1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Max Wi-Fi speed on 68U?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Jorvik, Aug 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jorvik

Jorvik New Around Here

Sorry for this being such a noob question but what Wi-Fi speed should one expect from an RT-AC68U using 5Ghz?

I'm lucky enough to have gigabit fibre (LAN connection gives me 850-950 Mbps). Over Wi-Fi using a MacBook Pro on 5Ghz I get approx 550 Mbps.

550 Mbps is wonderful and more than enough for my needs but, just out of curiosity, is this a reasonable speed to expect from the 68U?

I assume the general overheads/interference of Wi-Fi mean that 500- 600 Mbps is the max possible speed outside of a lab environment.

Thanks

2. JDB

JDB Very Senior Member

I believe the router will allow a client to connect at up to 1300Mbps, but your client will need to have a fairly new and high spec Wi-fi card in it. My 2 yr old MacBook Pro can do this, if your Mac is a bit older or a lower spec it is probably limiting you to 600Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JDB

JDB Very Senior Member

[​IMG]

So right now I’m ~25ft from the router and getting 1170Mbps. If I move within 20ft I can get 1300.

4. Jorvik

Jorvik New Around Here

I see a tx rate of 1,300 Mbps in MacOS's wi-fi menu but I assumed that was the max speed possible; not the actual current speed.

This thread (https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4658454/all) suggests wi-fi speeds are about half the link rate.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. JDB

JDB Very Senior Member

For sure it’s a theoretical max, but I get a lot more that 50%, more like 80% when I did throughput tests some time back. So on 1300 you should be able to take full advantage of your 900Mb uplink.
    Have you tested wired or direct on the router that you actually get 900?

6. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

There is the client WiFi connection link rate speed, and then there is speed test/throughput speed. Your bottleneck is most likely the 68U router. The 86U is a newer/faster router/CPU that supports speed tests of ~800 Mbps (don't quote me) but not full Gigabit ISP speed.

I'd wear out your 68U until AX routers/clients become mainstream.

OE

Jorvik likes this.
  7. Jorvik

Jorvik New Around Here

I'm also in an urban area with about a dozen other SSIDs showing up so I guess that will not help. Wired I get 850 - 950 Mbs.

8. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

You may be right... I did not think the 68U could do that. Another factor... wireless is half-duplex, wired is full-duplex.

OE

9. bluzfanmr1

bluzfanmr1 Regular Contributor

Just to verify, what year is your MacBook Pro and did you verify the wifi hardware is capable of ac speeds? My MBP is mid-2012 and so it is limited to n speeds:

Code:
    Supported PHY Modes:    802.11 a/b/g/n