What's new

Lost UI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisjs

Occasional Visitor
I'm new to ASUS routers, Merlin, and new here so apologies in advance for any noobing. I can only say that I have tried to google my way out of the hole I am in but would regard factory reset and firmware restore too big a defeat to admit yet, so I will be grateful for any help.

Background - been running Asuswrt-Merlin latest version on a new ac66u for a couple of months with no problems. My aiming point is to run some type of remote web access service on the router so that I can have a UK IP address while traveling abroad. Did some partly successful tests with PPTP, but that didn't let me get out from behind a proxy and firewall I sometimes sit behind. Next step was to give SSH a try, but that was no better with the firewall.

Problem - After turning on SSH it took me a while to realise that the GUI changed port but, after some cursing and thrashing via putty, found my way back in. SSHing out from the firewall didnt work for me either so I went in and turned off SSH, deleted the key etc, but now I seem to have no UI at all. Fortunately internet access, wifi, LAN are all still good.

Attempted fixes - I have tried a range of web gui addresses based on http and https, 192.168.1.1, router.asus.com and tried adding :8080 and :8443 - no access with any combination of them. Similarly I have tried using putty to get back in on 192.168.1.1, also with no success.

I guess it's possible I miss keyed the web gui IP combination that should work, but some advice would be appreciated. Or is this any kind of known problem?

Chrisjs

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!