mnt shows the partitions as sdb1/2 (not sda). I am able to cd into both partitions as sdb. Switching the two usb cables connected to the R9000 did not change the results...

My old drive always showed correctly as sda. I am also curious because AdGuard Home could not find the whitelist file there like it did before (it did find the file when moved to another network drive). I can however view and use the drive over SAMBA and it is working fine with Plex on the R9000.

I will apologize in advance if this next part may be better as a separate post but since I am not sure if it is related to the add-on or not, here goes:

If I try to connect to the usb drive like I did before (to download or view files for example) using 192.168.1.1/shares/USB_Storage/filename I get:
404 Not Found

I am really tired today - I assume I am doing something wrong and don't have another device to try. Anyone have any ideas or could this all be related to the double ended usb drive?

Thanks,
BL

You can try to reset all previous mounts:
Code:
nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot
Hello again,

404 Not Found

Thanks,
BL

Reactions: KW.
Your Adguard Home problem is beacsue of your slow internet connection.
The download simply times out after 10 seconds.
I'll change this timeout in next release.
Meanwhile you can patch it your self:
Code:
sed -i 's/ 10 / 100 /g' /usr/bin/adguard_home.sh

Hello,

I have installed 5.3b30 on my R9000. Its been running a day so far with a stable connection. No errors in the supervisor log and nothing in the DNSmasq log other than the initial start-up info. I have had zero OpenVPN related connection issues or dropouts on the last few versions. However, it looks like my problems downloading/installing AdGuard Home may be related to OpenVPN on the add-on?

With the VPN connected, the AdGuardHome package won't download and I get the following log message:

2020-08-26 06:41:57 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60400.24:INSTALL: Download Release info.
2020-08-26 06:42:05 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60408.26:INSTALL: Release info found.
2020-08-26 06:42:05 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60408.27:INSTALL: Download Release archive:/tmp/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz
2020-08-26 06:42:15 [ADGUARD] adguard_home.sh 3082: 60418.28:ERROR: Release archive not found: exit

Yet, I am able to download from Putty using wget. It doesn't matter if the Killswitch is on or off. When I turn off the VPN, then the add-on is able to download AdGuard Home. My VPN is using a blocklist/filter, so I am not sure if this is a problem or if it is caused by something in my particular setup. But if it is the VPN itself filtering AdGuard, wouldn't it do so with wget too? Anyway, I wanted to mention this because of my posts on AdGuard install problems.

Logs are attached ...thank you.
BL

You mix up or don't understand the difference between device (sda1) and mounting point (sdb1).
With the df command you can see both device and mounting point.
The add-on will use the partition labelled "optware", no matter mounting point or device name.
Hello,

You're right - my bad! Guess that proves just how tired I was...not that I am much good with this stuff anyway. We had a power blip that somehow took out the hard drive I mentioned and messed up one of the computers. I had just finished reinstalling Arch on the computer and noticed a difference on the R9000 USB drive when setting up SAMBA. I must have even missed a typo trying to check the router with df , as I couldn't get it to work.

Anyway, thank you for mentioning it... its one less mystery and all is well, with the router and the computer.

BL

Your Adguard Home problem is beacsue of your slow internet connection.
The download simply times out after 10 seconds.
I'll change this timeout in next release.
Meanwhile you can patch it your self:
Code:
sed -i 's/ 10 / 100 /g' /usr/bin/adguard_home.sh
Thank you for supplying the information to change the timeout setting. After making the change, I was able to successfully download/install AdGuard Home via the add-on!

BL

You can try to reset all previous mounts:
Code:
nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot

Resetting as you outlined corrected the share connection issue. After the reboot, everything is back to normal and working properly.

Thank you,
BL

@mehrzad, did you vote for the router you have to test with? :)

Just updated to 5.3b30 today and for some reason I can't get QOS to turn on. It gives me the "Starting QOS" bar in the middle of the screen, takes about 2 minutes, then stops and says "Cant Start QOS".

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 17.45.54.png

What actions have you taken to help find out what is wrong?
As a beta tester I hope you can help somewhat.
E.g.:
What router you use?
Tried stock FW?
Uninstalled add-on and tried?
What is last working version?
etc.
Just updated to 5.3b30 today and for some reason I can't get QOS to turn on. It gives me the "Starting QOS" bar in the middle of the screen, takes about 2 minutes, then stops and says "Cant Start QOS".

View attachment 25840

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!