What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cancellation

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys!

When using my ASUS router with Virgin Media Gig1 (Hub 4) in modem mode I seem to get increased latency.

This takes my in-game ping from 10-15ms to 60-120ms. Is there anyway to reduce this other than ditch my ASUS router? Speeds are okay 950-1103Mbps down.

Everything is wired CAT 7.

Using Hub 4 standard as router (no ASUS) - I've been using Hub 4 for 5 weeks to get a long-term report:

ud7yky0w

ta30jbsv

Using ASUS with Hub 4 in modem mode (from 6PM yesterday hence red unplugged while switching over):
No long term report yet.

khx290vn

ttpik5bd

I'm planning to purchase AX86U (will this be worth it if I'm just gonna get more latency than stock ISP hub?)

But waiting on a cheeky price drop as Currys said they've discontinued that model and won't be restocked @ £239. Lost out on an eBay bidding war for £170 :(

Will QoS help? I didn't enable it because didn't think I'd need it on Gigabit speeds. Did use it previously on 500Mbps (this was full reset; flushed latest firmware; wiped etc at 6pm).

Given the metronomic nature of the latency spikes I'd ask if you have setup or installed anything on the router that downloads data every 30 minutes? Like a scheduled speed test. If so, disable it and see if the spikes disappear.

This VM Hub 4 modem/router appears to have much faster hardware than AC88U. It uses dual-core 2.5GHz Intel Atom based CPU. It has more processing power than most consumer routers actually.

Given the metronomic nature of the latency spikes I'd ask if you have setup or installed anything on the router that downloads data every 30 minutes? Like a scheduled speed test. If so, disable it and see if the spikes disappear.
I've spdMerlin running every 30 minutes I think the default is every 12/42? Hasn't recorded below 860Mbps.

This VM Hub 4 modem/router appears to have much faster hardware than AC88U. It uses dual-core 2.5GHz Intel Atom based CPU. It has more processing power than most consumer routers actually.
Interesting! I didn't think of the hardware side. What about the AX86U? Sorry I'm not very good with tech parts - just words and numbers to me, ha!

This script may hit router's CPU limitation and give you inaccurate results. For more accurate speedtest run it on a wired PC. VM may not accept data from a secondary router behind their own VM router. For dispute resolution you have to run speedtest using VM provided equipment.

This script may hit router's CPU limitation and give you inaccurate results. For more accurate speedtest run it on a wired PC. VM may not accept data from a secondary router behind their own VM router. For dispute resolution you have to run speedtest using VM provided equipment.

Perfect thanks! I normally always run them on a wired 10/100/1000 Intel PC CAT 7 when testing and reporting to VM with their own Hub 4 on router mode.

I was in router mode for 6-7 weeks while they did troubleshooting in the end they fixed the cable outside and upgraded me to Gig1 at no extra cost for the inconvenience for 8 weeks of 100-200ms ping.

It's since been 10-15ms (using their hub) but I went back to my ASUS yesterday (cause like some of the features over Hub 4) and seeing 60-120ms. I've since removed SpdMerlin as only ever used that as a guide as VM don't accept that and can't remote connect to it.

Only thing I have enabled now is NextDNS CLI.

On your AC88U, if you disable all TrendMicro components and use fast non-encrypted DNS servers, your Internet responsiveness feel will improve and perhaps ping times will stabilize. This router is 7y old already with older gen ARMv7 CPU. Reduce the CPU load or upgrade the router for better experience with your Gigabit ISP. This is how it usually happens - the ISP upgrades your line speed for free and you spend hundreds of dollars to match the speed on your end. Most of the time forced upgrade for no reason, except speedtest satisfaction.

On your AC88U, if you disable all TrendMicro components and use fast non-encrypted DNS servers, your Internet responsiveness feel will improve and perhaps ping times will stabilize. This router is 7y old already with older gen ARMv7 CPU. Reduce the CPU load or upgrade the router for better experience with your Gigabit ISP. This is how it usually happens - the ISP upgrades your line speed for free and you spend hundreds of dollars to match the speed on your end. Most of the time forced upgrade for no reason, except speedtest satisfaction.

I've no TrendMicro services enabled this time I did use it previously but haven't since wiping and re-setting up the router on Gig1.

CPU is showing 3% Core 1 / 2% core 2 idle and 27% core 1 - 15% core 2 while doing stuff/gaming (from network map tab of GUI). 167MB ram used / 345MB free 512 MB total (33%). 18 clients total.

I really want that AX86U but that price just wont drop! No idea why Currys say it's discontinued might have to take a hit and pay £242.74 VM did want £85/month for Gig1 then 50 then 35 then I got it "free" for complaining about 8 week fault.

Disabled SpdMerlin around 5PM definitely reduced the spikes..

o9idvnai

I've no TrendMicro services enabled this time I did use it previously but haven't since wiping and re-setting up the router on Gig1.

CPU is showing 3% Core 1 / 2% core 2 idle and 27% core 1 - 15% core 2 while doing stuff/gaming (from network map tab of GUI). 167MB ram used / 345MB free 512 MB total (33%). 18 clients total.

I really want that AX86U but that price just wont drop! No idea why Currys say it's discontinued might have to take a hit and pay £242.74 VM did want £85/month for Gig1 then 50 then 35 then I got it "free" for complaining about 8 week fault.

Disabled SpdMerlin around 5PM definitely reduced the spikes..

o9idvnai
Currently the RT-AX86U is £139.99 on the ASUS UK store

Intel PUMA are not very known for their good performance. You should avoid these if you can. PUMA 7 is a lot better, but higher latency and latency spikes remain.

I think that must have been a mistake. It's showing now as £262.99 and out of stock. Even the RT-AX86S is shown as £209.99.

Perhaps you were looking at the RT-AX58U page? That model is indeed £139.99 (but also out of stock).

I think that must have been a mistake. It's showing now as £262.99 and out of stock. Even the RT-AX86S is shown as £209.99.

Perhaps you were looking at the RT-AX58U page? That model is indeed £139.99 (but also out of stock).
So it would appear.. I was looking at the RT-AX53U (£78.99) as a mesh node and just browsed the complete range. I have experienced price errors before when trying to follow up on a surprising "good deal"

I saw the RT-AX68S for £139.99 last night on sale on ASUS UK. It's now £209.99 (still less than it was 2 days ago) but when I researched 86S vs 86U the U seemed better(?)

Intel PUMA are not very known for their good performance. You should avoid these if you can. PUMA 7 is a lot better, but higher latency and latency spikes remain.

Yeah, unfortunately, Virgin Media's equipment cannot be bypassed or skipped you've to put it in Modem Mode. I assume this is because no router from ASUS has a Coax connection which is how VM bring it into the home :(

Screenshot_2.png

This is the equipment @Cancellation has. I don't know if VM allows own modems.

I wish! Thanks for the help though it's a LOT more stable since removing SpdMerlin.

Screenshot_3.png

Yeah, unfortunately, Virgin Media's equipment cannot be bypassed or skipped you've to put it in Modem Mode. I assume this is because no router from ASUS has a Coax connection which is how VM bring it into the home :(
It's more to do with the fact that VM are the only cable ISP provider in the UK and they supply a modem as part of the service. Therefore there's no market for alternative modems. That's why you don't see any cable modems for sale in the UK.

I wish! Thanks for the help though it's a LOT more stable since removing SpdMerlin.
That's looking a lot more normal now. Here's my VM graph as a comparison:

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!